Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC title jumping

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts
Default 911SC title jumping

I'm looking at a car where the title is in the name of a different person than the seller. The seller sounds legit on the phone, and says the title is in the name of a friend who's currently in Europe (seller is european, too), but "it's already signed on the back".

I know it's hard to say, but how much of a concern do you think this is?
Old 09-01-2015, 10:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Sounds like he is curbsiding ..

this is the practice of buying a car ... then selling it without declairing ownership , then he becomes the middle man and takes profit without having to pay any state/ federal tax that is due. A classic car flipper..

he buys the car has the person sign the title , then you buy it from him , and in an audit trail it looks like you bought it from the person who originally owned it.

I would ask for the contact info of the person "in Europe" and contact them , just say you have some specific questions about the car. If he refuses you will have a good idea of what is going on .

Lots of people are looking to make a quick buck in this market now , doesn't mean its a bad car though.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:41 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Depends on how badly you want the car. It can be clean or messy. Our friend in Sheridan never titled my 67 912 and that transaction was easy. I still don't have my 914 properly titled. A-hole seller let me drive all the way to Texas before revealing it was on previous owner's Oklahoma title. And it needed a notary witness, which he didn't have.

Each state has different rules. Make sure you know yours. And review the title before any funds change hands. If I hadn't driven 1000 miles I would have walked on the 914. Sometimes I still wish I had.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:34 PM
GetBoosted
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed with what the other users have said. This sounds like a curbstoning type of deal (perhaps there are different names for this but in PA, it's called "curbstoning"). Not the end of the world but not optimal either. I also agree that you should talk to the original owner. If you are unable to do so, then buyer beware but if you are able to talk to the actual owner that could be ok. Could just be that the original owner is using the curb stoner as a broker of sorts. I've run into this exact case before buying an older car from out of state and it worked out just fine for me. Your experience may vary though.

In Pennsylvania, you can transfer a title from out of state without the seller being there so it wouldn't be a problem in this state. But I know other states are not nearly as lenient in that regard.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:37 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't touch the deal/car without confirming in writing with the titleholder that he/she has no financial interest in the car and that the person selling it can also prove he has the right to ownership/sale. Too many things can go wrong.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Thanks guys. Sounds like a little more due diligence is in order.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I will add: This is not a big deal. The title just needs to be clear of any liens, and signed on the line by the person who's name is on the title. Most if not all States will not mind who sold it to you. As long as the paperwork you hand them is in order.

I bought a BMW from a widow as a favor to her. The title was signed and I sold it to the next person (no profit) without any concern. She did not want to deal with tire kickers & lowballers. I never had plans to keep it ~ why would I title it?

Making sure its a good car can be much more important.

Quick Reply: 911SC title jumping