Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1986 911 bumper removal - help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:00 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1986 911 bumper removal - help!

I’m trying to do some repairs to the front bumper, and I cannot for the life of me remove it. I removed the small side fender panels and baffles, took off the front bumper rubber strip, removed the nuts from the four main bolts, but the bumper just will not budge. Is there a possible corrosion / welding of parts that can happen in 30 years? I've pulled on it so hard the whole car moves. This doesn't seem right.... What am I missing? Every writeup I've seen online so far says that at this point the bumper should just "fall free" but there is no movement at all.

I’m really at a loss, so any insight would be helpful!
Old 04-26-2016, 11:38 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 40 Posts

This is typical. There is a rubber grommet between the impact shock and the bumper. I don't know why, but that thing glues itself to the bumper and the shock. You need to take a small diameter/long length flat head screwdriver and get it in between there from each side where the two nuts attach. You'll see an opening where the impact strip attached on the far right and left. Pry a little and it should pop the bumper right off. Be very mindful of the paint and the turn indicator. You should get a little more clearance if you take the lenz off.

MAKE SURE to tape off your lower valance or you will risk having the bumper scratch it as it tends to swing down on the sides when you remove it. (Ask me how I know.) To be 100% safe, drop the lower valance.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:58 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Thank you very much. Those rubber seals must have just turned into industrial strength glue. I think I will remove the lower valence first - just two screws from the inside of the boot, yes?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those 2 can turn into a bit of an effort too, have know guys who have had to resort to more drastic measures to get them off.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:47 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Thank you very much. Those rubber seals must have just turned into industrial strength glue. I think I will remove the lower valence first - just two screws from the inside of the boot, yes?
There are also two tabs with bolts on the far right and left. They would have been underneath the bumper bellows (accordion looking things). See pictures below.

When you put it back together, make sure to put the bumper on first. I go in this order - Bumper, bellows, lower valance. It helps to have the front wheels off too and the car up on jack stands. Much better access to everything - especially those two tabs.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:40 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Thanks so much! This has been extremely helpful.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:39 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much! This has been extremely helpful.
Glad to help. If you have any other questions, let me know. I just finished disassembling/reassembling my front end. All this is fresh on my mind!
Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1stgear
Glad to help. If you have any other questions, let me know. I just finished disassembling/reassembling my front end. All this is fresh on my mind!
Will do, thanks again. All of this is to replace the bumper smile, and also just clean out the gunk that got down in there with having a wonky bumper smile. :-)
Old 05-10-2016, 04:58 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

1stgear - thank you! Got the bumper off. Indeed the rubber pads had just kind of turned to glue. I used some clamps to apply force between the back of the bumper and the front of the bolt, basically slowly pulling the bumper off by pushing against the bolts themselves. Worked perfectly.

Now I can actually start work - body repair, bumper smile replacement, and new headlamp washer nozzles.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:31 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

I used some clamps to apply force between the back of the bumper and the front of the bolt, basically slowly pulling the bumper off by pushing against the bolts themselves. Worked perfectly.
SMART! Please post up some pictures of your finished work.

Quick Reply: 1986 911 bumper removal - help!