Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First Porsche - 40th anniversary (potential purchase?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Mcdarth
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Porsche - 40th anniversary (potential purchase?)

Greetings Gents,

I was going to be in the market in a couple of months for my first Porsche (used around $40K-45K, Cayman most likely).

While visiting a friend in Denver I came across this beaut:
http://weiscomotorcars.com/2004-Pors...7/Details.aspx

Now, I went to see the car. It's only cosmetic flaw was wear on the front bumper and plastic undercarriage. Nothing major there. Some wear on the interior part of the doors too, cosmetic mostly.
Otherwise it was pristine. Carfax showed some movement around the country, but incredibly low mileage, no major issues, no accidents. Only issue I saw was that it failed a few emissions inspections throughout the last few years (bad sign?). It's been auctioned twice I believe.

I've read that the 996 engine is indestructible, but if you happen to be one of the unlucky ones, it can grenade itself. I trust Porsche engineering on this 40th anniversary and I am aware of the items such as the RMS needing to be checked along with the IMS, among several items.
I would of course get a Pre-Purchase Inspection on a trip back if this is worth it.

No warranty on it of course and not sure if I could get one, even aftermarket, because one of the previous owners supercharged it with a Vortec V3. Which is something I definitely would've considered down the line.

Long story short, I'd like to negotiate something out but I know the huge risk, question is, given the mileage, excellent treatment, and upgrades (including interior and sound), is it worth it?
The dealership is local, but they've been in biz for a while and they seem to deal with mostly luxury and sports cars. No sales tricks either, they were pretty up front and were fine with a PPI.

Was definitely dazzled when I drove it, sounded amazing, but figured I would ask you experts out there. So, a diamond in the rough or a crack pipe?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2015, 04:30 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

A good friend of mine has a 40th anniversary car similar to the one you found. Seems like to good price and low miles. For any used Porsche make sure you get a PPI before making the decision.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:45 AM
Mcdarth
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I got what you said, did you mean it's too good to be true, or that it's seems pretty good given mileage and price?

Definitely would get PPI, but should I not hold out for any warranty? would one even help or be worth it?

I'm just wondering so that if something catastrophic were to happen I'll be prepared.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts
Default First Porsche - 40th anniversary (potential purchase?)

I would check on the water cooled forum as they have a better idea
Old 06-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wait, a supercharged IMS engine? No thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 06:09 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcdarth
Greetings Gents,

I was going to be in the market in a couple of months for my first Porsche (used around $40K-45K, Cayman most likely).

While visiting a friend in Denver I came across this beaut:
http://weiscomotorcars.com/2004-Pors...7/Details.aspx
I've got a 40th myself - terrific cars. I also manage the Registry of these cars (you can use the links in my signature below to access the Registry info). I know of only one supercharged 40th other than the one at Weisco, which, as you mentioned, has bounced all over the place. I'm not sure what the issue is, but it's had a tough time finding a home. I can give you some historical info I have about the car from when it was sold previously if it would help you. You can email me at 40jahre911@gmail.com (if you message on RL with me I can't send you attachments). If you have your heart set on a 40th there are several out there right now for sale, most of which are closer to stock than this one, which has engine mods and is missing the unique anniversary wheels.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Ted

Quick Reply: First Porsche - 40th anniversary (potential purchase?)