Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche Billet Engine Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 04:11 AM
Martin Donnon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Billet Engine Cases

As the thread title suggest, we (Willall Racing) are an Australian company that manufacture billet high strength engine cases/blocks, and while we are all over the GTR market (the fastest GTR in the US uses one of our engines), and also the Subaru market with a Billet Boxer engine to take 1000hp I personally have a great love for Porsche and am seriously interested in developing a set of billet cases.....

What I am here for is not to try and sell anything, but to get a feel for exactly what the Porsche scene NEEDS (not just wants) to see with this kind of product. Reproduction RS cases, 356 cases, high strength 997TT cases for 1500hp. What is it? Have a set of 997 Cup cases on the bench at the moment running the CMM machine over them to get an idea.

Anything you guys could tell me would be great!

Have a look at some of the gear we can make -

Billet Subaru block

Billet GTR Engine Block for 3000hp

Billet GTR Engine Block with Billet Front differential housing
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,050 Likes on 747 Posts

that is amazing looking stuff ....

You are on the forum that is up to 89 so your market would be limited with us and there are lots of used cases lying around we can recycle ( as we tend to be cheap bastards ) , but I can tell you that bore scoring is an absolutely huge issue with newer Porsches so you might want to look in the water cooled forum .

That does look more like art work than anything else though
Old 05-19-2016, 10:36 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Martin

This looks like a very ambitious and interesting project. I would suggest posting this on the Early S Registry and Pelican Part forum which has a lot more traffic relating to the earlier, air-cooled cars.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:48 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

looks like great work! I would also suggest posting on the water-cooled section. I think those of us who have water cooled cars have a greater need for this. Many folks with aircooleds are going to want originality. I would also cross post in "off topic."
Old 05-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Martin Donnon
Intermediate

Thanks for all the good feedback guys. As far as early 911s are concerned what would be the demand for replica RS cases etc I wonder? Even maybe the 356 guys wanting good cases. We can finish them so they look almost original too.....
Old 05-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you ship them upside down?
Old 05-19-2016, 10:30 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Donnon
Thanks for all the good feedback guys. As far as early 911s are concerned what would be the demand for replica RS cases etc I wonder? Even maybe the 356 guys wanting good cases. We can finish them so they look almost original too.....
They are very prickly about original numbers. Even a factory replacement on an RS drops the price around 200K.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:50 PM
Martin Donnon
Intermediate

I was thinking more spares for racing, and/or replica RS style cases for Outlaw cars, tributes etc.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:05 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

I was thinking more spares for racing, and/or replica RS style cases for Outlaw cars, tributes etc.
I would think anything of value that could warrant the cost of one of these cases would have been pulled off the race circuit by now.

As these cases (and internals) are very strong, the little demand is kept up by used stuff that has had the top end let go etc.

And yes we are cheap bastards .....
Old 05-20-2016, 03:23 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

I just don't think it would be cost effective. 7R spec 2.7 cases can be used for RS reps and 3.0 SC cases for anything 3.0l RSR class. The homologation rules are very strict and getting these are to make enough power that they require a stronger case just isn't usually happening.

996, 997 and Cayman/Boxster engines are getting expensive. I think that's your best market. That won't be the same as the Mezger Cup engine you have in your workshop.

Look at Polo 4 cylinders if you want to see what 356 hot rodders are doing. There's already a product out there based on a 3.0l 911 engine with only 4 cylinders.

I've seen your Subaru stuff. I think one of my time attack customers runs one. Nice bit of kit. Keep it up.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:25 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

996, 997 and Cayman/Boxster engines are getting expensive. I think that's your best market. That won't be the same as the Mezger Cup engine you have in your workshop.
This
Old 05-22-2016, 10:23 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

t
Post on the Early S Registy and ask. I have an original RS motor in my 73S and am using an early mag case on my ST build and I'd certainly consider putting the RS motor on the shelf to preserve it if the cost wasn't too prohibitive. I did have the car at Chuckwalla this weekend and did 2 30 minutes run sections. A new billet case for the 2.5 twin plug motor I built could have been interesting to consider. Early cases are still generally available but certainly some, like the early aluminum 2 liter cases are pricy while others not much so.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Martin Donnon
Intermediate

You guys are giving us some great info thanks very much, and keep it coming
Old 05-27-2016, 10:42 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

I would make a copy of the 7R case for up to 2.7 size and a hybrid based on the 964 to cover all sizes you need above that. That same base Mezger casing is used all the way up through 2015 in Motorsport, just leave the oil return tube holes blocked and/or removable for earlier oil cooled engines. If you could limit the production cost to just 2 designs you might be able to sell enough to make money, I would resist the urge to make more than that.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:17 AM
berk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are giving us some great info thanks very much, and keep it coming
forget about RS cases, 2.7s or anything older. Make 3.6 aircooled cases. You will sell a boat load.

Quick Reply: Porsche Billet Engine Cases