Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sunroof Part Needed - 87 Coupe -

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Sunroof Part Needed - 87 Coupe -

I am looking for a part for my sunroof repair. The guides for the sunroof are attached to the sunroof at the rear with a bracket. That bracket comes with the guide, and it does appear that those parts are available separately from the cable assembly. In my case the cable and guide are fine, but the bolt and bushing that connect the bracket to the guide went missing. The little threaded backing plate was found, but the bolt and bushing have escaped.

On the off chance that someone has replaced their guide with new, I am hoping I can find just the bolt and bushing.

First pic is the guide and bracket in place on the car. This is the passenger side, but the parts are identical for both sides.

Sunroof mounting bracket

Second image is the bolt and bushing that went AWOL. I have the other parts.

Missing bolt and bushing

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Best Regards
Jeff
Old 05-26-2016, 10:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Ok I got lucky with this. I had the same thing happen. That bolt,fell out. And sunroof got all jacked. I fished around with a magnet retriever tool and found all the parts. Maybe you can get lucky too!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:26 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same issue - the bolt came out never to be found again. I remember spending many weeks searching for it - I believe I finally found the part from dC Automotive.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:31 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Guys lets not get too caught up. That looks like a standard metric bolt. The bushing i am sure can be fabricated or bought locally. Once you have it measured
Old 05-27-2016, 02:17 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The bolt is a M4 x 15mm, easy enough to find. The bushing, well that I was unable to find. searched for bushings but never found it, I am sure a machinist could make one but I am not a machinist. I ended up fabricating the bushing out of some nylon tubing that was slightly oversized OD and undersized ID. I used locktite to help keep the bolt in place since the nylon will deform under pressure.

I did fish around with magnet but did not find the bolt and bushing, it either made a clean getaway or found a good hiding place.

Works fine now, and while the nylon is probably not as good as a metal bushing it sees so little use that it does not matter much.

Thanks to all that responded.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Part Needed - 87 Coupe -