Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Silencing Megaphones while on the Street

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Silencing Megaphones while on the Street

Anyone have any solutions for this? I want to run megaphones on my track car, but I would like an easy way to silence them for my neighbours when I get up early to drive to the track...

Any suggestions / solutions?

When I worked with Formula V, we had small pipes with steel wool wrapped around them that we would slip into the megaphone and put a little screw through it to hold them, but with the cookie cutters it seems difficult to do that.

Cheers
Old 10-01-2015, 11:32 AM
jamesjedi
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt there would be any way of making them quiet. Something that would be "more" quiet, but not the kind of quiet your neighbors would want, would be; Supertrapp mufflers, with disks that can be added and removed at the track. Jegs (or wherever ) sells a silencer baffle insert. Search of Ebay will give you an idea of what they are.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey James, thanks I'm familiar with the supertrapp system - They are still pretty loud, but is a good idea - thanks.

I'm wondering if anyone has designed their own fix for silencing megaphones for the street - I have cookie cutters already and don't want to buy supertrapp system at this time

JR
Old 10-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The best way to silence megaphones for street (or track) use is by installing a 911 SC/RS muffler. This is basically an empty factory muffler that incorporates a megaphone into each side. A big benefit is that it acts as a crossover, restoring the torque loss from the open pipes.

Its still pretty loud, but much more manageable.
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2015, 10:18 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
Anyone have any solutions for this? I want to run megaphones on my track car....
Cheers
Because your car is way too quiet as is.....

Don't worry JR, your neighbours already hate you. Shall I meet at your place 6am Saturday and we can blast down the street and head to Mosport?

Quick Reply: Silencing Megaphones while on the Street