Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking to buy a 911 for the first time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:13 PM
Rhetro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what scares me:
Waiting too long to buy one where it becomes cost prohibitive. I think at some point, I just have to go for it --provided I've done my research, PPI, etc.-- and bite the bullet. I've seen some nice early 80s SCs, however, I think 3.2 with the better AC is a must -it's just too damn hot here in the summer to do without. But I'm all talk an no action...I need to test drive some of these and see for myself.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:13 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I live in Phoenix and have owned many air cooled 911s over the years. I still own an 88 and a 95. The newer cars (964 and 993) can be used as a DD in hot climates but short of buying one of the after market AC systems none of the 80s 911s will ever have what I would consider working AC for a climate like Texas or Phoenix. That being said, if you leave your garage for the commute to work and park in a covered lot you may be ok. Once it has sat out in the sun and warmed up you'll never get the inside cooled sufficiently. That's my $.02.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:35 PM
Rhetro
Advanced

Nesposito,
This is huge for me. I appreciate this ( I actually used to live in Prescott). I don't mind paying for an aftermarket AC if that's what it takes. Will the aftermarket AC be comparable to what you would find in a new vehicle, or will is still "fall short" somewhat? If I'm going to by a DD, I want to be comfortable in it 12 Mo out of the year and not just 9.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:44 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

It'll never be what you find in a new water cooled vehicle. Griffiths and Rennaire are systems I've heard can make it acceptable but I've never looked into either cause I don't DD my 911s any longer.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Rhetro
Advanced

Originally Posted by nesposito
... I don't DD my 911s any longer.
May I ask why?

I'm getting tired of driving my minivan as a DD !!!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:56 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Ronnie over on Pelican swears his Rennaire will freeze his nuts and he lives in hell, like you. See the a/c and fender thread in the marketplace forum. Ronnie would be happy to talk about his set up.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Old 07-21-2015, 07:00 PM
Rhetro
Advanced

Originally Posted by GTgears
Ronnie over on Pelican swears his Rennaire will freeze his nuts and he lives in hell, like you ...

This is great news!!!!

Thank you, GT!
Old 07-21-2015, 07:52 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

At this point I have 4 cars and 2 motorcycles so I tend to leave the 911s in the garage unless it's a pleasure ride in nice weather. No reason other than options and the 911s aren't the best DD options I have.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Rhetro
Advanced

Got it. That makes sense...
Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 10:42 AM
stubble88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and my friend were/are also looking. But the prices are very discouraging. I might just wait this bubble out. Or it might still climb. If so. Then I'll get over it.
It's too crazy right now. People are freaking out over these cars.
$27,900 gets you 180k miles leaks a couple teaspoons of oil every time driven, needs paint, brakes, etc.. cracked dash. Wheels need refinishing.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stubble88
Me and my friend were/are also looking. But the prices are very discouraging. I might just wait this bubble out. Or it might still climb. If so. Then I'll get over it.
It's too crazy right now. People are freaking out over these cars.
$27,900 gets you 180k miles leaks a couple teaspoons of oil every time driven, needs paint, brakes, etc.. cracked dash. Wheels need refinishing.
At some point the rise will halt, stall or fall but for many years these cars were not given the proper respect in the marketplace. For that reason, this situation may continue for a while yet. I haven't looked at prices for a while now but....is what you describe common? Or is it an example of one seller being"out to lunch"? Out of the blue I've recently noticed a large amount of 993 TT's on the market. The prices for the last year or two have been staggering, so much so a couple of friends (who were very attached to their cars) have cashed out and bought super high end water-pumpers. Rapid appreciation will draw out many choices (both good and bad) and up until the last two or three years, there hasn't been a compelling reason for an owner of a good, well cared for and loved car, to sell. Cheers and good luck.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Rhetro
Advanced

Thanks guys,

This is what I've been seeing as I've been educating my self on these late (80s air cooled Carreras). Part of me is afraid of:

A) waiting too long where the prices climb out of my range

B) impulsively buying a "problem" machine based on (A)

I know there are some good cars out there (they can't ALL be spoken for..) and it's a matter of being patient -for me anyway.

This is going to sound weird, but I've heard of this phenomenon with buying houses (and it happened to me) When you find it, you KNOW it it's the ONE. Does it work this way with these classic 911s?

I know you enthusiasts know the answer

Last edited by Rhetro; 07-22-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

It's not a bubble. A nice SC driver between 125-175k mi is now a $30k car and will stay there. There are a lot of rough cars being pulled out and offered because of the run up. They do not present a true market valuation.

Deals are out there, but many of them aren't for the timid. I just bought a 74 coupe that wears a slantnose. I'm putting 5 figures into paint and body to revert it to stick color and body. It's also a theft recovery S title with a 3.2 swap. The majority of first time Pcar buyers wouldn't even consider a car like this but when I am done I will have a car that I paid a bit less for than I could sell it for.

Inventory often improves in the fall. Guys enjoyed the car for the summer, and are ready to say their farewells before it snows. Not everyone gets Texas and Ca weather with year round driving. Patience will be rewarded but you might pay a little more for a car.

Or consider a lower priced car that needs $5k of refurbishment. We used to say all SCs were $20k. $20k to buy or buy a $15k one and it will need $5k. Now that rule holds true at $30k instead.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Rhetro
Advanced

Great info, GT.

Thanks!
The anticipation of owning one of these has been pleasantly overwhelming
Old 07-23-2015, 12:27 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Rhetro,
Have you looked at any cars for sale in the last few weeks?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 911 for the first time!