Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

So the 915 transmission.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

So, I'm curious as to why-if I'm reading this correctly- one needs to downshift into first while decelerating or stopping? I put many a mile on a 915 trans, and many a lap at the track. I never felt compelled to put that kind of strain on my drivetrain, unless rev matching into a very tight/slow turn. I'd typically time sliding the lever into 1st right as I came to a stop.

As to the question on people driving around needing rebuilds, search Pete's old thread here on what it takes to REALLY rebuild a box correctly. There are a lot of hacks selling "$1000 rebuilds" that probably only include a couple of syncros.

When you understand that there is some talent needed here, and some proper tools, you'll understand the labor rates.

I personally have never been afraid to do much to my cars. Engine build of a 3.2/3.4 included. BUT, I am intimidated as all get out, about ever trying to rebuild a trans. Too many gears and round thingies for my taste.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:17 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tgil
Have an 80 Weissach with 52k miles, stock, and it shifts perfectly.
MY 84 Targa was causing me some shifting issues- mechanic discovered worn out couples. Replaced couplers, installed short shift kit, and all if good now. Also changed out engine and trans mounts with OEM parts which probably helped Targa as well.
+1 on the mounts. I was very surprised in the difference this made in my car.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
When you understand that there is some talent needed here, and some proper tools, you'll understand the labor rates.

I personally have never been afraid to do much to my cars. Engine build of a 3.2/3.4 included. BUT, I am intimidated as all get out, about ever trying to rebuild a trans. Too many gears and round thingies for my taste.
Ed, having done a 2.7 CIS engine, a 2.4 MFI engine and two 930/65 engines, tackling my 915 gearbox in Tweety was nerve-wracking.

Fortunately, I scored BIG-TIME on a complete VW385 toolset, and even found the proper, original manufacturer (Peisler) cam part for my VW385/1 bar when that little bugger gave up the ghost. If you do not have the proper FACTORY tools (and I consider Steven Stomski's tools of factory caliber for engine work), do NOT attempt to work on the transmission. You can still buy most of the factory press pieces from Porsche.snapon.com. If you know the part number for the factory tools (they ALL start with 000-721), you can order many of the tools directly from your dealer. All of the factory tools are VERY EXPENSIVE, but they make the job much more doable!

Toby

Remember - He who dies with the MOST TOOLS, wins!!
Old 11-20-2015, 01:02 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

So, I'm curious as to why-if I'm reading this correctly- one needs to downshift into first while decelerating or stopping? I put many a mile on a 915 trans, and many a lap at the track. I never felt compelled to put that kind of strain on my drivetrain, unless rev matching into a very tight/slow turn. I'd typically time sliding the lever into 1st right as I came to a stop.
There really is no practical reason to ever downshift into 1st on the fly.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:11 PM
theporscheguy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Agree.

My 915 shifts great but it is obviously completely different than other Porsche's I have owned, all of which have either been newer or a different model. I do thoroughly enjoy it though.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
There really is no practical reason to ever downshift into 1st on the fly.
That's my point. It seems that often when people complain about getting into first gear being difficult, it's often with the statements "when slowing" or "approaching a stop sign". Well, of course it doesn't want to go into first!
Old 11-20-2015, 02:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

That's my point. It seems that often when people complain about getting into first gear being difficult, it's often with the statements "when slowing" or "approaching a stop sign". Well, of course it doesn't want to go into first!
Yep that's the usual "complaint". But when I read the OP's post it sounded to me like he can't find first. Maybe I read it wrong. No doubt it needs a new 1st gear synchro and 1-2 slider, but I wouldn't be surprised is the shift fork bolted to the bottom of the box that directs the main shift rod has a cracked finger allowing too much movement on the rod.

915.303.129.09 Wevo makes a gated replacement that is a good upgrade for anyone rebuilding a 915 gearbox and looking for a more "bolt action" shift feel.

I just came in from moving the 912 in my avatar out of the elements. I find it interesting that there just aren't these same threads about the 901 family of gearboxes. Anyone with an early car understands that the dog leg first is for a standing start and any time the car is in motion, you use 2nd and stay on the main H of the shifting tree.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Had my box 'refreshed' for 2500 bucks..all labor and parts (a year ago). It is not new inside but wear out items replaced (typical broken dog teeth etc...the PO was/had to be ham fisted-etc. as I found some teeth on PPI)
I can downshift into 1st gear while moving without issue (slow approach and steep hill going home) and from a stand still nothing to it.
It is still a 915 and at low, local speeds, one does the two movement shift.
At high rpm, real speed, it shifts effortlessly.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:36 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As to the question on people driving around needing rebuilds, search Pete's old thread here on what it takes to REALLY rebuild a box correctly. There are a lot of hacks selling "$1000 rebuilds" that probably only include a couple of syncros.

Pete had a clientele that could/would spend. I didn't. (And believe me, Pete was a life saver numerous times back in the '80s.) So you did what you could. Today, different story given the "value" of the cars.

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Ed, having done a 2.7 CIS engine, a 2.4 MFI engine and two 930/65 engines, tackling my 915 gearbox in Tweety was nerve-wracking.

Fortunately, I scored BIG-TIME on a complete VW385 toolset, and even found the proper, original manufacturer (Peisler) cam part for my VW385/1 bar when that little bugger gave up the ghost. If you do not have the proper FACTORY tools (and I consider Steven Stomski's tools of factory caliber for engine work), do NOT attempt to work on the transmission. You can still buy most of the factory press pieces from Porsche.snapon.com. If you know the part number for the factory tools (they ALL start with 000-721), you can order many of the tools directly from your dealer. All of the factory tools are VERY EXPENSIVE, but they make the job much more doable!

Toby

Remember - He who dies with the MOST TOOLS, wins!!
I did my first 915 on a customer car with basically only the dog teeth tools. Wasn't really any different than a 901. 100-odd 915s later, maybe I continually got lucky?
Old 11-20-2015, 04:21 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by race911

I did my first 915 on a customer car with basically only the dog teeth tools. Wasn't really any different than a 901. 100-odd 915s later, maybe I continually got lucky?
You really only need the 385 bar if you are doing ring and pinions or LSD installs. The fork alignment jig is useful but not required.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
You really only need the 385 bar if you are doing ring and pinions or LSD installs. The fork alignment jig is useful but not required.
I made my own.

And I was always careful on marking forks, prior to disassembly.

Then you've got the situations where you're full into a box on a Saturday evening with only your travelling tools, working on dirt in fading light at the track............
Old 11-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Replacing your 1st and 2nd gear synchro should solve your problem. The 915's for sure acquire a special touch compared to the G50. You need to make sure your clutch pedal is fully depressed before changing gears. They also don't like going into 1st unless fully stopped.

I recently bought a 85 Carrera with 116k on the original transmission. The clutch on it was shot so I replaced it right away. I'm planning on rebuilding the transmission next. My 1st & 2nd synchro's definitely grind while driving aggressively and when I don't take time between shifts. Going into 2nd before you shift into 1st is little trick that might help you find the gear and eliminate any grinding. It has been working for me.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:35 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't downshift into first...ever on any of my cars. It's just slotting into first to actually, you know, drive forward. All the other gears are fine. I have been using 2nd 85% of the time but it requires some throttle adjustment on my part with the pedal.

I've just had the engine completely done and honestly we thought it was the clutch, now we have to go back and remove it etc etc which is a bummer.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:37 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Replacing your 1st and 2nd gear synchro should solve your problem. The 915's for sure acquire a special touch compared to the G50. You need to make sure your clutch pedal is fully depressed before changing gears. They also don't like going into 1st unless fully stopped.

I recently bought a 85 Carrera with 116k on the original transmission. The clutch on it was shot so I replaced it right away. I'm planning on rebuilding the transmission next. My 1st & 2nd synchro's definitely grind while driving aggressively and when I don't take time between shifts. Going into 2nd before you shift into 1st is little trick that might help you find the gear and eliminate any grinding. It has been working for me.
Thanks, I have experienced little grinding, usually me being lazy with the clutch as I learn this car but the first gear issue is very simple, I can't always get it into first even coming from 2nd. Then sometimes it aligns perfectly like butter. I will bite the bullet.

My next question is wether to do the WEVO gate while its apart.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:10 AM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

My 915 with fresh tranny fluid, new bushing and coupler adjusted will go into all gears like butter. Have you had the coupler adjusted? And I assume you already change your tranny oil? Honestly I like my 915 better than my 993 tranny with golden rod.

Quick Reply: So the 915 transmission.....