Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 sc fuel tank remove clean / replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:45 PM
911Truther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 sc fuel tank remove clean / replace

wow !! though it was just the pump... the tank is full of debris any easy way to remove that escapes captain obvious thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 07:59 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

I think it is going to depend on how bad it is. How did it get that way?

Are you looking through the fuel sender opening? There is a baffle that runs down the middle of the tank. On the other side is the plastic swirl pot that SCs use to help prevent fuel starvation under hard cornering.

First step is to siphon out as much fuel as you can. Then you can disconnect the fuel pump hose and finish draining from underneath. From underneath you'll also see a large hex fitting. That lets you remove the fuel filter, which is inside the swirl pot. Use a spark plug socket mounted on an extension backwards - the hex on the socket should fit the filter fitting.

How that filter looks will give you an idea of how nasty things are in the swirl pot. You'll have to clean that out from that filter hole. The swirl pot lid is held on with metal clips, but you can't get to it without cutting an access hole in the top of the tank.

Once you have the filter out and the tank drained, I would remove the tank from the car. You can wash it out with fuel and steel shot that you swirl around to loosen the rust. You can also use apple cider vinegar, which is a lot safer.

Once clean, dry the tank (I would use alcohol to rinse out the water). Maybe use a garden sprayer to spray the inside the tank with WD40 to keep it from rusting.

Here are some Pelican threads with photos of the inside of the tank - I think that will help you better understand what you are up against.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-gas-tank.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...swirl-pot.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...k-acetone.html

I'm sure there are a lot of threads on RL as well, but I just don't have them bookmarked. Use the Advanced Search and see what else you can come up with.

Mark
Old 02-07-2016, 10:58 PM
911Truther
Intermediate

This information is on the spot ... swirl pot screen is clean enough to see through ... able to roll it around and drop out about a cup of loose rust from the fill tube ... took the shop vac on a small hose and got all the loose rust out of it ... looking to try the available interior sealer products and maybe a pressure test before I put it back in ... thanks again for the solid information
Old 02-08-2016, 12:57 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

No sealer! I meant to note that in my reply, but I forgot. It won't permanently stick to the swirl pot. It will flake off over time and clog everything up.

Mark
Old 02-08-2016, 01:33 AM
911Truther
Intermediate

Yes I would have to agree .. some of that stuff I have seen being poured down the fill pipe to "seal" the inside looks like a mess ... I think I am lucky the tank interior is in pretty good shape .. maybe a vinegar wash and seal it back up thanks
Old 02-08-2016, 05:43 PM
POR-15
Former Vendor

POR-15 Fuel Tank Repair Kit comes with everything you need to clean, prep and permanently seal your tank. It will not peel or chip. It is a permanent sealer.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tan...-Kit_p_62.html

Quick Reply: 911 sc fuel tank remove clean / replace