Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Am I crazy to be considering paying $41k for an 86 Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:06 AM
Chico Mann
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

41k sounds like a good deal to me for a 9/10. I purchased the same car for not much less two years ago. I overpaid a bit, but I got what I wanted and that's what counts.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:52 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardB
I love driving my GTS but driving my old Carrera is still a blast (even after 18 years of ownership). It doesn't have nearly the power or creature comforts of the newer car of course but it is relatively simple, bullet-proof and costs next to nothing to run.
Just a quick anecdote: I've been driving my '87 Carrera daily for about 5 years. I've started to grow a little weary of it as a DD in Bay Area traffic. Couple that with lack of decent AC and modern safety features and that has me thinking about moving it on for a more modern Porsche.

I finally ventured out to my local Porsche dealer today to test drive a few new cars. I mostly focused on the Cayman S since I already have a 993 as a weekend car and figured something non-911 would make for a nice change of pace.

I have to admit, the Cayman S with PDK was a blast to drive. In Sport Plus mode the car felt and sounded like a race car. I enjoyed the experience thoroughly. But when I got back in my Carrera for the drive back I felt like I was - home. Strange, but there's something about these older air-cooled cars that the new ones simply can't replicate. The sound, the smell, the feeling, the classic lines. I honestly can't see myself making the change, despite the obvious advantage the new cars have in performance and creature comforts.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:11 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I went through the same thing with superbikes for a while... Had all the latest greatest the land of Godzilla had to offer. While faster, lighter, and more precise... They just lacked character. I ended up on an older Ducati and loved every minute of it. That bike has since been sold and it's the only bike I regret ever selling. I feel the same way about the old 911's.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:57 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z
Strange, but there's something about these older air-cooled cars that the new ones simply can't replicate.
New Porsches ain't got no soul.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:04 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

not crazy at all OP! I thinks it's priced right given how you are describing it.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
New Porsches ain't got no soul.
soul died after 997 rs4.0
it has breathed a little life with the GT4
Old 10-05-2015, 04:07 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
soul died after 997 rs4.0
it has breathed a little life with the GT4
The GT4 is one modern Porsche that makes me tingle. Unfortunately it's currently difficult to find a dealer with allocations that aren't pre-sold and my local dealers are charging a $25K markup when they are available. I thought this was supposed to be Porsche's 'affordable' GT car?
Old 10-05-2015, 04:12 PM
msavard
Intermediate

I am thorn too between keeping my 86 or upgrade to a Cayman S.. Old school vs better performance and comfort but more fun??? Not sure at all!!!!
Yes it is noisy and smelling strange but no robot to tell you how to drive? Priceless.....
41k might be very ok for a 9-10 and if mechanically sound..

Old 10-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by logan2z
The GT4 is one modern Porsche that makes me tingle. Unfortunately it's currently difficult to find a dealer with allocations that aren't pre-sold and my local dealers are charging a $25K markup when they are available. I thought this was supposed to be Porsche's 'affordable' GT car?
Patience is a virtue! :-) Just wait, the latest and greatest will come around, and the current GT4 will be just as great as it is now, without the crazy markups. And trust me, having driven the GT4, and 991GT3, the GT4 as a tactile feel that exists with my 997 RS but was absent in the 991 GT3 (despite being stupid fast!). There is a reason everyone wants one!

But back to the OP - We expect pics of your new acquisition soon, or tell me who has this car and we'll buy it out on the west coast :-)
Old 10-05-2015, 06:37 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Patience is a virtue! :-) Just wait, the latest and greatest will come around, and the current GT4 will be just as great as it is now, without the crazy markups. And trust me, having driven the GT4, and 991GT3, the GT4 as a tactile feel that exists with my 997 RS but was absent in the 991 GT3 (despite being stupid fast!). There is a reason everyone wants one!

But back to the OP - We expect pics of your new acquisition soon, or tell me who has this car and we'll buy it out on the west coast :-)
I'm still in the decision making process and keeping this car a secret for now
Old 10-07-2015, 09:45 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Question for the experts...

So I've been limiting my search to 84 to 86 models. There seems to be a huge price spread, even if the mileage is similar. Anywhere from 30k to 60k.

What affects the price?
It's my understanding the 86 is a better model with stronger AC and lower seats.
Do coupes command more money than cabs and targas?
Do popular color combos (red/black, white/back, etc) command more than some of the unusual color combos we saw in the 80's?

Trying to educate myself a little more before pulling the trigger. Going to look at 2 cars today.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

Andrew:
Whether it's a coupe, cab, or targa doesn't seem to matter much these days. All prices are up. I don't remember the AC being any better in an 86 than it was in my 84. The 86 had bigger dash vents. If there were any other improvements, someone else will have to chime in because I don't know.

I think they will level off and be the new normal. Question is when. They are great cars. Daily drove my old 84 before I made it in a club race car way back when.

Given the market these days that price doesn't seem to be out of line.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 86 A/C is no different than previous years. The dash vents are larger, but that makes no difference. The A/C is pitiful no matter what year you're considering.

Coupes are generally preferred, but it all depends on what the buyer wants. Same with colors.

The biggest factors are condition and mileage.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:59 AM
dariog
Banned

Originally Posted by 911Dave
The 86 A/C is no different than previous years. The dash vents are larger, but that makes no difference. The A/C is pitiful no matter what year you're considering. Coupes are generally preferred, but it all depends on what the buyer wants. Same with colors. The biggest factors are condition and mileage.
Totally agree, and I think coupes have better lines that is why they are sought after. Every year (84-89) there were minor improvements, the major one was in 87 with upgraded gearbox to G50, but the biggest factor still remains the same: condition and mileage (unless the engine was completly rebuilt) Darek
Old 10-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Question for the experts...

So I've been limiting my search to 84 to 86 models. There seems to be a huge price spread, even if the mileage is similar. Anywhere from 30k to 60k.

What affects the price?
It's my understanding the 86 is a better model with stronger AC and lower seats.
Do coupes command more money than cabs and targas?
Do popular color combos (red/black, white/back, etc) command more than some of the unusual color combos we saw in the 80's?

Trying to educate myself a little more before pulling the trigger. Going to look at 2 cars today.
Don't think so much! I have the same problem, I'm 964 shopping.... LOL

Here are my observations:
Coupes > Targa > Cabs - a similar condition cab will be about 10k less than a coupe
Colors do matter. Unique PTS exterior colors get more condition for condition
Interior, black and cashmere/tan seem to trade for the most, colors like linen or green or burgundy seem to trade less

But, the main thing is: condition, mileage, maintenance evidence (if no history...my 89 had very little documented history but the car had been very maintained, it's easy to see and tell), and if a coupe or other body style.

Once you narrow the variables the prices begin to normalize a bit. Oh yeah, and you're in FL right? So the AC sucks period. Mine works well, recently charged with R12 at $100/lb!!! and it works pretty good up to the low humidity socal temperature of 90. Then it just kinda sucks. So drive faster, windows down, wear t-shirt and shorts.

I'll say this: Based on how you've described the car, it sounds like a good buy and you won't get hurt on it. Hell, even if it drops 10k.... thats less than a new bmw off the lot in 1 year!

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to be considering paying $41k for an 86 Carrera?