Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking to buy a 911 for the first time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:00 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhetro
Waydeki and Lucky...
That's a nice one, I like the fact that it's all ready to go -from what I can see anyway. I suppose there's no point in getting to hung up on the paint. From what I've read in the Zimmerman book, go through the checklist with the chassis and corrosion as primary concerns.
What does he mean by AC Delete, it's been removed?
Yes.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Rhetro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Redd.
Delete just seemed a little to "keyboard" -wasn't sure if I was missing out on some arcane Porsche jargon.

Any of you Porsche players going to be in the Vegas area this weekend?
Old 07-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Rhetro
Advanced

Ok, you mid-80s Carrera guys are going to hate me, but...

I've been thinking on this as I've been educating myself on the NOT-SO-SMALL-A-TASK it will be to find, own, and maintain the car I've been looking for: A 86-89 Carrera coupe in white. Wow, not an easy task. Here are my thoughts:

I've been driving a VW Corrado for the past 19 years. It started out as my daily driver, began breaking down, turned into a weekend driver, kept breaking down. And now, it's time to upgrade.
Is the logical choice for a first-time Porsche owner a mid-80s 911? I don't want a weekend driver. I'm looking for something that I can drive daily, and not worry about being nickel and dimed with a car that's roughly 30 years old. It's a question of time and money. I don't want to spend the time off I have, driving it to a garage, and then being gun-shy about driving it every day. I'm kind of in that boat right now with my VW. My feelings haven't changed for the car. I'm just looking at it practically. I can get something newer for half of what I intend to spend, used but fully loaded (or close to it), with (hopefully) the "occasional" maintenance bill. Do you guys literally use your mid 80s 911s as daily drivers with very little issue? I take it that if the answer is yes, you also do most of your maintenance yourself -which requires time; time I don't have at the moment. I think I'm at the point that for the first time in my life, I can own a "used" Porsche 911, but perhaps a mid 80s car is more than I can handle at this moment...

Someone posted earlier about looking into some of the newer cars. I thought it a bit odd at first, but now I think I understand what he's getting at and why he posted it.

Am I crazy...?
Old 07-14-2015, 05:07 PM
DrFreeze
AutoX

I'm looking to get into a GT3. Any history on this that you are aware of??
http://www.metrolinaautogroup.com/mo...?VID=254597242
Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, you mid-80s Carrera guys are going to hate me, but...

I've been thinking on this as I've been educating myself on the NOT-SO-SMALL-A-TASK it will be to find, own, and maintain the car I've been looking for: A 86-89 Carrera coupe in white. Wow, not an easy task. Here are my thoughts:

I've been driving a VW Corrado for the past 19 years. It started out as my daily driver, began breaking down, turned into a weekend driver, kept breaking down. And now, it's time to upgrade.
Is the logical choice for a first-time Porsche owner a mid-80s 911? I don't want a weekend driver. I'm looking for something that I can drive daily, and not worry about being nickel and dimed with a car that's roughly 30 years old. It's a question of time and money. I don't want to spend the time off I have, driving it to a garage, and then being gun-shy about driving it every day. I'm kind of in that boat right now with my VW. My feelings haven't changed for the car. I'm just looking at it practically. I can get something newer for half of what I intend to spend, used but fully loaded (or close to it), with (hopefully) the "occasional" maintenance bill. Do you guys literally use your mid 80s 911s as daily drivers with very little issue? I take it that if the answer is yes, you also do most of your maintenance yourself -which requires time; time I don't have at the moment. I think I'm at the point that for the first time in my life, I can own a "used" Porsche 911, but perhaps a mid 80s car is more than I can handle at this moment...

Someone posted earlier about looking into some of the newer cars. I thought it a bit odd at first, but now I think I understand what he's getting at and why he posted it.

Am I crazy...?
No, but I can't imagine really anyone using a torsion bar car as a daily driver today. (Also, define why you're looking at '86-9. '87- has the G50, with an '86 only having the larger HVAC vents to distinguish it from the '84-5.) First, there's the price run-up, then there's the simple fact that life has moved on. Put another way, if you're $25-40+K into one of these things, just devote $4-5-7K for a driver. I run around in what was a $4K 40K mile '98 V-6 5-speed F150 these days, though I bought the 996 Turbo 1.5 years ago as a commuter which I've still managed to pile on nearly 20K miles.

Caution on the "newer" cars is the engine. M96 996s are cheap and plentiful for a reason--the engine is a massive liability if it pukes for any number of reasons (much more than intermediate shaft bearing). ".1" 997s (through '08) also have engine issues. That's as simple an explanation as there is.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Rhetro
Advanced

Hey Race,
Aside from the design, no frills, no computer, etc appeal of the classic air cooled machine, The 86-89 appeals to me because of the better airflow with the AC mod (again, I'm in S Texas,) and the G50 trans. From what I've been told, there's just a little more stability here for a first time Old School Porsche owner. Yes, the price run-up is a bitch. Unfortunately, I got my pay raise a little too late, and am facing the fact that I'm going to be spending a good deal of money on one of these. The torsion bar thing? Well that's what makes it cool. It's a car that let's you feel the road. Unless I'm missing something..I don't know, maybe it get's old? This is what I'm understanding as I read and educate myself. I guess, I just need to go drive one and compare notes. But I can't get away from that design.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:00 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

3.2l cars have a dme and the infamous relay failure. If you want mechanical then you want an SC with CIS, like the two listings I linked for you yesterday on Pelican.

G50 vs 915 gets too much play. A good 915 is a perfectly pleasant gearbox. You just need a good one.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:09 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I drove a 911 (74 thru 84) to work every day for over a decade, still do occasionally. But the thing that matters is the drive. I used to have a great stretch of open twisty foothills road with no commuting traffic. It was an energizing drive every morning to work. Then I moved and it became more about stupid drivers, sitting in traffic, marginal AC while doing so, so I commute in the truck, take a car on a nice day but then don't want to leave it in a parking lot at lunch....bla bla bla. So I think it has a lot to do with the quality of your trip. I'd do it every day if I had the road....
Old 07-15-2015, 04:23 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

. . . The 86-89 appeals to me because of the better airflow with the AC mod (again, I'm in S Texas,) and the G50 trans. . .
FYI, the G50 transmission appeared with the 1987 MY and so the 1986 MY still has the 915 transmission.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by waydeki
That one is strange with the USA and ROW VIN numbers.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Rhetro
Advanced

Thanks folks,
What exactly are you looking for on the underside? The black coupe looked good to me, but I guess I have an untrained eye. It's mainly about corrosion down there, I take it?
Old 07-16-2015, 11:06 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'd be hard pressed to rationalize the purchase of an air-cooled 911 as a DD if cost per mile is a large factor. Many who own these cars do their own work and put on less than 3000 miles per year (many, much less!). Hell, when I bought my 85 it had only covered (from new) less than 3000 miles per year (I've averaged 5K). The rational choice for a DD for you may be a water cooled car, more power, more comfort, great A/C, comparatively new seals and rubber components. I've done quite a few enthusiastic miles in water-cooled cars and they are very capable, reliable machines that can be used every day.... they're just not a cool as an air-cooled car, LOL. As Ken (race911) says, the engine on these cars are a concern. Many in the know have opted for the Mezger engined (996/997 GT-2/3 and Turbos) cars. True dry sump, high performance and few commonly known weaknesses. I can't say I've met many people who run these as DD's though. Air-cooled alternatives are 964's or 993's but IMHO with their added complexity,(but working A/C and more comfort) they would be expensive to run as a DD. Cheers
Old 07-18-2015, 07:29 PM
kstarr719
Advanced

Following this thread with interest. I too am a - hopefully - soon-to-be first 911 owner. I was looking at a 930 in NY (I'm in PA) from a dealer, but just the dealer's description made it seem like a basket case. There is a '74 911 that I'm interested in. The price seems reasonable (24k) and it looks to be in decent condition. I will definitely PPI if talks go anywhere. Ideally, I'd like to invest some change and make it a rod.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:06 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kstarr719
Following this thread with interest. I too am a - hopefully - soon-to-be first 911 owner. I was looking at a 930 in NY (I'm in PA) from a dealer, but just the dealer's description made it seem like a basket case. There is a '74 911 that I'm interested in. The price seems reasonable (24k) and it looks to be in decent condition. I will definitely PPI if talks go anywhere. Ideally, I'd like to invest some change and make it a rod.
930s these days have gotten quite pricy, a basket case would entail a big infusion of cash to make right. Do your homework on the year you are looking at there are strengths and weaknesses to each generation. The 74 has chronic issues with pulled head studs. Make sure its been torn down and the case repaired or that $24k will quickly turn to $30+....
Old 07-19-2015, 11:38 AM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to me, prices for these mid 80's 911's are accelerating to the upside. I am helping a friend to buy a 78-89 911, about $30K budget, and the supply seems to be drying up fast. Looking at my Excellence magazine 4 years ago, there were 2 pages of them for sale, good ones, around $30K. Now there are very few, and prices and mileage are up... Even the book, the used 911 story is up.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 911 for the first time!