Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Cooled Bubble?

Old 01-14-2017, 06:22 PM
RFP
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
I don't see anyone drooling over these air cooled cars except people over age 50.
The kids might find the newer 911's interesting, but our cars might as well be VW Beetles.
Oh, dang, Sugarwood... you are not hanging out in the right places. My '87 continues to create a lot of interest from many, many under 50! This past summer, I rejected an offer from a guy in his 40s... the offer was close to twice what I paid for the car just three years ago.

Rob
Old 01-14-2017, 10:39 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Yeah. I guess the ABS and airbags in the 964s and 993s, and OBDII, traction control and the Weissach rear axle in the 993 make up the exceptions.
lol. mic drop. well said. #duh
Old 01-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Even good examples of early G-series bring big money now!
Having just sold my 84 Euro coupe last week I can confirm that the market is strong, even in January. I only listed it in the PCA classifieds to avoid as many tire kickers as possible and was inundated with responses from the start. I removed the ad after 1 day as I already had a deposit within the first few hours.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:57 AM
greens
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Having just sold my 84 Euro coupe last week I can confirm that the market is strong, even in January. I only listed it in the PCA classifieds to avoid as many tire kickers as possible and was inundated with responses from the start. I removed the ad after 1 day as I already had a deposit within the first few hours.
Wish you had listed it here I would have snapped it up double time. Been looking for a solid well sorted Euro 81-85 for quite some time.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:20 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

i get many a thumbs up from the under-50 crowd re: my '87 911 Coupe, i get many "don't ever sell that car" from my under-50 acquaintances, some are later model Porsche owners. sure it's a small sample and not a scientific study, opinions only. my theory is the air-cooled market is resting, not going down/not going up except for the "collector" cars. collector cars will go up maybe not so fast as recently but up they will go, these are the limited edition cars, low low mileage, pristine, jerry seinfeld territory. an "issue", i believe it's been said many times before on this forum, is quite a few folks mix our great non-garage kings with the "collector" cars when they discuss pricing bubbles.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by greens
Wish you had listed it here I would have snapped it up double time. Been looking for a solid well sorted Euro 81-85 for quite some time.
Had two Euros, an 82 and an 84, both were great cars but I'm glad to be out of the air-cooled game. Best of luck in your search.

Originally Posted by grgallo
i believe it's been said many times before on this forum, is quite a few folks mix our great non-garage kings with the "collector" cars when they discuss pricing bubbles.
True. Even our "driver" level cars that we think are pretty great often have a lot of little niggles that we've just learned to live with. Problem is, when you go to sell, those items need to be addressed to fetch full value. These cars are old and there are fewer and fewer every year that still look really good.

To any of you looking to buy, look REALLY carefully at the car you're considering whether in person or through a trusted shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Cooled Bubble?