Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help! Garage find 1972 911e targa

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 PM
JoeG05
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Garage find 1972 911e targa

Hi everyone, I'm Joe. In 1985 my uncle parked his 1972 Porsche 911e, 2.4, 5 speed with AC, to work on some small corrosion holes under the front foot peddle area of the bottom of the car. He jacked the two front wheels up on jack stands, removed the front bumper, gas tank and AC unit, pulled back some of the carpeting inside, but never got around to fixing the holes. The car has sat like this without ever being touched, started, anything at all done to it since 1985. Prior to him pulling it into the garage to fix the corrosion someone broke in the passenger side vent window and took the radio.
I am now enlisted to sell this car. I cannot find the hood release or the engine compartment release. I have tried all the buttons and levers and I cannot figure out what each one is for.
There are 2 small levers between the emergency brake, can someone tell me what they each do?

What are the 2 small levers for?

I will add more pics and questions once I see how this pic shows in the thread. I might have to resize before uploading. Thanks for the time.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:38 PM
JoeG05
4th Gear

More pictures...

The paint and body are not in bad shape, just covered in dirt. I cleaned off part of the front finder in the pic.

Carpet is pulled up as he was going to work on filling holes under the front peddle areas. Seats are nice, he kept them covered in the checker cover you see on them.

There is, what I would think is some hood/trunk release, located where most are, but this one is loose and doesn't do anything for me

The oil fill cap hatch is broken off and inside the car on the seat

Paint is in nice shape for it's age and you are mostly seeing reflections of light in it, no major issues with it.

1985 was the year he parked it here

The back is in nice shape as well
Old 07-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Hi Joe. Welcome to Rennlist.

I can answer some of your questions until the real early car experts chime in. First of all, that car is worth a lot of money, even in its current state. Looks like it only has 54,000 miles? Make sure you do the research necessary to understand the value. Others here will give you an idea of real numbers.

First photo: Handle with the red **** is for the heater control. Pull it up opens flapper valves under the car that allow heat to flow forward into the cabin. The handle with the black **** is the hand throttle for cold starts.

For the hood release, are you referring to that little black **** at top left? That actually should open the fuel filler door. The door could be stuck, have a helper gently pull up on it while you pull the ****. The hood release is directly below that ****, under the dash. It should have a key hole so the hood can be locked. You can barely see it in your photo. Pull to release the hood.

The release for the engine lid is on the drivers door pillar, above the latch. Check there with the door open. Pull to release.

Don't force any of these levers too hard. Things could be stuck, and you don't want to break any of the actuating cables.

Do you know where the Targa top is located? It could be folded in the front trunk. (Edit: Oops, not likely if the fuel tank is out.)

You should have a lot of interest in this car. Good luck!

Mark
Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 AM
JoeG05
4th Gear

Thanks, Mark!

I was able to locate and open the engine compartment. I never would have though it was in the door jam!
But the hood pop seems to be broken or it doesn't seem fully together, there is a long loose screw in the middle of the plastic ***. And I do not see a key area in or on it.

I was researching this car for a few days and I do know it's value, I was shocked. Outside ebay, if you were selling this car and you wanted it's full value, where would you list it?

Thanks again for the time.

Joe
Old 07-13-2016, 01:23 AM
JoeG05
4th Gear

And yes I do have the targa top, I had it off for the inside pics.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:54 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

It will be well worth your money to have a mechanic that knows these get the motor running leak it down and check the transmission. A running car no matter minor corrosion has a huge affect on values.

Car looks really nice, needs some work but looks like a good starting point.

If you search here or pelican you will find many posts about starting cars that have been sitting a long time. But if you are not really familiar with Porsches it might be better to have a pro do it.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:34 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Why not keep it?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeG05
Thanks, Mark!

I was able to locate and open the engine compartment. I never would have though it was in the door jam!
But the hood pop seems to be broken or it doesn't seem fully together, there is a long loose screw in the middle of the plastic ***. And I do not see a key area in or on it.

Joe
Yes, I see now that what I thought was a keyhole is a screw. I think that's jury-rigged, but I'm not familiar with this detail of the early cars.

If the cable loses tension, the hood latch is supposed to fail-safe open. Try pushing down on the hood at the latch, in the center near the front bumper. Push down, push the hood towards the windshield, push side to side. Maybe a helper can work the release **** at the same time. You are trying to get the latch loose.

Worse case, get the car higher and you should be able to release it by reaching up through the opening for the fuel tank. Here is a thread that shows how to do it from the outside, drilling a hole:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...out-trunk.html

Since you have access through the fuel tank opening, you shouldn't have to drill, but this should show you how to release the latch from the inside.

Mark

Quick Reply: Help! Garage find 1972 911e targa