Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

12% OFF Dapper Xenon Lighting Kits For Your 911!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:09 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 12% OFF Dapper Xenon Lighting Kits For Your 911!

Rennlisters! We have a great promotion going on NOW for you!

Click Here To Redeem Your Offer!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting... Would these fit on an '87 Carrera with original H5 headlights?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:03 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fast40th
Interesting... Would these fit on an '87 Carrera with original H5 headlights?
I believe they should fit. I think you will have to re-use your brackets to mount them. I can go over specifics if needed. Here are the install instructions that you can review for additional help as well. Here is the link for your '87 Carrera.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:54 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
I believe they should fit. I think you will have to re-use your brackets to mount them. I can go over specifics if needed. Here are the install instructions that you can review for additional help as well. Here is the link for your '87 Carrera.
Thank you... But I'm still not convinced on how they'd look on non-sugar scoop headlight rings of an '87 Carrera... All pictures I find with these are of 911's with the sugar scoop rings, and the non-returnable item restriction makes it hard to pull the trigger. I do know I need to upgrade the lights on my vehicle to feel safer while driving at night... I got spoiled by the lights of my newer modern 911.

Do you have any pics showing the lights installed on the non-sugar scoop rings? I'm minutes away from your El Segundo spot (if you guys are still there) or a few more from the Harbor City location... wouldn't mind stopping by and checking them out in person there if possible at all...
Old 07-09-2015, 12:42 AM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a picture of my headlights. What are they?

What is a sugar scoop ring or a non sugar scoop ring?

My headlights suck! I'm better off using a LED flashlight.....
Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sugar scoops are what they call the more upright headlight/ring style (my car below) vs your car which had the more "laid back" style. Not sure what the name for this is... Or when the switch happened. My car is an 86.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:01 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bola964

Here is a picture of my headlights. What are they?

What is a sugar scoop ring or a non sugar scoop ring?

My headlights suck! I'm better off using a LED flashlight.....
Yours are not sugar scoop headlights. porsche0nut's is.

Sugar scoop headlights have recessed lenses inside the ring whereas the H4 and the H5, the lens is forward of the ring.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:06 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you... But I'm still not convinced on how they'd look on non-sugar scoop headlight rings of an '87 Carrera... All pictures I find with these are of 911's with the sugar scoop rings, and the non-returnable item restriction makes it hard to pull the trigger. I do know I need to upgrade the lights on my vehicle to feel safer while driving at night... I got spoiled by the lights of my newer modern 911.

Do you have any pics showing the lights installed on the non-sugar scoop rings? I'm minutes away from your El Segundo spot (if you guys are still there) or a few more from the Harbor City location... wouldn't mind stopping by and checking them out in person there if possible at all...
I just spent some time talking to our tech in house about these headlights for you. I guess he is saying that you would have to go back to sugar scoop lenses in order to make these headlights work for your Carrera. Therefore, I'd recommend not getting these unless you want to buy the sugar scoops to make them work.

The H4 and H5 lights are one complete piece. Whereas the sugar scoop headlights aren't. The sugar scoop part of it holds the lens so if you take that off you can take apart the whole headlight. That is why these dapper lights fit into the sugar scoops, which hold the light together in the fender. Hope this clears things up a bit.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

I just spent some time talking to our tech in house about these headlights for you. I guess he is saying that you would have to go back to sugar scoop lenses in order to make these headlights work for your Carrera. Therefore, I'd recommend not getting these unless you want to buy the sugar scoops to make them work.

The H4 and H5 lights are one complete piece. Whereas the sugar scoop headlights aren't. The sugar scoop part of it holds the lens so if you take that off you can take apart the whole headlight. That is why these dapper lights fit into the sugar scoops, which hold the light together in the fender. Hope this clears things up a bit.
Thank you for checking much appreciated!
It's a bummer that to do this I'd have to change to the sugary scoops - otherwise it seems like a great upgrade for those in need of better lights and a no brainer for pre-'87 Carreras.

May not be a bad idea to add a clarification note on your website.

Cheers.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:19 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you for checking much appreciated!
It's a bummer that to do this I'd have to change to the sugary scoops - otherwise it seems like a great upgrade for those in need of better lights and a no brainer for pre-'87 Carreras.

May not be a bad idea to add a clarification note on your website.

Cheers.
My pleasure. I didn't want you to pick them up if there was going to be an issue. There is a disclaimer that says, "Note: Fits cars with sealed beam headlights and sugar scoop rings," but I think we are going to add "only" in front of "fits cars.."
Old 07-10-2015, 02:59 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

. . .Sugar scoop headlights have recessed lenses inside the ring whereas the H4 and the H5, the lens is forward of the ring.
What determines which type a car has; model year or something else? Just curious.

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2015, 03:24 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
What determines which type a car has; model year or something else? Just curious.

Thanks,
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe with the introduction of the midyear cars with the shorter hood and impact bumpers is when they introduced sugar scoops, which is I believe '74-'86... Someone correct me if I am wrong though.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:53 AM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe with the introduction of the midyear cars with the shorter hood and impact bumpers is when they introduced sugar scoops, which is I believe '74-'86... Someone correct me if I am wrong though.
Guess that's why I am curious - my '88, one of the last years before the 964, does not have sugar scoops as you can see from my signature picture. But Porsche0nut's '86 does so that kinda leads one to think it is not a model-year change.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:53 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Guess that's why I am curious - my '88, one of the last years before the 964, does not have sugar scoops as you can see from my signature picture. But Porsche0nut's '86 does so that kinda leads one to think it is not a model-year change.
introduction of the midyear cars with the shorter hood and impact bumpers is when they introduced sugar scoops, which is I believe '74-'86
So Porsche0nut's is an '86, which falls within the year I stated. Yours is an '88, which doesn't fall within the year of the sugar scoop headlights and leads me to believe that is why your Porsche does not have them.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not that hard............ DOT regulations put in place for MY68 required sealed beam headlights of either 7" (pairs, usually) or 5 3/4" (quads, usually). (Along the way, rectangular headlights were permitted.)

Sealed beam 7" headlights with the external bezel (aka sugar scoop......whoever invented THAT should be banished to owning first generation 924s) were used on US cars through MY86.

Since we were always converting cars en mass to H1 and H4 Euro/ROW headlights, I guess the factory figured they had to get on board. Thus, the truly awful "H5" replaceable bulb light that came along for MY87 (along with the G50 transmission....and a revised rear reflector), and remained through 964 production.

Quick Reply: 12% OFF Dapper Xenon Lighting Kits For Your 911!