Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 for tall drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:55 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 911 for tall drivers?

I'm 6'9". Corvettes are a little tight but I make them work. My wife drives a cayenne. I have a Ferrari 360 which is fine, but I want an affordable 911 just as a fun car- take to the track occasionally, take to car meets occasionally, run some autocross for fun.

I don't need the best "sports" car, and in fact I'd be satisfied with a cayman or boxster.

The problem with the boxster though is I literally cannot fit. I cannot even get IN the car to PRETEND to fit. I haven't been in the new ones though.

I fit in fieros fine, I even raced fieros when I was younger with a helmet on!

I read 911s are one of the best sportscars for tall drivers.

I sat in an older one and it definitely didn't feel so.

What years do they get "good" for tall drivers?
Old 04-29-2016, 11:55 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Get a Targa, problem fixed!

On a serious note, I feel you. I'm only 6" 1' and I can't fit with a helmet on.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:41 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had NBA player customers with them, but I don't think any were 6'9" like you. The one true enthusiast was a '73 RS owned by Paul Westphal. Back when they were $20K cars.

As above, Targa. Or cab.

And you can do some just-more-than-minor surgery to put the seat bascially on the floor.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 6'4" with a longer than average upperbody - I have driven 991, 964, Carrera 3.2 & 1973 911S and all are a reasonable fit, 991 probably is the roomiest 911 I've driven but it has no sunroof which is a huge gain in height. With older cars such as 964 or 3.2 Carrera you have the option of sunroof delete (by re-skinning the roof or welding in the blank) and it is also possible to use custom rails to lower the seat, some folk even remove a couple of springs from the seat base so as to bed in to the seat. I'd say you'd be fine as long as you are willing to go the extra mile via the said means.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:12 AM
suckho
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 27 Posts

No-sunroof cars have more headroom. I am 195cm (around 6'5") and have 1982 911 SC with no sunroof. The biggest problem is the lack of room between steering wheel, shifter, and my knee. Especially when I have my foot on brake pedal. No problem with headroom, BUT I have never tried with helmet on. My brother has 1981 911 SC with sunroof and there is significantly less head room. Not impossible to drive, but without sunroof is better.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:28 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

You an use an eccentric spacer on steering wheel to get a bit more legroom under the s/wheel.

Custom rails that lower the seat will also increase legroom under S/wheel.

Last edited by Mondrian; 04-30-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Years ago, I had 6' 8" client (ex NFL) with a '74 911. He fit just fine after re-locating the seat mounts rearward & down and using some Recaro seats which have a thinner seat cushion. We added a Momo steering wheel and modified the pedals to accommodate his large feet as well.

It required some time and patience, but he was able to enjoy that car for many years.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:48 PM
suckho
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mondrian
You an use an eccentric spacer on steering wheel to get a bit more legroom under the s/wheel.
The original steering wheel is eccentric, but it is rather large (37cm) and close to the dash (and knees). I have 35cm Momo Prototipo wheel with two spacers: one straight 1/2" thick and one eccentric 1/2" thick with ~1/2" offset. Much better than the original setup. Short shift kit would probably help as well when on 1st or 2nd gear.

Custom rails that lower the seat will also increase legroom under S/wheel.
Never thought about that.. Not sure if I would like it like that.. I'm quite happy with my setup now.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:00 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

From the sounds of it I'm probably best looking at water cooled. I have a soft spot for the air cooled, but maybe I need to look at the other end of the spectrum. I just always read about these NBA stars in the 70s and 80s driving their 911s. I can't even pretend to get in a 70s corvette.

I'm not opposed to making "Modifications", but that makes me wary on early models because I'm not going to destroy the value of a car to that extent. I was already nervous about trying to casually track and autocross an earlier model, but know lots of people do effectively.

From the sounds of it, I'm best stepping into the modern era and the 997 is "good" and 991 is "best", but most can work with enough work. The 996 was a little tight, but I learned of a gt3 internal trim piece that frees up legroom, and then the steering wheel spacers mentioned by Mondrian/suckho is frequently discussed on the related forums. That convo is probably better to move to the 997/991 arena, but I was hoping I was just missing something on the earlier years where the magic can happen for us taller drivers.

The idea of buying an "all in 1" (show, enjoy, work on myself, and occasionally race) was nice, but maybe I should just take a later model 997 or 991 as a fun car and then put the early models on the back burner until I find one that just captures my attention, and pick it up more as a garage queen. I could probably justify it just in wear and tear savings alone! ha.

If I give up on the helmet and similar, with most cars in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s the big static steering wheels, is it true that the 911s stay pretty consistent by their time period? (maybe with an exception of the targas logically)? or are there some sweet spots worth special consideration to at least try for myself?

I'm just worried I'm going to face the same thing I did when I bought my Ferrari. I loved it, but I truly loved the Dino's and GTBs all the way up to the world changing Testarossa. Then I bought the "smart" modern equivalent and bought the 360. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the 360 and its a great car, but it wasn't what I "wanted" for 30 years. Now in the Porsche front I'm feeling compelled to make the same decision... haha. dagone rationality.

Anyway, I want to keep this on topic and not goo too far off track. I'll leave it at this:

If I give up on the helmet and racing, is there a 911 thats better than the others or are they all the same? I know there are modifications and such that can be done, but to stay apples to apples. We can throw other air cooled in there. I'd like to know how the 993 fairs, but thats actually my least favorite for some weird reason (I know lots of people love them). Frankly the original 911 is my favorite and the 964 doesn't bother me.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:25 PM
suckho
Instructor

Again.. no sunroof = more headroom. Also, steering wheel mods are not permanent, you wont ruin your car if you save the original parts.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:30 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

Originally Posted by suckho
Again.. no sunroof = more headroom. Also, steering wheel mods are not permanent, you wont ruin your car if you save the original parts.
Very good thing to consider ( unlike the fieros and vettes... You NEED the glass sunroof or glass top for more headroom in those!)

Thanks
Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

So you want to buy a $100,000 modern 991 so as not to destroy the value of a $50,000 3.2 carrera? How much do you recon that 991 or 997 is going to devalue over the next few years?
Old 04-30-2016, 11:01 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

So you want to buy a $100,000 modern 991 so as not to destroy the value of a $50,000 3.2 carrera? How much do you recon that 991 or 997 is going to devalue over the next few years?
I have no qualms butchering a modern vehicle. Devaluing a classic is personally a challenge for me. The value proposition is also very different... Showing up to the track or at a car show, I'll push the limits on a 991 or 997, but on a classic 911 I'd value authenticism. For example, when I had a C5and was competitive in the SCCA, I heavily modified it and stepped up the classes, but even in my classics camaro I stick to stock or stock like parts because that is what I value... The nostalgic history. Sure stainless brake lines may sneak in.

So maybe it's not so much just financial value, but more frame of mind and value to me. I don't expect everyone else to feel or behave the same way!

I could mention the 911s will likely appreciate, and that 991s are now available in the 50s and higher mileage examples already in the high 40s. Talk about a steal... And as soon as gen 8 shows up probably in 2017, 991s should drop further hitting 997 prices on a few years l. But frankly id probably buy... And properly butcher... A 997 instead.

997s are already getting cheap for what they are.

But what is each car to you? Each car I keep has a purpose. And each will displace something else. There are places for modern supercars, middle of the line with horses, and classics... And blurring of those lines along the way!
Old 04-30-2016, 11:31 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by arachnyd
I have no qualms butchering a modern vehicle. Devaluing a classic is personally a challenge for me. The value proposition is also very different... Showing up to the track or at a car show, I'll push the limits on a 991 or 997, but on a classic 911 I'd value authenticism. For example, when I had a C5and was competitive in the SCCA, I heavily modified it and stepped up the classes, but even in my classics camaro I stick to stock or stock like parts because that is what I value... The nostalgic history. Sure stainless brake lines may sneak in.

So maybe it's not so much just financial value, but more frame of mind and value to me. I don't expect everyone else to feel or behave the same way!
I feel the same. People who put all those nosebleed track mods on new GT3s, with cages and scrotch harnesses and that stuff, who cares, good for them.
But show me a beautiful irish green 911 with chrome trim that got butchered into a slantnose red sheeper with welded flares and 345s in the rear and a big wing and a Turbo badge, my heart cries.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

I know what you mean as i feel the same but its an easy fix, go buy one that has already been modified, lots of outlaw/backdates/track cars out there for less than a mint showroom car. I have a 991 and a 3.2 but I'd rather play with the 3.2 due to visceral appeal. I suspect running costs on track are cheaper too. If you have the itch there is only one way to scratch it so don't go wasting money on other alternatives (ask me how I know)!

Quick Reply: 911 for tall drivers?