Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Struck gold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is model T even worth the investment?

It looks like a classic case of "barn find rip-off".
Old 10-27-2015, 12:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Is model T even worth the investment?

It looks like a classic case of "barn find rip-off".

I have seen pristine T's sell for 6 figures. A few years ago they weren't worth much now even 912's are on the rise.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM
porsche2fst4u
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And to think I offered my '85 Targa to my brother-in-law for $9,500 4 years ago.

Back story..

My Porsche stranded me at work 1 month before my son was born and sat in my garage for a year and a half without running. Money was tight and being new parents, I couldn't find the time to get my 911 up and running so I called up my BIL. Though he had always said he would take it off my hands to "keep it in the family" if I were to ever consider selling it, he declined as he and my sister were planning to buy a house.

I eventually convinced my wife to allow me to use a credit card to get her up and running again. The caveat was I had to put her up for sale once she was alive again.

A week later Jones Autowerks in San Antonio revived my Porsche by repairing some faulty wiring, replacing the fuel filter, installing a new DME relay and some fuses. The drive home from the shop had me worried at first as smoke started coming out of my air vents. I returned to the shop only to be assured this was normal as my car had sat for so long. With continued use and some time the smoke went away just as they said.

After that I started updating any due maintenance such as engine/transmission oil change, new spark plugs and wires, cleaned up distributor cap and contact points, air filter replacement (K&N), new fan belt, replaced front shocks, replaced front bumper shocks, new battery (with kill switch), new (pre owned) exhaust muffler, repaired turn signal wiring, repaired foglight wiring, repaired battery parasite due to bad headlight ground, installed new front hood struts, repaired drivers side window.

Upcoming projects..

Replace tires, replace rear torsion bushings, replace rear shock absorbers, replace fuel tank sending unit, replace brakes and rotors, paint calipers.

Simply put..

I don't see myself selling my Targa any time soon. She runs and performs better than ever. I drive her to work at least twice a week. I've renewed my membership with my local PCA and love taking her to as many events as possible not to mention Cars and Coffee every month. I've made lots of new friends and am grateful I didn't sell. My wife is finally coming around and getting used to my 911. Her thoughts on my car are, "it smells and make our house rattle". I of course love the smell and sound. It helps that my son loves my car and is always suggesting we "go in the Porsche".

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="3mMD4B8"><a href="//imgur.com/3mMD4B8">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by porsche2fst4u; 10-27-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:33 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

I sold my scraggly 70T with S trim to Europe in 2009 for just shy of $10k. It underwent a 2 year bare metal restoration. Once the Dutch shop doing it was done they sold it to a guy in Germany for 55,000 Euro. Before the recent exchange rate swings that was a $75,000 deal. And that was half a decade ago. Ts are worth plenty of money. Anything longnose is. Don't believe everything Hagerty tells you. They are usually 3-6 months behind the real market.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:41 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Agreed - anything long nose is in demand and commanding a premium these days - 912's have been following suit.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:59 PM
porsche2fst4u
Instructor

My buddy has a 1973 911T he purchased for $5000 back in 2001. He drove it from the used car dealer to my house where he let me test drive it (I had just gotten my '85 911). He then drove it to his house and never ran the car again. It needed some major engine work and at the time we were all still in college. He's now a pharmacist and definitely has the funds.. Let me see if he still has his 911 and what his plans are. If he still has it, I'll ask for pics to see what shape it's in.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:23 PM
bukowski
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTgears
I sold my scraggly 70T with S trim to Europe in 2009 for just shy of $10k. It underwent a 2 year bare metal restoration. Once the Dutch shop doing it was done they sold it to a guy in Germany for 55,000 Euro. Before the recent exchange rate swings that was a $75,000 deal. And that was half a decade ago. Ts are worth plenty of money. Anything longnose is. Don't believe everything Hagerty tells you. They are usually 3-6 months behind the real market.
Originally Posted by myflat6
Agreed - anything long nose is in demand and commanding a premium these days - 912's have been following suit.
This 1970 911T sold for 93.5K in Jan. 2015 at a Bonhams auction albeit in far better condition. The market has moved quite a bit since then!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22205/lot/178/

The 912 market is becoming enticing as well and my neighbor has a beautiful Aga Blue 912 that has been in his family since new. It is in decent shape but unfortunately hasn't been driven in at least 10 years!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:26 PM
bukowski
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsche2fst4u
My buddy has a 1973 911T he purchased for $5000 back in 2001. He drove it from the used car dealer to my house where he let me test drive it (I had just gotten my '85 911). He then drove it to his house and never ran the car again. It needed some major engine work and at the time we were all still in college. He's now a pharmacist and definitely has the funds.. Let me see if he still has his 911 and what his plans are. If he still has it, I'll ask for pics to see what shape it's in.
I would love to see some pics and hear about more about your buddies car!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:35 PM
porsche2fst4u
Instructor

Originally Posted by bukowski
I would love to see some pics and hear about more about your buddies car!
My friend replied:

"I still have the 911T but sadly it's dying on the green mile. Completely deteriorated after being neglected in pharm school."

I asked him for pics. He said he'll call me later today to discuss. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,351 Posts

I'm at a loss with this one. I would have expected them to ask for more based on mileage. There must be something that isn't right.

http://inventory.mgmsl.com/web/used/...Ohio/24453007/
Old 10-27-2015, 07:29 PM
bukowski
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobalt
I'm at a loss with this one. I would have expected them to ask for more based on mileage. There must be something that isn't right.

http://inventory.mgmsl.com/web/used/...Ohio/24453007/
Even more fishy that it is listed on eBay for $4100 less! Was looking at that car last night wondering the same thing.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In any "deal" always strive be the first to throw down the number. Any conversation after that will always be in reference to it. Whether higher or lower it will always be a subconscious reference. So it will benefit you to present first.

Jase.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:39 PM
bukowski
Instructor

My friend replied: "I still have the 911T but sadly it's dying on the green mile. Completely deteriorated after being neglected in pharm school." I asked him for pics. He said he'll call me later today to discuss. I'll keep you all posted.
All of these long hoods are worth saving! I look forward to hearing more.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 PM
porsche2fst4u
Instructor

Here are the pics I promised. The second pic in the album is the way she looked when he first brought the Porsche over to my house.

The rest are as she currently sits. Such a shame..

http://imgur.com/a/czeXC

Last edited by porsche2fst4u; 11-03-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:32 AM
puddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the pics I promised. The second pic in the album is the way she looked when he first brought the Porsche over to my house.

The rest are as she currently sits. Such a shame..

http://imgur.com/a/czeXC
Ahh what a bummer, it looked like quite a nice car back in 2001. However someone with more patience and money than me could easily make that car right again!

Quick Reply: Struck gold...