Painted Fuchs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fuchs Cleaning, Continue the Process

Originally Posted by grgallo
Type 2, hot water protocol completed some improvement? But hard to tell. Thinking of clay bar as next step, good or bad idea? Recommendations on brand and procedure? grg
grg, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Out for eight hours yesterday setting up a Porsche Tour for September.

The Fuchs are not going to show improvement until you get to the polish stage. At the present you are only trying to get all of the gel off of the wheels. Do you have some globs or built up gel on the face of the wheels? If you still have globs or built up gel, then by all means try a clay bar. I have not found that one brand of clay bar is better than others. It is the technique, look at a couple of YouTube examples as to how the lubricant is used with the clay, and yes, there could be a difference in lubricants. I use Wurth Zebra Finish lubricant, as by itself it is also very good to finish cleaning car glass (without the clay). A second use for any product is always good.

While you can try clay, it may not be the best media or product to get any gel residue off of a wheel. If clay and a lubricant works you are ready to move on to the polishing stage. However, if you still have gel on the wheels, you may care to use Oil Flo Safety Solvent Cleaner (safe for your skin and the wheels paint, as it contains NO chlorinated solvents). Use Oil Flo applied directly on a cloth and wipe any remaining gel. Oil Flo is water soluable, so simply rinse with water and gentley wipe dry. I will PM you my source.

If you only have streaks on the black surfaces, the hot water did it job, and you are ready to lightly polish the various flats on the wheel to rid the wheels of those streaks, so re-read my second post, and contnue the process.

Best, Type 2

:

Last edited by Type 2; 06-29-2015 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Duplicate & MSP
Old 06-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

grgallo: Sent you a PM and it bounced. PM me and I will send you the procurement information.

Type 2
Old 06-29-2015, 06:13 PM
fredschoettmer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

soapy water will do
Old 06-29-2015, 07:19 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Type 2 many thanks, no globs or built up gel, but the streaks are concerning, would you suggest Oil Flow Safety Solvent first just to get a good set up for the polish? The PM came through I will call New Jersey.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:01 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grgallo
Type 2 many thanks, no globs or built up gel, but the streaks are concerning, would you suggest Oil Flow Safety Solvent first just to get a good set up for the polish?
grgallo:

Oil Flow Safety Solvent will definitely remove contaminants from the black paint on a Fuchs wheel. However, you may not need to Oil Flow your wheels, with the gel gone. Oil Flow Safety Solvent is indispensible to me in cleaning a street concours car, but it is used to remove adhesive material, tar, oil, and other undesired material off of paint. Oil Flo will, in the main, remove either any collected paint debris, or protection you may have applied, but not harm the paint.

If you need to purchase one of the recommended polishes, I would suggest that you also purchase a pint of Oil Flow Safety Solvent (you will save on shipping). You will wonder how you worked up a car or kept a nice car without it. I used it the night before a regional concours that we had driven 650+ miles to participate in from Minnesota to Missouri to rid our Fuchs wheels of Missouri Highway Department tar and patch material that had been put on numerous miles of its secondary roads earlier that day. It is our go-to-solvent, because it is so benign to our Porsches’ finishes.

BUT – skip the Oil Flo for now. You seem reluctant to go to the next step. With the wheel off of the car, and flat on the ground, with the center cap removed, use one of the polishes that I recommended (or another mild polish), and gently go back and forth on the flats towards the center cap opening. Use a small amount filtered water spray (i.e., filtered refrigator water warmed in a clean spray bottle), to occasionally smooth out the polished areas using the same motion with a different micro fiber or cloth. The black paint on the wheel will start to clear up and the streaks will start to disappear.

Do not try to get prefect paint finish in one session, smooth out your work, and then come back to finish the job another day.

Your wheels will work up, and will be even better than they were before your misadventure with wheel cleaning gel.

Type 2

Last edited by Type 2; 06-29-2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-01-2015, 01:29 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Type 2, I sent you a PM. I spoke with contact in NJ, thanks.

Quick Reply: Painted Fuchs