intermittent starter problems, long post

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 01:11 AM
rfw 911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent starter problems, long post

Hey Gang,

I am having an intermittent problem with my starter.
The problem originally cropped up a couple of months ago.

Symptoms:
Turn key and I can here a relay, fuel pump or something going.
No attempt of the starter solenoid pulling in.

I had my mechanic replace the starter and all was fine for a few weeks.
Then it happened again, he cleaned up the connections at the starter and replaced the crimp on connector on the yellow wire as well as cleaning the ground connection at the chassis. All was fine for a week or so.

Options to start car:
Push start car

Reach under car with alligator one end of clip,
attach it to the yellow wire on the solenoid.
touch other end of clip to big wire on the starter
to "bump" the starter, get in car turn key and all is normal.
(OK with work clothes on but not the preferred method )

At a DE event I was discussing this problem with my "neighbor",
and he told me he had the same problem. Also I mentioned that my oil tank gauge developed a mind of its own, at times suddenly shooting straight up as if to break thru the upper scale! When I mentioned these 2 things he said for sure it had to be the original ground cable.
He replaced his and all is fine.

I purchased a #4 cable and installed it to the chassis on the original spot.
I cleaned the area with sand cloth and contact cleaner, I assembled it
putting the new cable to the chassis and the original cable over the top of it. I them picked a more accessible spot on the trans and cleaned that as well and attached the cable. All was fine for a few more days.
Next try, I replaced the ground cable from the battery to the body.

Now mind you it doesn't matter if the car has been sitting for a few days, if the car is hot or it's hot out, cold damp or whatever, (hey its NJ the weather changes every 15 minutes.)

My mechanic said maybe its a bad positive cable and I have a voltage drop to the starter, immediately after this conversation when I went to leave his shop the car wouldn't start, what great timing! We hooked his digital meter from the big cable to the ground stud on the chassis and wouldn't you know that the car cranked right over and had over 12 volts every time.
Voltage drop doesn't appear to be the problem.

I am at another DE event and in the pits it happens again,
I grab a volunteer to operate the key because I want to check to see if I have voltage at the yellow solenoid wire. I attach a test light lead to the yellow wire and touch the probe end to the ground point, i call up to my assistant to turn the key and she cranks over like there is no problem.

Where previously to get her to crank I would have to go thru my ritual of bumping the starter. I still have to wonder if it is somehow ground related and by attaching a meter the first time and the test light the second time, if a ground connection was not made thru the meter and light.

My mechanic is willing to replace the starter again, but I am not comfortable that his is the answer being that this is how we started out almost 2 months ago!

Please, Please heeellllp!
I am due to go to Watkins Glen next week
and don't want to be doing " parking lot " exercises!

Regards,
Rich
Old 09-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Rouxzy
Advanced

Rich,
I've gone through the same process with my '77. I've replace ground straps, negative leads and hot start relay. I finally installed a high torque starter. When I had the old starter on the bench I put juice to it and nothing. This starter was a rebuilt Bosch and was put together badly. The high torque starter I put in is brand new and now my car starts better than it ever has. Good Luck
Tom
Old 09-30-2003, 11:02 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Rich, keep in mind most all aftermarket alarmsystems break into the same yellow starter wire under the dash near the ignition switch.Look for the place where someone may have tagged in long ago.Maybe the last 2 owners didnot even know the car ever had this.Nevertheless, you should not parts swap this to find the problem(to expensive).you must ck the yellow wire at the starter when this happens, if you get power when you hit the switch, you know its the starter if not ck power coming out of the switch maybe its the switch. If you have another bad starter and you DE the car the high torque is a good idea! Good Luck!!!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:13 AM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Can someone tell me the "routing" location of the infamous yellow wire on an '88 (not the schematic diagram, I have that in my Bentley manual)? I'm trying to resolve some starting issues on my car and I'd like to inspect the connections for the yellow wire. I believe I've read it not a single wire going back to the solenoid but it actually 2, or more, sections and I'd like to physically inspect them but I don't know where to look in my car. If a coupe if that matters.

Quick Reply: intermittent starter problems, long post