Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where to learn?

Old 05-21-2016, 08:47 AM
Dracula
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to learn?

Greetings, this is my first post and I need to know where to go for an in depth breakdown of air cooled 911 models. Delayed gratification is paying off and now I have the means to justify the 911 I have always wanted. I would like to get an air cooled classic but am having a hard time finding a source for the breakdowns of the years for various problems and pitfalls(especially pre 1987/SC). I am really wanting to know reliability, parts availability and if I can work on them myself. I have found a good bit on SC and 3.2s but not much other than that.

I do not need a reply with a breakdown, just a link or a book that will tell me what I need to know. Where do I need to go?
Old 05-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

Welcome! I would start out with The Used 911 Story, by Pete Zimmerman. There is also a Restorer's Guide to Authenticity series that shows the detailed changes from year to year, helpful to know what an older car should come with. There is a lot of parts interchangeability and therefore there are many modified cars out there, so if originality is important to you, you need to understand what to look for.

You'll also want to be prepared to have a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) performed by an expert. You need someone very knowledgeable to give the car a thorough going over, not just mechanically but also looking for hidden rust and poor repairs. This is true whether you are looking at a private sale or a car at a dealer. You don't want to pay top dollar and then find you need to spend another $20K to make things right. It happens.

If you are reasonably mechanically inclined, you will find these cars relatively easy to work on. Many of us will take on an engine rebuild or even a gearbox. Lots of resources out there to help, such as 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 by Wayne Dempsey. Wayne has also authored How to Rebuild and Modify Porsche 911 Engines. Bentley Books publishes pretty comprehensive repair manuals. Factory repair manuals are also available, but expensive.

You'll also get plenty of advice here, as well as on Pelican Parts, where there is another very active forum. If you search the forums, you'll likely find advice and how-to instructions for just about anything.

Most parts are readily available, both factory and aftermarket. The trick is knowing when you can save some money with a non-factory part, and what to avoid. Parts have gotten more expensive, you will also find a thriving used parts market out there. Pelican Parts, Sunset Porsche, Stoddard's, Zims, Vertex, and many others offer parts.

When you find something, ask for opinions on the purchase here and at Pelican. Lots of very knowledgeable advice available.

Good luck, you'll have a blast.

Mark
Old 05-21-2016, 01:08 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

^ great feedback. Also check out the forums on Pelican Parts. I think they have more discussion/ content for the pre 964 over there. Rennlist has much more than Pelican when it comes to 964/993 discussions/content.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:47 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Dracula
These forums are full of great information and mis-information. Air-cooled 911's span 35 years and are represented by very different models. Do your research and try to narrow your focus to an era that best interests you. If you can explain what your goals are with the car, we could probably point you in the right direction. For example, are you looking for a collectable or a DD. Budget? Street or track? Is ac or other modern conveniences important to you.
As far as "delayed gratification paying off" realize that a few years ago all these air-cooled cars were selling for half or less than today. The real Porsche bargains of today are the 996's and 987's.
Best of Luck.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:09 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You will find many spec sheets and even car journalist reviews on older air cooled Porches.
Ive only been in Porche community for 7 years, but Ive read the SCs (with chain tensioner upgraded) and the 3.2 are the best first Porche (aircooled) due to enjoyment factor and reliability, and relatively easy to work on for many items.
I am not a mechanic and dont have many tools, but have done oil changes, and recently engine and trans mounts (1980) and even brake pads on a 996 with the help of RLers and utube videos.
Good luck and have fun in your search and test drives.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All great comments above, but I'd lay out a realistic budget. Both to purchase, and to fix the little things. Because there are always little things, outside of the truly exceptional cars.

I recently went around and around (casually) with a guy who had his heart set on a G50 car. Said he had up-to $50K to spend. Then he found what was a POS in an '84 for under $30K. But it was a long time PCA car, blah blah blah. He just couldn't resist the low-ish buy in. He will be able to spend $20-40K additional on what he's got, and it will never measure up to what he could have spent that $50K on.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Dracula
2nd Gear

Thanks guys. I think I will up my budget to 50ish and get a higher end car. Originally I was planning on a lower tier car and fixing it up myself. I will be semi retired here in 8 or so months so maybe I will still go down that road if I like the nice 87-89 that I was planning on getting. I will buy the book and do all the research I can and see if there is a better year/model out there .I am planning DD that I can get a little racy in. So if you have a better suggestion go ahead. Hopefully I can find a good care here in the Carolinas in 4 or so months after my big deal goes through that I can retire on and get a new ride. Again thanks.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:36 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i second the recommendation for Peter Zimmerman's book The Used 911 Story. Strengths/weaknesses of each model year era are covered in separate chapters. It's a perfect starting point for figuring out what model years you're interested in.

Another book that is a great starting point is Original Porsche 911, which goes into more minute detail and contains lots of data on colors, available options and production numbers as well as excellent descriptions of all aspects of the cars.

Start with these two, and there are also several good buyers' guides available.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:53 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Join the local chapter of PCA. Attend a few of their events, gain knowledge, make friends. May even get to drive a few cars. Welcome to the madness.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:36 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Couldnt tell if you meant DD or DE, either way, strongly suggest you drive some different aircooled 911s since earlier ones: SC, 3.2, and G50 much more raw than 964 and 993 but IMHO you wont touch 964 or 993 C2 coupe for under more like $70ish k for C2 in good condition and lower miles.
Reading and research is great to learn for sure, but nothing like driving the different models.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Dwight Johnson
Advanced

1987-88-89 911 Carrerra............I waited 45 years and did alot of reading. Dj

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to learn?