Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question on removing whale tail? 89 cab 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 PM
porsche325
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Question on removing whale tail? 89 cab 3.2

Anyone have any knowledge or have done this? It also has the external mounted to tail third brake light id like to remove. I'm assuming that all I will need after will be the deck grill am I correct? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Old 05-25-2016, 01:39 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes correct you'll only need the deck grill.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:35 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be advised, when you remove the tail, you may have some holes to fill and repaint the deck lid. Once that is done, the all you have is the rear engine grill.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:14 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you get someone good to weld those holes instead of filling them with resin. An alternative path would be to buy a used flat lid and save the tailed lid for future resale if that's how it left the factory. If you find one in your color & decent condition it might be more cost effective.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

I'd recommend keeping the third brake light in a box just in case you change your mind. They are expensive.

If you wind up wanting to re-install the third brake light function, it is a different one than the third brake light with the spoiler. The one with the spoiler is taller. The one for a 911 without a spoiler is much shorter since the spoiler is not blocking it.

My 88 cab originally came without a tail. A PO put a tail on and removed the third brake light (the short height one). After just a few weeks driving the car, other cars kept stopping right on my tail as the 911 brake lights are minuscule and hard to see down low with today's vehicles (think SUVs). I got to the point that every time I hit my brakes, my eyes shifted to the rear view mirror to see if I was going to get hit. I took the car in to my mechanic and he had a cab tall third brake light and he installed it. Instantly that stopped folks coming close to me when braking. Just a consideration for you.

Quick Reply: Question on removing whale tail? 89 cab 3.2