Road Trip: SF -> Big Sur -> LA -> Vegas -> Grand Canyon -> Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:45 AM
michaellitt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip: SF -> Big Sur -> LA -> Vegas -> Grand Canyon -> Toronto

Hey all,

2 friends of mine, our partners, 2 videographers and a photographer are going to be picking up new-to-us 911's (a 1970 911E, a 1988 Targa and a 1987 930) and will be driving them from SF, South through LA, across to Vegas and the Grand Canyon and eventually home (near Toronto) on historic Route 66.

This is part of a film project celebrating the past and future of the automobile.

Posting here to gauge anyone's interest in jumping in for the odd leg of the drive. Would be nice to grow the stable of cars on the rip (& have some friendly faces that could help us out in a bind).

SCHEDULE-ISH
May 2: San Francisco to Big Sur
May 3: Big Sur to Los Angeles (Laguna laps)
May 4: Los Angeles to Las Vegas (w Magnus)
May 5: Las Vegas to Grand Canyon
May 6: Grand Canyon to TX, somewhere
May 7: Texas to Louisville (maybe)
May 8: Louisville to Detroit
May 9: Detroit to Kitchener

We'll post our location(s), etc. on a daily basis to this thread as well as some prose (by my wife) regarding her experience as we plan and execute.

"Soon, the majority of automobiles on the road will be driving themselves. Soon after that, they will all be. The global implications of this are enormous. Virtual Reality will replace real life experiences (it already is). Literal shopping carts will become a thing of the past (sorry, Bubbles). Our life decisions are executed virtually and the consequences that impact our real lives from those decisions, manifest virtually. In other words, experiences we grew up taking for granted are becoming endangered. Soon, they will become extinct. All of us know that there are both good and bad reasons behind why this is happening. And all of us know that the future –while sometimes frightening—is something that must be respected. Preserved. We all have a responsibility to see through where these technological innovations will take us. But first, before we six get lost in the future, we’re losing ourselves in the past."

via the films website: http://www.endangeredexperiences.com/

The cars:

1988 Targa

1987 930

1970 911E

Cheers!
Old 04-26-2016, 11:13 AM
ThatDaveDude
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a great trip. My wife and I just returned yesterday from a 6-day trip from SF to Santa Barbara, so my only caveat/advice would be that you aren't leaving yourself enough time on the SF - Big Sur - Los Angeles trip. Especially if you are going to do laps at Laguna. Also, Laguna Seca would be between SF and Big Sur. Once you have gone as far south as Big Sur, Laguna would be a slight back-track northward. I'd suggest you schedule a stop in Pismo Beach between Big Sur and Santa Barbara to ride dune buggies on the enormous sand dunes!

We went SF- Monterey-Paso Robles-Pismo-Solvang-Santa Barbara in a McLaren 12C. It got a little dirty, but we made good time! Attended the Annual Datsun Roadster Classic in Solvang, although I didn't bring my Roadster.

Last edited by ThatDaveDude; 04-27-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Having done the first part of that trip many times (as segments, not a trip), my head hurt reading that itinerary.

(Totally concur with the Big Sur-Laguna-LA in a day caution.)

However you end up doing it, you'll have a great time. And a sore back.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

May 4: Los Angeles to Las Vegas (w Magnus)

I'm a few exits west of the 15 on the 210 in Rancho Cucamonga and would love to tag along for a while. Will keep an eye out for updates and will forward my contact info.
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2016, 06:25 PM
michaellitt
Intermediate

Great feedback - schedule / agenda is up for debate as we go. Will update daily.

Re: Sore back / butt, the '70 (my car) has sparco buckets >_
Old 04-26-2016, 07:21 PM
74 911s
Intermediate

Love to cruise with you guys here in Vegas. I'm sure you have plans to do the Strip but how about redrock?
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2016, 08:59 PM
michaellitt
Intermediate

In! Looks amazing.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:06 AM
salo65
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hit me up when you get to Vegas!! We'll ride together through Lake Mead. Awesome road!
Old 04-27-2016, 03:22 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
May 4: Los Angeles to Las Vegas (w Magnus) I'm a few exits west of the 15 on the 210 in Rancho Cucamonga and would love to tag along for a while. Will keep an eye out for updates and will forward my contact info.
Count me in (as long as I'm not stuck at work). I'm practically Amber Lamp's neighbor. Keeping an eye out for updates too.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:39 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome looking road trip with Porches.
Cant wait to see your film.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

That is an extremely aggressive schedule especially given what you are attempting to accomplish.

You'll also be missing out on the best driving roads by following US 66.

I may be able to join for the drive out of SF but unsure at this time...
Old 04-27-2016, 06:59 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

thank you very much, love your intro and raison d'etre. if you ever make it way out East, let us know, we have some nice twisty roads and boatloads of P-cars.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:32 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

AWESOME!

Did the Hwy 1 road trip from SF down to SD last year (but in a rented Camaro SS) doing it in the 911's will be amazing!

Can't wait to follow along.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of 66 is awful, very rough and generally disappointing. After lurching along for a number of miles in my 85, my wife and I opted for the cursed Interstate. From LA toward Death Valley ( which should be on the agenda by the way) 66 seems a lost cause...at least it was three years ago. Other cool places are the Sierra Nevada where the Sequoias reside. We turned north off the interstate toward Death Valley and at dusk, drove one of the coolest environments I have ever experienced. Think Willey Coyote/Road runner world, no traffic, long shadows of strange rock formations. California is chock a block with great roads and environments suited to those cars. Have a great time!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If I were from out of town and wanted to "drive route 66" I'd get off the 15 at Devore, go north on 66 one exit, get back on the 15 and call it a day. Or go south two blocks from my house to Foothill blvd that used to be route 66. I wouldn't waist a second in the desert trying to recreate a highway experience that was dead long before I was born.

Quick Reply: Road Trip: SF -> Big Sur -> LA -> Vegas -> Grand Canyon -> Toronto