Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What's the market like for an M491???

Old 09-16-2015, 04:13 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
Here's my ex-'89 M491 G50 cab in Steingrau that I sold in 2011 before "the bubble", a 33K mile one-owner car when I bought it, 35K miles when I sold it. Only 54 of these were USA-spec cars.

Had it been a coupe I would still have it - forever. I'm just not a cabriolet guy which is why I let it go.

I'd LOVE to have Adams' silver coupe (my favorite color, love the duck!) but the GT3 will have to suffice for now.
Oh, you poor suffering serf! How can you live with that under-achieving GT3!?!?

Anyway, I understand the 'not a cabriolet' guy completely. Have had a couple in the past (not M491's) and never could warm up to them. I think you have one of the best coupes of any type out there.

Seems that rarity of the M491 coupled with 'nearly' universal appeal atop the narrow bodied counterpart will always boost value. There are some - me included - who actually don't love the turbo cars' complexity, weight, heat, maintenance.

For those reasons, and attempting to remain faithful to the OP, I believe that the M491 adds 40% to the value of the comparable narrow-bodied sibling. For a G50 car, 50% bump.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 AM
Scott in SS MD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My recent purchase turns out to be a M491 that had traded paint on the track and was cheaper to put narrow body rear panels instead of factory wide. Anyone know where I could source original/aftermarket M491 rear quarters and any other parts? My search brought me here.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:00 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 38 Posts

That must have been a pretty bad fender bender. You'd have to change the chin spoiler, front quarters, rockers, rear quarters, and rear flares at the very least to change the car to a NB.

Do a search for Turbo body parts instead of M491. You'll find a much better selection that way.

Here's a start - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ront-rear.html
Old 02-23-2016, 05:14 AM
TL-Register
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackb911
Here's my ex-'89 M491 G50 cab in Steingrau that I sold in 2011 before "the bubble", a 33K mile one-owner car when I bought it, 35K miles when I sold it. Only 54 of these were USA-spec cars.

Had it been a coupe I would still have it - forever. I'm just not a cabriolet guy which is why I let it go.

I'd LOVE to have Adams' silver coupe (my favorite color, love the duck!) but the GT3 will have to suffice for now.

again for sale in Germany : 130.000 Euro

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...w&pageNumber=3
Old 02-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Norbert!

Thanks for the update. Is that a realistic price for the German market?

Ray
Old 03-14-2016, 04:27 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

bump for this topic please ... seems UK prices for a low mile (
Old 04-09-2016, 03:34 AM
Sunman
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default My personal car

My personal car is for sale here.

http://www.mwcarline.com/vehicle-det...d4c2ecbd4d019/

It's got over the top documentation in two 3 inch binders from the time the original owner ordered it at the dealership. It's a two owner car. Only issue was a minor carfax due to transporter creasing the front two fenders. I have the front two fenders also to go with the vehicle.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:47 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

That doesn't help Sun .... There's no price!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:29 AM
ACP911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you still have this M491?

Can't figure out how to PM someone, so trying to reach out to Adams to see if you still have the M491? If so, I'm interested. Please reach out to me. George at ACP911 dot com.

Thx.

Originally Posted by Adams
On the brink of selling my 85 911 M491.

Silver, black sport seats (leather with 'Porsche' lettered cloth.) 65k miles, absolutely completely serviced at Porsche dealer (engine out reseal and much, much more).

Original paint except for rock chip spray to valance. I added ducktail, painted to match. Saved OEM turbo tail (hung on wall as art!) OEM steering wheel, OEM Blaupunkt Monterey. Clean everywhere. Ice cold AC.

Has Certificate of Authenticity, books, tools, records. Needs nothing. Get in and drive. PM if interested.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Ohtsquared
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your M491

Rob,
im a new owner of a M491/M470 1987 Carrera. If you have some time to chat I'd loke to pick your brain a bit.
Thanks,
Tim
614-456-8723

Originally Posted by RFP
Troy, I appreciate your observation that such-and-such a car just doesn't "move" you... well said. While I would like to believe that buying and selling Porsches is strictly a non-emotional, fully-objective enterprise, it certainly isn't for me. I'll freely admit to an "emotional" aspect to these cars... some sing to me and some don't... I suspect I'm not alone in this.

That said, while mileage is important (to a degree), there are other - and more important - considerations that affect price... a lot. Condition and history are more important drivers of price than mileage... at least to me. Having said all that stuff to help me self-justify my present Porsche-life, I'll say that my TL scratches all my Porsche itches: First, it's a coupe (my personal favorite in the wide bodies), completely - and verifiably - damage and accident free, wearing mostly original paint (I had a high quality respray of hood, bumper, valence and mirrors), documented history back to the first oil change, I have personally visited (via e-mail and phone) with all the previous owners, engine converted to 3.4 a few thousand miles ago by Bill Brewster (Brewster Porsche, San Clemente, CA), careful refreshment of interior (new carpets, door panels), many, many new seals, sills, other rubber bits, and sunroof seals. All that stuff. 111,500 miles. Five shows, five wins.

$65,000 wouldn't buy it.

Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725

Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the market like for an M491???