Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Struck gold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:45 AM
bukowski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Struck gold...

On the way back to the East Bay from Marin I slowed down to try and identify what looked like a 991 hidden under a cover in a wood shed. Although the 991 is a great car it was the neighbors 1970 911T that prompted me to drive to the closest business to get a pen and paper to leave a note. Long story short by the time I came back to put the note on the owner was pulling up and was kind enough to entertain me with amazing early 911 stories for several hours. The shop that he worked at in the 70's had a 911R as a "shop car" as well as countless other early Porsches. Long story short the car may be for sale in the not so distant future and I am hoping that you guys could advise me a bit on what a fair price would be. I am not expert on early cars but here is my brief assessment.

Exterior: The car is painted in a non-original gold that is in very poor condition with rust on the hood and roof (rust is only surface rust with no rot). The gaps on the body are not the best. All of the glass is in great shape with very little pitting.

Drivetrain: According to the owner the car runs like a top and is very reliable and has served him well as a surf car! The motor has never been opened up but has recently had the carbs rebuilt and is equipped with an MSD ignition box and "blaster" coil. I noticed that there was a brand new aftermarket fuel filter and asked why not go with the original and he informed me that the previous owner had removed the fuel filter entirely. Right valve cover is leaking pretty severely while left isn't quite as bad but still leaks

Interior: Factory sport seats (driver bolster in very poor condition). The front carpets are missing. Dash is cracked in several places.

Suspension/Wheels: Wheels are the original Fuchs and are in great shape. The owner claims that the suspension feels tight and the car handles very well. Has original iron calipers that are rusted but functional.

Here are the few pics I was able to snap:

I know the "patina" isn't for everyone but I personally love it and would most likely drive the car as is and slowly restore over the years. Thanks in advance for the input and I hope you guys enjoy the car as much as I do!
Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice. Treat the rust, wax, drive. Love the patina.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:51 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

The seats alone are worth $8-10k. If you can get it for $30k or less I would consider it well bought.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

always start by asking the guy what he is looking for out of it.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:13 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by theiceman
always start by asking the guy what he is looking for out of it.
For me that goes without saying. If I encounter a "make me an offer" seller my first inclination is that it won't be a simple transaction and am immediately wary of any deal happening at all.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GTgears
For me that goes without saying. If I encounter a "make me an offer" seller my first inclination is that it won't be a simple transaction and am immediately wary of any deal happening at all.
yup !!!

another good leading question in a case like this is " so how much do you have into it ? "
Old 10-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
So true - i was looking at a car and when I asked the seller "what do you need to have out of it" his response was "i think we both know what the market looks like" followed by "what would you offer". Hmmm.... at that point I knew his price was high.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

not to hijack but one of my best friends just sold his 80 SC, I didn't even know he had it for sale. he paid 15K about 3 years ago. US and imported it from Vegas, apparently it was Tatum Oneils car at one time .. anywho ... he wasn't expecting to sell it but some guy asked him what he wanted , he said 33K as a joke .. the car is now gone .. so you just never know.. was picked up on Saturday.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:43 PM
bukowski
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
not to hijack but one of my best friends just sold his 80 SC, I didn't even know he had it for sale. he paid 15K about 3 years ago. US and imported it from Vegas, apparently it was Tatum Oneils car at one time .. anywho ... he wasn't expecting to sell it but some guy asked him what he wanted , he said 33K as a joke .. the car is now gone .. so you just never know.. was picked up on Saturday.
Shockingly in todays market that isn't too far out of the question of it was a really well sorted car! I've seen a few G50 Carrera 3.2 listed for 65k! Sounds like your friend got to enjoy a great car for 3 years and then double his investment...not a bad deal!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:47 PM
bukowski
Instructor

Thanks for all of the responses! The owner said that he bought the car from the east coast about 3 years ago for 35K (he clearly overpaid) and now wants somewhere in the neighborhood of 40k in his words. Here is what Hagerty has to say with their valuation tool. Correct me if I am wrong but this car is firmly a condition 4 car?

Last edited by bukowski; 10-26-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

One down at the shop I hang out at owner just bought. Nicer overall condition picked up for $22k everything is there and needs far less work. Having a full windows out respray and rust correction.

Before you buy check all the floorboards and everything else there are a lot of areas that can be worse than you think and cost far more to repair than you will hope.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:17 PM
bukowski
Instructor

It's looking like a classic case of buyer paid too much and is trying save face on the sale. He said he had a serious offer at 40k but we all know what hat means. That 22k buy sounds like that is what this car is worth and Hagerty agrees. The owner is a Datsun 510 guy as well and my family races 510s. Hoping he might take a partial trade on some race parts and potentially the "good home" sympathy will play in my favor
Old 10-26-2015, 05:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I would be suspicious of him even paying that for the car .. especially 3 years ago , 3 years ago those care were worth very little as your post points out , and he probably paid less than that.
That could be a condition 6 car if they had it ...
Old 10-27-2015, 02:43 AM
bukowski
Instructor

Just to add some flavor to this discussion take a look at this non-running '71 911T on eBay that is in worst condition and non-running:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=301773831590

Not saying that this bidding is rational but it is par for the course in this crazy unpredictable market!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:39 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

$40k 3 years ago is steep. $40k today isn't actually that far out of line. All S deco and sport seats add a decent bump to an otherwise uninteresting T.

Quick Reply: Struck gold...