Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
oh, that's common with most auto shops.
i have them put in writing 5% variance.
there's always risk in ESTIMATES.
we have an accounting line in our business just for that'. if i get ESTIMATE wrong, i eat it. but auto industry seems to be different....
I asked for 3.2SS PMO conversion on an SC from Patrick MS;

Their 1st quote was for $18k
Their 2nd quote was for $25k
Their 3rd quote was for $32k (with 2.7 crankshaft)

and finally had the following email after their three failed attempts ;

----------
I have discussed this specific build and to do this correctly your motor case is not what you would want to do. We can do a 3.0 l -3.2L Build however not a SS.

Most of the builds you find have been built off of a very rare specific case that would work with the crankshaft needed.

Thank you

----------------

Last edited by Mondrian; 11-24-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
oh, that's common with most auto shops.
i have them put in writing 5% variance.
there's always risk in ESTIMATES.
we have an accounting line in our business just for that'. if i get ESTIMATE wrong, i eat it. but auto industry seems to be different....
Depends on the state. I know some states require a shop to be within 10% of the written estimate unless a previously undiagnosed issue is discovered during the work.

But that's different than a phone or email consult. Goid gearbox shops won't tell you what it will cost until it is torn down. They can tell you labor but until they lay eyes on what's in there they are just guessing at mist common problem with the symptoms. And other things are always worn that haven't failed yet. That why I always answer here that a 915 rebuild is $2500-4000.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
I asked for 3.2SS PMO conversion on an SC from Patrick MS;

Their 1st quote was for $18k
Their 2nd quote was for $25k
Their 3rd quote was for $32k (with 2.7 crankshaft)

and finally had the following email after their three failed attempts ;

----------
I have discussed this specific build and to do this correctly your motor case is not what you would want to do. We can do a 3.0 l -3.2L Build however not a SS.

Most of the builds you find have been built off of a very rare specific case that would work with the crankshaft needed.

Thank you

----------------
haha, i know.
i see that often.
i understand, i was a GC. i can fudge numbers like u would not believe. after i take your money, you still thank me profusely.

Originally Posted by GTgears
Depends on the state. I know some states require a shop to be within 10% of the written estimate unless a previously undiagnosed issue is discovered during the work.

But that's different than a phone or email consult. Goid gearbox shops won't tell you what it will cost until it is torn down. They can tell you labor but until they lay eyes on what's in there they are just guessing at mist common problem with the symptoms. And other things are always worn that haven't failed yet. That why I always answer here that a 915 rebuild is $2500-4000.
i get it.
i like your answer. and if you told me 2500-4000, i put away 4500 for the work. you be amazed at some shops. it will come back to be 6000.

certain exteremely well know shop... paint int is 5k (with some fiberglass door and deck added). bill was 7900...

reason: it was harder than we thought. and you wanted good work.....

i paid.
i dont work with them again.
they saw the car before paint (it's strpped to tub, no surpises there). they worked with getty FG. they know what prep work is needed. they have inhouse painter..... i leave it at that.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:18 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Numbers don't bother me, just apply fuzzy logic - get a itemized quote for bare minimum and one for all in & prepare to land somewhere in between the two based on what is needed when its all in the open. My irk was with the technical ineptitude

Quick Reply: So the 915 transmission.....