Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

PPI Question

Old 06-28-2015, 05:01 PM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI Question

HOW do you get an HONEST PPI done on a car if the nearest capable shop is where the owner took his car (or has done some business with) and the shop nearest the buyer is 160 mile round trip???? I'm not so sure the owner would let me take him and/or his car for the day to PPI. I don't think I would either.

Seems like the shop owner/mechanic and the seller could be strange bedfellows for a few bucks between the two you know??

Suggestions??
Old 06-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts
Default PPI Question

What's the second nearest capable shop? Surely there must be another one that's reasonably close and has no potential conflict of interest?
If you can be more specific on the location you might find good advice here.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:34 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Depends on the shop. A good shop of integrity will not have a conflict of interest. It must be handled on a specific case by case basis versus assuming that anyone is out to screw someone.

The market is so hot many savy buyers skip the PPI. If you mess around with it for too long don't be surprised if the car sells out from under you.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:59 PM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GTgears
Depends on the shop. A good shop of integrity will not have a conflict of interest. It must be handled on a specific case by case basis versus assuming that anyone is out to screw someone.

The market is so hot many savy buyers skip the PPI. If you mess around with it for too long don't be surprised if the car sells out from under you.
OK, so as I figured. The car I believe is very tight and well represented. I'd fell kinda' safe w/o a PPI, but first Pcar . . . . -and- knowing me I'll wait too long.

Going to try and preflight the car smartly, then drive the car end of this week. I believe we're too far apart though. No harm on his end, I get it. I hope he doesn't laugh or throw me out back on the street. -sigh-
Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

I'd hope the shop views you as their new client, since the current owner is getting out of the car. If they're reasonably smart , there is no good reason for them to shade the truth in favor of the current owner.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:21 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Great question. I had a similar issue. In my case there were two "qualified" shops in the area, and the car had recently been one of them for some work. Shop #2 (the one I selected) said since I was paying for the inspection I would be the customer, blah, blah. Basically, he said all the right things on the phone. More difficult part was I had to fly to car and was relying on PPI with the idea to drive the car back. Well, needless to say Shop #2 missed a few basic items. Shop #1 pointed out one of the items Shop #2 missed. However, Shop #2 found something Shop #1 missed.

This is a difficult position if the car is remote and is best if you have someone you trust to perform the PPI.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Also want to remind you of what we call a Rennfax. There are members here who will spend some time looking over a car for you by going for a test drive. Not likely to get a compression or leakdown test but you get what you pay for. Might be a good additional to having the shop who currently services the car. Plus, if you aren't local the shop won't see you as a potential long term customer.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

JMHO, but should never, ever use the current owner's shop for a PPI since there is an obvious conflict of interest and too many easy opportunities for lack of disclosure and/or overlooking something due to familiarity.

Its the same principle for real estate where the buyer contracts someone to do a thorough & complete inspection. In this fashion, the integrity of the process is maintained and the buyer's interests are protected.

You would never believe what kind of PPI's I've seen when the seller's shop is used for the PPI over the past 40+ years.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

Here's a scenario:

If a car is purchased from a confirmed reputable P dealer who specializes in fine examples P cars only, can I feel pretty good about skipping a PPI in order to yes, "save" a few dollars, but also encourage my offer price and get the car out the door??

Thoughts??
Old 07-02-2015, 09:51 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Unfortunately, absolutely no. Sadly, I know from first hand experience. I know of these type of dealers and sometimes they make honest mistakes. I would be very suspect when dealers/sellers are hesitant in any way to allow for a PPI.

Even if your trusted PPI individual finds nothing that is a good thing and is worth a lot of money. The flip side is not good and could cost you thousands of $$$ if something is missed. These cars are old and repairs can be expensive.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fogdweller5
Here's a scenario:

If a car is purchased from a confirmed reputable P dealer who specializes in fine examples P cars only, can I feel pretty good about skipping a PPI in order to yes, "save" a few dollars, but also encourage my offer price and get the car out the door??

Thoughts??
There are no "rules". What can you afford to risk?
Old 07-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
There are no "rules". What can you afford to risk?
I can afford to risk dealer mark-up all day. Do I NEED to? No. I will not be obsessed with my non-essential desires. I still understand your point though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PPI Question