Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1st time Porsche buyer, 911 or Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:33 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care what you say, but it is flat imprudent to ignore the sheer number of IMS failures, period.

I would not look at a Cayman with IMS. I believe in 2007 Porsche did away with the IMS.

The Cayman S has a Sport mode button, which I call the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang button. It changes the valve timing, ignition advance, and even exhaust sound. It also changes dampener valve settings. Basically, it makes the Cayman feel like an air cooled car: nimble, and quick throttle response, with a nice exhaust note. What you'll notice when comparing the two choices side by side, is the vast amount of plastic in the newer cars. The engineering is superb, but the build quality says "newer BMW". The car just snaps together like a giant Tupperware.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:43 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I should clarify that I'm talking about a '78 SC, '84 Carrera, and '11 Cayman S.
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2016, 11:10 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote 2009 and above Cayman! No dreaded IMS to deal with.

Beginning with MY09, the M97 engine was retired and was replaced with the 9A1 engine which features improvements such as direct fuel injection and more notably, the lack of an intermediate shaft or IMS bearing.

Will add one eventually but keeping my SC!

Old 02-03-2016, 11:15 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

^ Was it '09? If so, then I stand corrected on the date. I agree completely about the 9A motor being superior (no IMS).
Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
^ Was it '09? If so, then I stand corrected on the date. I agree completely about the 9A motor being superior (no IMS).
'09 for sure.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:14 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rusnak
I don't care what you say, but it is flat imprudent to ignore the sheer number of IMS failures, period.

I would not look at a Cayman with IMS. I believe in 2007 Porsche did away with the IMS.

The Cayman S has a Sport mode button, which I call the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang button. It changes the valve timing, ignition advance, and even exhaust sound. It also changes dampener valve settings. Basically, it makes the Cayman feel like an air cooled car: nimble, and quick throttle response, with a nice exhaust note. What you'll notice when comparing the two choices side by side, is the vast amount of plastic in the newer cars. The engineering is superb, but the build quality says "newer BMW". The car just snaps together like a giant Tupperware.

This appears to be an academic discussion as the original poster seems to have left the building after just one post.

But I would vote for the 2007 - 2008 Cayman over a 2001 - 2004 996 911.

For the record, the original 986 Boxster and 996 911 came with the M96 Engine which (for both 986 and 996) suffered from IMS failure that would completely destroy the engine. The M96 was the first water-cooled engine used by Porsche in the 911 (and the first Boxsters).

In 2006, the 987 Boxster and the very first 987 Cayman were introduced both with the M97 motor. The M97 motor has a much improved IMS design which seldom fails.

So IMS is not an issue for any Cayman.

For the earlier 996 and 986, an after market IMS replacement is available and if I bought one of those cars, I would have that done.

The IMS in the 987 M97 engine can be replaced also but it is much more difficult and expensive and really not needed.

A bigger problem with the M97 (and the M96) is insufficient lubrication causing oil starvation during high-G turns. So guys that track these cars sometimes also have after-market oiling systems installed. A PPI for an M97 engined car should include an inspection for bore scoring inside the cylinders.

Porsche was aware of the oil starvation issue at the outset of the first M96 water cooled engines and rated them as capable of 0.8 G turns or less. That's why they had to use a different engine for the 996 911 Turbo and GT3 cars.

In 2009 for the Cayman and Boxster (maybe a year earlier for the 997 911), Porsche introduced a completely redesigned engine called the 9A1. As stated, this engine has no IMS, is DFI and has a far superior lubrication system. At this time, the PDK double clutch automatic transmission replaced the Tiptronic automatic transmission. This was a big improvement for those not using MT. These cars are called 987.2.

Because of these big improvements, Caymans made before 2009 (987.1) go for less money than 987.2.

Yes, the Cayman has more plastic in it than my 1988 911 Carrera, but I believe the interior quality is actually better on a 987.1 Cayman than on a 996 911.

So, the 2001 - 2004 M96 996 911 that the OP was considering is much more susceptible to IMS failure though that can fixed and really is not Porsche's best interior.

The 2007-2008 M97 987.1 Cayman is much less susceptible to IMS - really not an issue. But you should consider upgrades to the lubrication system if you want to track M97 cars.

All this said in the wrong forum for an OP who did not stay around to get an answer. Oh well.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:00 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ The intermediate shaft BEARING is the problem. (I have never understood how you can acronym in-ter-me-di-ate shaft bear-ing into "IMS.")

And Porsche most certainly did have water cooled flat sixes prior to the M96. Albeit limited production in the 959, and laughably small production in the 935 + pure race chassis which used the flat six.

9A1 was an across-the-board introduction for MY09, when production car PDK also came along.

(We all do realize our air cooled sixes + water cooled Turbo/GT3/racing variants have an intermediate shaft set in plain bearings, directly gear driven by the crankshaft? In other words, basically bulletproof.)
Old 02-05-2016, 02:11 AM
Woodruffian
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
^^^ The intermediate shaft BEARING is the problem. (I have never understood how you can acronym in-ter-me-di-ate shaft bear-ing into "IMS.")
I have been trying to figure that one out for years. Maybe IMS just sounded better than ISB.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As what guys have said before me, there appears to be reliable methods to mitigate the risk of driving a car equipped with the IMS/ISB in the affected engines. However in my mind, the lube question would be a bigger unknown and would likely "curb my enthusiasm" when pulling g's in one of these cars. Out in the market place, the going prices for those cars allow for a lot of improvements to be made after purchase. Knowing a crate engine from Porsche for these cars cost $25-30k, a buyer should go in with both eyes open. Cheers
Old 02-05-2016, 11:12 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

From what Porche mechanics told me 911 and Cayman/Boxters all affected by IMS issue thru 2008, so 2009 forward you will be good, but I guess that is controversial based on knowledgeable RLers.
I still contend, driving 996s and Caymans, a 2003/2004 C4S will surprise how good the interior parts and build of this car is, since it has all the Turbo model upgrades inside, exterior, and most of the suspension. IMO you get big value in a 996 ( or a 2005-2008) with corrected IMS, if you cannot handle the headlights of the 996. I have heard the turbo has a beefier rear suspension to accomodate the extra weight of the turbo engine.
Caymans on track very quick especially in hands of skilled driver.
Like paint colors, very individualistic,that s why if you have ability to drive several models it will help immensely regardless of these opinions.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:17 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tgil
From what Porche mechanics told me 911 and Cayman/Boxters all affected by IMS issue thru 2008, so 2009 forward you will be good, but I guess that is controversial based on knowledgeable RLers.
I still contend, driving 996s and Caymans, a 2003/2004 C4S will surprise how good the interior parts and build of this car is, since it has all the Turbo model upgrades inside, exterior, and most of the suspension. IMO you get big value in a 996 ( or a 2005-2008) with corrected IMS, if you cannot handle the headlights of the 996. I have heard the turbo has a beefier rear suspension to accomodate the extra weight of the turbo engine.
Caymans on track very quick especially in hands of skilled driver.
Like paint colors, very individualistic,that s why if you have ability to drive several models it will help immensely regardless of these opinions.
In that they have an IMS yes. But on the forum I believe we haven't yet had a documented failure of a 2006-2008 car. So the fix Porsche implemented in 2006 seems to have worked.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

The Cayman is a very nicely done car. But I am a guy who simply needs a backseat.

Many don't realize that the entire back section of the Cayman body is stainless steel--a big plus. (They found during the original prototyping for manufacturing that their regular mild steel could not be bent into the complex shape required for that design. It would always crack/fracture. They had to go to stainless to get beyond that issue. Another plus for the Cayman. It handles incredibly well and is like an undated 914!
Old 02-26-2016, 05:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

simple answer .. neither ..
Old 02-26-2016, 05:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The Cayman is a very nicely done car. But I am a guy who simply needs a backseat.

Many don't realize that the entire back section of the Cayman body is stainless steel--a big plus. (They found during the original prototyping for manufacturing that their regular mild steel could not be bent into the complex shape required for that design. It would always crack/fracture. They had to go to stainless to get beyond that issue. Another plus for the Cayman. It handles incredibly well and is like an undated 914!
The factory certificate says the Cayman has Aluminum trunk lids and a Boron steel "crash structure" whatever than means. It made me laugh because I was reminded of the scene in "The Man From Uncle" in which the American spy is using boron steel side cutters to cut through a fence, and his Soviet counterpart uses a laser.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:19 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

drive them both then decide, Cayman mid-engine handling completely different than rear engine 911. Read up on the M96 engine. Check in on the water-cooled boys forum. I've driven Caymans, own a '00 Boxster (IMS fixed) and a '87 911... when i get pressed for time and can only take one of them out for a run... i choose the 911.

Quick Reply: 1st time Porsche buyer, 911 or Cayman?