Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dash recovery? (tips, and proceedure?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 PM
jalopy911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash recovery? (tips, and proceedure?)

Hi,

I have a late 911 dash with large window vent. It was recovered by the previous owner. It seems the old plastic (vinyl) cover was removed, with a 3/32nd foam sheet on top of the original foam. It's too puffy and is too close to the gauges (overlaps the clock and gas gauge gaskets). Also, the gauge brow is a bit flimsy as I gather the plastic helps with rigidity. I'd like to strip it down and recover it but I'm concerned about the procedure.

I'll need to patch the foam and sand smooth. Any tips on materials?

I'd like to give it a shell like the plastic. Could I coat it in epoxy (thin coats)?

After that, I think I'd get a leather cover from Classic 9.

Does anyone have any comments or tips? I know most people simply repair and sand smooth the original plastic and I'm a bit unsure of the procedure once down to the foam.

Many thanks!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:07 PM
neejah
Intermediate

I used a classic 9 kit in my 928, so I'm not sure if they're similar?

The foam is essentially stuck onto the original dash after you've keyed it & repaired any cracking or warping - normally using fiberglass/bondo. Then the vinyl cover is stuck on it.

In all honesty it came out pretty well - but, it's quite a bit of money for vinyl (the quality & design was good, but I expected it to be more tailored) at the same time Robb had to come up with the design & as I said the quality was good.

In hindsight I'd just pay the extra & send the dash in for recovering - it was a decent amount of work, and I always saw the shortcomings of my install which wouldn't be there if you had experience fitting them.

Just my 2c...

Neil
Old 07-01-2015, 08:23 PM
jalopy911
2nd Gear

I think you're right. I'm going to have a pro install the pre-sewn cover through Classic 9. However, I think I'll do the prep to the core.

What do you guys recommend for filling the original foam? I bet it'll be pretty spotty once I remove the poor vinyl and added padding.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 PM
neejah
Intermediate

Think the kit recommends the fiberglass bondo. That's what I used & also some standard bondo. Worked well & seemed to expand evenly in the sun (I did the pod too & then painted with rubberized coating).

I was actually at an interior shop in town getting some boat upholstrey done & they were doing a similar job on a Chevy dash eg foam & recovering. Might be worth whichever shop you're going to use how to prep it, or if they want to do the whole thing?
Old 07-03-2015, 06:22 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my dash top recovered by Auto International... it was full Burgundy leather, so a kit wouldn't work... they also did my door caps.

The dashpad was warped from shrinkage of the leather, so they straightened it out for me. It was about $1200, if I remember, and turnaround was a few weeks... the leather-work was very well done.

A replacement dash in black vinyl will run at least that much... so its a reasonable option. Also, you have to remove the windshield, so budget a few hundred in for that also...

Quick Reply: Dash recovery? (tips, and proceedure?)