Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 08:26 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 stuck in gear

1984 911 Targa with 120,000 miles.

Issue:

Driving car when it became obvious that the clutch was not completely disengaging. Made it back home with gears grinding as I pulled into drive.

Initial troubleshooting:

Shift coupler bushing is completely gone. Shift lever ball cup and shift rod bushings replaced in 2007 at ~111,000 miles. Only shards remain inside dust boot. I can move shifter around and it “feels” like it is going in and out of gears just like when the clutch was disengaged.

Did measurement of clutch cable release distance. Spec is 25mm +/- .5. Mine is now about 12mm. When last I adjusted it (2007) I had it at 26mm. Also oddly enough the max and min then was 82/66mm now the span is 59/47mm.

Clutch pedal not fully up. I can lift the pedal a few inches. When I let go it falls loosely and stops with a thud. Pushing the pedal down has resistance but the pedal reaches the floor before I reach the normal feel of disengagement.

In the past prior to bushing replacements the car did "stick" in gear with the engine off. Mainly Reverse gear.

Thoughts:

Clutch cable badly stretched. Clutch fork damaged. Worse.

Thanks up front for the thoughts.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:13 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the omega spring? Mine was completely broken in half.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:34 PM
afinepoint
Racer

It looked OK but I did not examine it closely. Thanks for the suggestion. I will also check that the bracket that holds the cable didn't shift.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 PM
afinepoint
Racer

I did all of the adjustments per the shop manual but nothing worked. Sent the car to a garage and the diagnosis is the clutch itself. $2100+. Clutch job quote from a second individual $2000.

+$150 if the flywheel needs turning. First shop says it can be turned if not at its tolerance. Second shop says those flywheels can not be turned.

Will be towing it back home. It will live under the cover until I can find out what I want to do.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM
rfloz
Advanced

"the clutch was not completely disengaging"

A bent or broken clutch fork can cause this. Have to drop the engine to fix, so you might as well replace clutch and pressure plate.

p.s. - if you give your location someone in your area may be able to recommend a good shop or even help you fix it.

Bob F.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:44 PM
afinepoint
Racer

The service manager at Import Auto Haus mentioned the same about not knowing until they can see inside. I agree that once things are out I'll probably replace the clutch replaced unless there is a lot of life left in it.

For now I'll have it towed back and schedule the work for later this or next year.

I'm in Richmond, Va. Short Pump.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 911 stuck in gear