Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

88 3.2 G50 Pricing Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:19 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 88 3.2 G50 Pricing Help Needed

I'm interested in an 88 3.2 G50 and was wondering what you guys think a good price would be. The car is an '88, 160K miles, Guards Red, tan interior, original wheels (Fuchs), assume good maintenance. Paint is about an 8 and interior about 7-8 as well. Radio is missing. Looks to be well cared for.
I'm really interested in the car and would appreciate your thoughts………….I'm going to be giving up my '06 997 C2S cab w 42K miles and tons of options to join the air cooled, old school coolness. Weekend and occasional driver for me……….I'm enamored with the original 911 looks, simplicity, and raw driving experience.
Thanks guys!
Old 05-29-2015, 02:42 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Some pics would help.
Why do you assume it was maintained?
Old 05-29-2015, 03:03 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Some pics would help.
Why do you assume it was maintained?
I'm assuming good maintenance based on discussion with the seller who also has records for most of the cars life. I would verify what I can with a PPI too.

Here's the link to the car. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.carsauto.com/1988-porsche...era-c-763.htm?
Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If this is your first air-cooled I would recommend keeping your 997 also.

Honestly you don't know what you're getting yourself into. I have the best of both worlds and am very happy with my 86. However, it has taken a lot to get it to where it is now, and it was a car in excellent running condition and I still have a few things to do.
Fortunately I have the best mechanic, do you have someone lined up?

160k miles is A LOT.

If you can't keep the 997 I advise against this. I am not trying to be negative, just offering the best advice I can. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:48 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott997
If this is your first air-cooled I would recommend keeping your 997 also.

Honestly you don't know what you're getting yourself into. I have the best of both worlds and am very happy with my 86. However, it has taken a lot to get it to where it is now, and it was a car in excellent running condition and I still have a few things to do.
Fortunately I have the best mechanic, do you have someone lined up?

160k miles is A LOT.

If you can't keep the 997 I advise against this. I am not trying to be negative, just offering the best advice I can. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the input, and I'll definitely need to consider it strongly. I won't be keeping two weekend cars, so its one or the other. Just out of curiosity………if the car is well maintained, what should I be afraid of? Are there certain items that just go kaput after 160K miles?…………..my impression was that these are well built and tough cars. I'm sure there are engines that have seen mileage well past 160K. Any of your experiences are much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

If the PPI checks out I'm thinking around $30k for a high mileage driver. I own a 89 3.2 and the engine is bullet proof (if properly maintained) but like any old vehicle make sure everything is sorted out. Even the little things can get quite expensive to repair/replace unless you are doing the work/diagnosis yourself.

At 160k I would think the engine would of had a top end rebuild or impeccable maintenance records to be running great. Best of luck with your purchase.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought an '88 with similar mileage (161k). Any records on the engine, in particular a top end rebuild (valve guides being the issue)? If its been done recently and the rest of the car is very clean i think its still slightly on the high end for pricing.

I picked up mine for a bit cheaper than that; it was enthusiast owned and a drivers car (which was a plus for me). The big draw for me is it had 7k miles on a split case rebuild. Color was granite green (which i really liked). Interior maybe a 6 or 7 (just needs to be 'freshened' up). Body is a 8-9, after a good detail a solid 9. I thought the price i paid was fair for the current market ($36k).

Take a look on Hagerty for pricing. I usually dont go by these but i found they were pretty accurate over what i saw over the course of a 2-3 month period.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:01 AM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
Thanks for the input, and I'll definitely need to consider it strongly. I won't be keeping two weekend cars, so its one or the other. Just out of curiosity………if the car is well maintained, what should I be afraid of? Are there certain items that just go kaput after 160K miles?…………..my impression was that these are well built and tough cars. I'm sure there are engines that have seen mileage well past 160K. Any of your experiences are much appreciated.
You will POTENTIALLY, I'm not saying definitely; be chasing down a few oil leaks, sending the speedometer out for repair, want to replace the suspension, CV joints, wheel bearings, window switch or two...

If you do purchase you'd want to be proactive and have a valve adjustment, oil change, engine air filter replacement, new spark plug wires, plugs, cap, transmission fluid replace, brake fluid, pads, DME RELAY, etc.

Then since you're coming from a 997 the car is going to feel really slow, so you will want headers, exhaust, steve wong chip, air condition mods, new head unit with usb and bluetooth.

The car looks very clean but with that mileage you will be expecting to open your wallet right from the get go and have to put in at least 7k to make it right. Unless you have access to a lift and good mechanic skills.

I ran into all kinds of stuff and am still sorting it out. Having that said, I'm having a GREAT time driving mine pretty much daily, she starts right up every time and now she handles and pulls strong. It's a rewarding car to drive. I have had 3 997's If I was offered a trade back to one of my past ones would I take it????? That I don't know.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it or rain on your parade. I just want you to know what you are getting into. Another friend of mine went from water to air cooled and has best of both worlds like I do. Giving one up is what makes this a tough decision.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:38 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

These are great cars. As mentioned, the records as it relates to the engine are critical. If it has had a top-end refresh, typically a full head rebuild with new guides and valves, then you are better off. If no records indicating that, this is a premium for a high mileage car - more than I would pay. I say that because I would expect to drop $5-7K at the minimum to get it right to drive and establish a baseline before driving it. That does not include all of the cosmetic and electrical things which will pop up I am sure. Terrific color and interior. Needs some attention though. Good luck. After my '71 Six is done, I would love to locate and buy and '87-89 G50 coupe.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:40 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have an 88 with about 167k miles on it.

Mine had the top end rebuilt priod to my purchase (about 70k miles ago). I have put about 60k since my purchase. There are things that have failed since my purchase but nothing catastrophic. e.g. door key servo tumbler, window support rail, oil cooler fan, cruise control cable, hood & trunk supports (many times), odometer and r.v. mirror night/day toggle. Most expensive failure was my catalytic converter at $800. First thing after pick up, i changed out the shocks, ball joints and turbo tie rods (~$2500). Worth every penny. Upgraded a/c system next. Regular maintenance is not too bad, especially if you do some yourself. Tires last longer than i expected, at least compared to my boxster. Going to have valves adjusted this week along with s.p. wires and a tune ($1000). Even before the tune, I would not hesitate to use it daily, just not in bumper to bumper freeway traffic. Just expect that things are going to wear out due to time.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:26 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the great advice guys............what an awesome forum! Makes me feel like I already have a bunch of friends ready to help out. I feel like I'd be going in with my eyes a little more open now.
I'm definitely cut from the same cloth as you guys............I couldn't live with a car that hasn't been sorted out and I'd want to get everything totally dialed over time. There is so much more appeal to me in an older car that is in great shape and completely dialed than there is in a newer car. It seems clear that I need to find out about the top end, and if it hasn't been done I need to use that as a bargaining chip. I test drove it yesterday through the SF marina district (heavy traffic, no freeway) and here are my quick observations..........remember I'm used to a 997.
First, you get a lot more attention in a 911 than a 997 and I don't think its just a Guards Red thing. The car is the icon everyone seems to relate to. Engine fires up instantly and runs and pulls strong..........drip pan under the car in the dealers showroom had no evidence of leaks (they could have wiped it before I showed up, but I looked under the engine and didn't see anything either before or after the drive). Clutch is strong. Windows work fine, seals around the whole car all look good (car has been garaged all its life). AC works well, heater does not work. No radio. Interior is in really good shape. Exterior paint is pretty good (1 small spot of clear coat failure on drivers door). A few door dings on both doors I would need to have taken out. Does the 27 year old paint react well to PDR?.. I would need to refinish the wheels due to some curb rash. Front suspension shock tower mounts look crappy.........lots of black, crusty, rubber smeared around the nuts.........is this expected? Zero rust (CA car) Didn't test seat heaters or sunroof. Headliner is immaculate. I was expecting the steering response to be more nimble than my 997, but I think due to the narrower front tires and lack of power steering it felt a little more numb around town......could be an issue with the suspension? No shakes or rattles. I could take my hands off the wheel and accelerate and brake and she pulls dead straight. I love these cars! Better than my 997?.............two different to compare.
My next steps are to sell the 997. If this car is still available I will take it for a PPI and then bargain depending on the results. If not, this one, then the search begins.........I'm not in a rush, and now that I know it will take about 10K to totally dial the car I'm prepared mentally. I'm ready for 911 ownership..........my short test drive confirmed that for me. With the right suspension and refreshed bits, these cars must be much more rewarding and fun to drive than a modern 911.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:46 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default if you like it that much, I would not wait.....

Can you buy without selling? Prices are appreciating on these cars. Hard to find good examples at fair prices. Plus you let it out where the car is located. Sign a contract before you start the ppi.(subject to ppi results).
Old 05-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are seeing clear coat failure the car may have had a repaint. As far as i know most of the base colors through the mid 90's had no clear coat from the factory, just metallic. Not saying its a bad thing, just an FYI.

Overall the car your looking at looks very nice and with 'the market' still fresh in my head i would have been a buyer for maybe $5-6k less than the asking if no record of the top end being done. If it was done semi-recently, i think mid $30's is fair. A leak down / compression test will be very telling about the condition of the engine and any potential valve guide issues. The PO of my car bought it with 150k miles roughly and a few hundred after purchase had a local shop do a leak down which had over 35% in one of the cylinders. Compression test was excellent though. I figure this is very telling of very worn valve guides which prompted the rebuild.

These cars are alot of fun and very special. This is my 4th 80's Porsche but first 911. I always read about how these air cooled 911's get under your skin and never really understood it until i got in one and put a few miles on it. As tone said, the prices on these has been going up pretty steadily the last few years. But if its any indication; the 993 prices seem to have peaked and honestly i cant imagine a g50 3.2L going past that but stranger things have happened. The 3.2L and SC market bubble has lagged the 993 but its definitely catching up. I hate to dabble on the pricing of these cars but hope to give you a clear picture of what i saw over the last 6 or so months i was browsing. I think 'reasonable' pricing for a car that doesnt need a thing is around the low to mid $40k range; i mostly think this is reserved for lower mileage cars though. For a solid drivers car that has some miles on it but is in great shape overall i think you will be looking in the mid to high $30k range.

Good advice from all about being 'wary' of the car and making sure it checks out. As others have said i would be prepared to dump easily another $5-10k (+/- $ depending how mechanically inclined you are) into the car over the first year or two to really get it up to par because inevitably you will find things that need to be fixed especially with 160k miles. All i can say is no matter how good condition its in, just remember its a 30 year old car. After just seeing the car i purchased i already had a sizable running list of things i would need to address to bring the car up to my standards and after the 500 mile home cruising the Pacific Coast Highway even more things. I think so far i am 1 month in and have already made quite a few sizable orders from Pelican. All in good fun though .
Old 05-30-2015, 03:43 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

These are indeed special cars. I have owned my 1985 911, with 110,000 miles, since new, and for the last four years it has shared garage space with a 2011 997.2. I had originally planned to sell my 1985, but fortunately I didn't. At first I drove the 997 about twice as much as the 911, but now it's about even. Keeping forever!

I can attest that if properly maintained, not much goes wrong on the 3.2. And don't arbitrarily ignore an early 3.2 with the 915 transmission. Good luck, Mike.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:09 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I would think $30K would be the high watermark only if everything checks out. There will be a lot of things you don't see which could add up to be $,$$$ a lot. Make sure to get a PPI and the price would have to be adjusted accordingly.

Quick Reply: 88 3.2 G50 Pricing Help Needed