Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87' coupe non-sunroof, is this it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 AM
wedge0
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87' coupe non-sunroof, is this it?

Hello,

I hope this is it. 32K 1987. Original apart from the fan in the engine bay and a little engine tuning. All seems stock it's had 90% new rubber and a new coat of paint in original colour 5 years ago. The new paint didn't cover the interior elements like insides of doors, luggage compartment etc only the exterior.

The chassis rigidity and engine response was excellent on the test drive, it seemed very fast and tight.

One problem... I have read the many horror story's of rot in the sills, wheel arches, kidneys etc. I noticed the B post in the middle had a very very small paint bubble there was also about two very small ones in the luggage compartment where the body runs along the top of the front right wheel. I could not find anything else. I will get a chance to take photos later this week.

I'm going for the ppi, but I'm thinking it's really up to me to determine any serious rust. If it is the dreaded rot, am I too late? And to what cost could I halt it?

Old 06-17-2015, 01:19 AM
wedge0
Intermediate

Sorry forgot to mention 4 owners, the current one has had it for 18 years. Regards
Old 06-17-2015, 02:09 AM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks clean, nice find! Did you back out on the purple one?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:47 AM
wedge0
Intermediate

Yes, I ended up backing out yesterday allot to fix and I don't have the time or space to do it. This is the other option at the moment, she is a pretty one. Really would like this one to work out. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:28 PM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

It sure does loos clean, and I like the non sunroof. Post some pics of the PPI when you get a chance.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:06 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow. I am all-in on this one. Very nice find.

My only concern (and you knew that was coming) is the scoop that goes on the air filter is on the heater blower. Sort that out at the PPI.

May also have an aftermarket decklid condenser as the A/C line is router wrong.

Also.....the car has no heat.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:39 PM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps

Also.....the car has no heat.
You won't need heat in Hong Kong

Could be aftermarket or upgraded AC? The AC lines look all over the place.

I am curious whats the asking price foe this one?

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2015, 01:13 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by stuttgart1
You won't need heat in Hong Kong

Could be aftermarket or upgraded AC? The AC lines look all over the place.

I am curious whats the asking price foe this one?
Agreed on the need for heat. My only concern is that the air that flows through the heat fan/ducting should be blocked off and not just dumped back into the engine bay. Either use that air to cool the headers or cap it off.

I'm guessing this one is upwards of $70,000 US when you compare it to the last one. Man, this one is an absolute gem, to be honest.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:02 AM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps

I'm guessing this one is upwards of $70,000 US when you compare it to the last one. Man, this one is an absolute gem, to be honest.
I agree, this one is a gem Seem the owner pay attention to details, oem cr210 radio from 993, polished x8 fuchs...and base on condition of the interior it looks to be a true 32k miles car.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:50 AM
wedge0
Intermediate

Yes, Haha. Amber Lamps you are not far off! in the right ball park. In the real its a gem as well. Trying not to get too carried away, hopefully rust checks out okay, going to take some proper shots on Monday when I have it on the lift. Thanks again for your eagle eyes.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:36 PM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very tidy!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by wedge0
Yes, Haha. Amber Lamps you are not far off! in the right ball park. In the real its a gem as well. Trying not to get too carried away, hopefully rust checks out okay, going to take some proper shots on Monday when I have it on the lift. Thanks again for your eagle eyes.
Try not to do the math. About six years ago I shipped my Nissan pick up from California to the Island of St Lucia in the West Indies. I would not have been able to get more than $1,500 for it here. I figured it would be a nice gift for the family I've sort of adopted there. My friend came here to California and worked for my family and friends to earn the $4,000 USD to ship it. Once there, the truck was suddenly worth some ridiculous amout and was taxed accordingly by St Lucian Customs. It cost me $5,500 USD just to get it out of customs. My friend assured me it was worth it because he was going to use it for work and was going to make lots of money with it and would pay me back right away. Once out, the truck was stolen and held for almost two years by an estranged relative of the guy I gave it to. Once it was in the hands of the person it was supposed to go to he wanted out from under it because everyone on the island wanted to use it. He never earned s single dollar with it. I told him he had to wait until I came to visit because I wanted to drive it there. I visited for 10 days and beat the crap out of it. As soon as I was back home it was on the market. He eventually sold it and sent me $1,500 USD.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:39 AM
wedge0
Intermediate

Old 06-23-2015, 12:19 AM
wedge0
Intermediate

Sorry for so many pictures. As it turnouts there is another buyer interested who is willing to pay the same agreed price I arranged, immediately. The owner has given me first choice as I viewed the car first. I have 24hours to secure it.

What I'd would like to ask is can you spot anything massively wrong? Does it appear to be a true 24KM car?

The under body has been treated, about 5 years ago and the owner seems to really have taken care of it.

There is a strut bar in the luggage bay and apart from engine tuning and a small mod in the factory exhaust the owner says everything is stock.

The air con was ice cold which really surprised me.

I only found rust underneath the battery which was just about revieling itself from the underside of the car it dint look big or bad. Wheel wells, engine bay, kidneys, sills, door, bottoms of windscreens etc all seemed rust free.

A couple of very small paint bubbles on the b posts which weirdly seemed to be in exactly the same place on both right and left posts. If the kidneys seem dry and solid should there be anything to worry about?

From all my other test drives(only 5 cars and some of which where 993s) this really seemed the rawest,
fastest, lightest and tightest.

On that assumption and the support from you guys above I am going to double my initial budget for my first Porsche and buy this one tomorrow. So please if you spot anything that I should consider before buying I would appreciate it if you let me know. Thanks again for the invaluable insight I have been shown by you all along the way. I am almost there! extremely excited to be joining the ranks of the air-cooled club!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:43 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Again, great looking car.

Steel braided brake lines is a plus

Bilstein Sports front and rear is a plus

The A/C deck lid condenser is aftermarket....also a plus in your climate

Front brake pad wear sensors have been pulled off and zip tied out of the way. Not sure why. This may causes the brake warning light on the dash to stay on and give you no brake lights. I had this problem and my temporary fix was to pull the rearward pressure switch off the master cylinder. The switches are something like $12.00 ea and easy to get. Not a big deal. They likely broke when the calipers were painted...or the wrong pads were installed that don't have the slots for the sensors.

Could use a pair of Turbo tie rods. Will improve the feel of the car. Cost about $175

All the black Cosmoline is interesting, but non the less necessary in your climate. Does not look like they are trying to hide anything.

All in all I love your car. ****** it up quick and enjoy.

Quick Reply: 87' coupe non-sunroof, is this it?