Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help me figure out an appropriate price for this car

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:49 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Odd to see a Carrera tail on a wide body........
Old 10-01-2015, 04:59 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It needs Turbo Tail.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:20 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
It needs Turbo Tail.
exactly! Maybe it was a conversion and owner left Carrera tail
Old 10-03-2015, 07:51 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Run Forest, Run!!!! You'll lose money the day you drive away from the dealer. Don't buy a conversion car for anywhere near $30k. Buy a clean stock car with records. Be patient and you will find something much better. The chase is part of the fun.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:42 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Dealers can build any sales sheet or repair sheet they want. Take our recommendations and look for a nice 911. I've been around Porsches for almost 50 years and this one of the worst (in my opinion). It may look good, but no records of any kind. not for me. Could have been underwater, in a major wreck, etc. Too much has been changed and nothing depicting who, what, when, nor where.

It's your money, but I wouldn't spend a dime for it.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:04 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Just remember the old adage, "a fool and his money are soon parted". Please do not be that fool. Way to many flags popping on this car. None the least of which is the dealer now telling you they are taking a $10K bath. I don't care what records they put in front of you, unless they are actual originals, and you personally verify every detail, I would discount them as worthless. No records just furthers my concerns about this car. Offer him $25K to take it off their hands and then walk away.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:47 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Unknown mileage.
Hacked up car. (How does this compare to a salvage title?)
No service history.
Sold by a flipper.
Repainted.
Plus, all the unoriginal mods do not help value.

For me, that's way too many red flags.
For some, even just one is enough to say "no thanks"
But all five?

I do not believe the dealer paid $36k for this car.
I think it's a poor value at $30k.

You will be able to find a much better "no stories" car in your price range.
Don't be tempted just because you're now emotionally and financially invested in this car.

One more vote to keep looking.
When you find a keeper, you will know it, and you won't be second guessing it.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:41 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Ok I may as well be the wrench in the Monkey works ...

taking the emotion out of it ... 30K for a 87 G-50 ? doesn't seem that bad, especially if it passes a PPI !! I don't think the widebody is necessarily a cool factor , but that is personal choice. may not be a bad way to get into a Porsche cab, Im not saying buy it , but just offering another perspective.

Remember they used to do Targa --> cab conversions back in the day at Porsche dealerships.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:44 AM
fl4tsc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$29k is the new agreed upon price. Still worried about the whole mileage issue as I'm really starting to doubt the mileage is legit after running an Autocheck. The Carfax made it look like it could've been a misprint at some point, but the Autocheck makes it look like the mileages been all over the place.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

I am not trying to be a buzzkill here but that history is really poor. The problem is anybody buying this car in the future will run a Carfax and see the same thing. If you look harder you can spend $5k more on a totally original car with records that will actually appreciate. You will always have a difficult time selling this car in the future because of these records and the conversions and appreciation is questionable IMO. Don't get caught up in the emotion of the transaction. There will always be other cars.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:26 AM
fl4tsc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmporsche
I am not trying to be a buzzkill here but that history is really poor. The problem is anybody buying this car in the future will run a Carfax and see the same thing. If you look harder you can spend $5k more on a totally original car with records that will actually appreciate. You will always have a difficult time selling this car in the future because of these records and the conversions and appreciation is questionable IMO. Don't get caught up in the emotion of the transaction. There will always be other cars.
That's completely fair. I've actually found an original car for exactly 5k more but I had more fun driving this car, largely due to the unoriginal stuff.
It's getting harder and harder to believe I could ever resell this thing and not lose a ton of money and the Autocheck may be the final nail in the coffin. I'd love to know why the Carfax only has the mileage go backwards once (and only about 10k) instead of the craziness the Autocheck does...
Old 10-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

RUN FOREST RUN!
Its a piece of crap looking for another new owner!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:15 PM
onevoice
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 180 degree view from most of the responses. I kind of like it. I guess you have to look at who you are asking the question to. I'm not a resto guy, I LOVE widebodies, and don't particularly care for another 100% stock car. If it is what you want, you could do a lot worse. I do agree the mileage history is pretty sketchy, but carfax and autocheck aren't the bible, and I have seen plenty of mistakes in them in the past. The crazy numbers seem to come from emissions test stations, and then a probable stepback, maybe when the gage faces were changed. That car is never going to get in the low $20k range, unless is has something else wrong with it that isn't visible in the photos, like rust. Also, many states label any vehicle that old as unknown mileage.

I really don't understand all the focus on "investment" value of these cars. No other car you ever buy is made with the hope of making money, or not losing it. The fact is that ANY car is a money pit, insurance, depreciation, maintenance, cost of money, etc, etc. Unless it has a major problem hiding, you won't lose money on it. And a factory widebody is stupid money, so a conversion is the only way most people will get in one.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:36 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you buy a good car with decent history you are more likely to see the money back even if you have to spend 1000's on making it good/great. A car like this might be more fun to own and drive but you will be throwing money away at it. As a rule I like honest cars (regardless of condition) and always shy away from those that seem to be hiding something as I like to see where I am going.

Quick Reply: Help me figure out an appropriate price for this car