Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Auction Houses Need Cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auction Houses Need Cars

It's getting rough for the auctions. There simply aren't enough good cars to go around. There were a bunch of questionable cars at the Monterey auctions. The prices and the No Sales were proof of this. With Scottsdale coming up the auction houses are worried. They all need cars.

I just got this from Russo and Steele.

"As a special offering to our friends, family, and loyal customers, this year we are offering a $200 early consignment special for reserve vehicles. For a limited time we will also be continuing our zero entry, and 5% commission on no reserve offerings as part of this offer".

Mecum has been doing the $200 deal for a while now. What's interesting is that Russo and Steele is going public. Who's next?

I'm wondering if they're offering these deals in public what are they offering in the back room? Scottsdale should get interesting.

Richard Newton
Old 09-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess that it seems to me that the prices have to be even higher to "draw them out". It's not that there are fewer of them, just that the people who own them currently don't get excited about the pricing.The auction houses have worked hard at fostering this "investment grade" idea around cars and I guess they've been successful, maybe too successful. Me, I love cars, but mostly love to drive them. Cheers
Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I truly don't get car auctions, absent 1-of-1 examples. Really, if I have a '73 S or a '62 T5 Roadster or whatever, we don't know within 2-3% what the car will bring? And no transportation costs, no seller premium, no buyer premium, easy ability to PPI/talk to owner/restorer at length. And on and on.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It is about the event, as much as the purchase, is my guess.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:31 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The recent Chinese sneeze should cough up a few cars from nervous enthusiast investors.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:06 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 605 Likes on 354 Posts

i've been to a few scottsdale auctions. gooding&co has the best examples of porsches and ferraris and if you go a few days early you can take your time and really inspect the cars.

russo&steel is where i'd go to buy a resto-mod, muscle car.

barret jackson has gotten really big and it's more of a spectacle. i'd never want to sell there but as a buyer you might get a good deal.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:26 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

To me selling at an auction is a crap shot- if you have something special maybe it make sense. It seems like they care about quantity not quality- been that way with RS's for years- many very questionable RS's get sold at auctions over the last few years.
Phil
Old 09-07-2015, 12:48 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think auctions are great for the top end of the market and also getting rid of the bottom end of the market. But it doesn't make sense for the seller or buyer of everything in between.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:11 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 605 Likes on 354 Posts

"I think auctions are great for the top end of the market and also getting rid of the bottom end of the market. But it doesn't make sense for the seller or buyer of everything in between."

you know, that's a really good point. i couldn't agree more.

and for the rest of us it is fun to watch,

Quick Reply: Auction Houses Need Cars