Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New 911 Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:49 AM
dwells
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 911 Owner Questions

Hello I just purchased a 1978 911 Minerva Blue. I am a Newbie, my first 911 and loving it so far.

questions:

It is supposedly a Euro spec car, I have documentation showing when It was imported in 1988, But what details on the car determine this for sure?

Also, The car shows only about 45k miles, I have documentation to back this up, But I am skeptical this is true, which is why im wondering if the speedometer/odometer was changed from the KM/H with a american spec??

Not sure, I am new at this....
Old 05-25-2015, 07:03 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VIN number is the key - if it starts with WPOZZZ then its a Euro/ROW car. The engine type is also different.

Odometer gears as well as the magnetic sensor on the transmission are both prone to failure, some folk prefer to save the dollars and just drive around before getting round to fixing it. I find interior to be the best indicator of miles. In your specific case you might have lost a few kilometres during the switch too - you should have a date stamp on the back of it.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:26 PM
dwells
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
VIN number is the key - if it starts with WPOZZZ then its a Euro/ROW car. The engine type is also different.

Odometer gears as well as the magnetic sensor on the transmission are both prone to failure, some folk prefer to save the dollars and just drive around before getting round to fixing it. I find interior to be the best indicator of miles. In your specific case you might have lost a few kilometres during the switch too - you should have a date stamp on the back of it.

My vin only starts with 911 it is on the plate under the hood.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

also does it have lights mounted in the fender as opposed to the extra light around the bumper
Does it have a rear mounted fog light ?

Also give us the engine number on the casing down where the engine fan meets the casing on the right side.

Sound like a North American destined car though as technically they are all " European imports"

Good luck
Old 05-25-2015, 02:22 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The WP0 stuff started in 1980-1. So it's correct that the VIN should start 9118.....then the 4th digit (I think) is a 2 for US cars.

Likely your car is a nice survivor, you having bought it now. When we saw most of the POS cars come over starting in about '86, they were the worst of the worst. 7,8,10 years of being beat to hell, then thrown on a boat so someone could be parted with his cash over here. And with odometer swaps came rollbacks. Most of the cars had around 100K KM on them.

Quick Reply: New 911 Owner Questions