Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Drive with fellow enthusiasts, will header/exhaust combo make it more enjoyable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:27 PM
rwdenthusiast
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive with fellow enthusiasts, will header/exhaust combo make it more enjoyable?

Love my '81 911. Did a spirited drive last sunday with cousins/friends who are all car enthusiasts. It is the first time I used my 911 for this (I normally would use other cars that I have). I had a very enjoyable time with my 911, but wished I could "hear it" more as everyone else had very loud exhausts that drowned my sounds out.

My intent before was to keep my 911 totally stock as I love it this way and everything is original.. Without making my 911 sound too loud, in your opinion, would a header and exhaust upgrade still maintain its originality but make it more enjoyable due to meaner sound and possibly a little more HP to keep up with them on our spirited drives?

(sorry for newbie question..and this is my opportunity to post a pic on this forum, hehe)

Old 10-06-2015, 02:56 PM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Gorgeous car first off. I'll let the experts weigh in on the power side, but you'll definitely SOUND faster Looks like you're in CA, which will limit options from an emissions standpoint I'm guessing and keep you from going with "headers" and a cat delete anyways. Your buddies look like they're all gonna have faster cars from a measured times perspective and you won't catch 'em with a new muffler, you gotta out drive 'em imho.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

On an 81 I think Steve said it best on an earlier thread . SSIs and a dual inlet muffler on an SC is cherry. Will add HP as well as a nice sound . all reversible too should you choose.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

my setup is a bit different as its an 89 but it came with a cat bypass and fabspeed rear muffler which definitely makes it louder in a good way, nice deep tone and quite a bit louder over 5k then stock.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:17 PM
rwdenthusiast
Track Day

Thx for the input...agree with all of you. I will go with SSI and muffler. Simple enough so that it is reversible, and then significant enough that it will provide more enjoyment and even possibly free up some power. And yes..improving driving skills in such a light car should be enough to keep up safely on spirited drives with my friends/fam in my porsche. =)

oh and another shameless chance to post a pic of my car hehe.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:04 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I was very happy with SSI's and a M&K muffler. Nice sound and the muffler saved weight versus OEM.

http://www.mkexhaust.com/products/911_i.html
Old 10-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Jeff986
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more with earlyapex. I have SSI exchangers with an M&K 2 in, 1 out so it retains a stock look. It sounds amazing and does not drone. Plus, as an added benefit on a 3.0 it really opens them up with a noticeable power increase.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by JonSnow83
Gorgeous car first off.
This! Is it weinrot? What color is the interior?

Quick Reply: Drive with fellow enthusiasts, will header/exhaust combo make it more enjoyable?