Engine doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 PM
oprevot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine doesn't start

Hello guys.
I have a 1986 911 Carrera and sometimes, it randomly refuses to start. It's been going on for quite a while and it's driving me nuts. My battery is new, the DME is new, I have a new alternator as well.
Here is what's happening: I drive the car for a month without any problems. I stop somewhere, turn off the car and when I get back in, nothing. I put the key in, the radio comes on, everything seems fine, but when I turn the key the engine doesn't turn over.
I have to have someone push me and I start the car in second gear. Then it works fine for a while.
I had an old Clifford alarm and I had it removed thinking this was the problem but it happened again 5 weeks after that.
Has anyone dealt with this type of issue? I will really appreciate any help.

Olivier
Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oprevot
Hello guys.
I have a 1986 911 Carrera and sometimes, it randomly refuses to start. It's been going on for quite a while and it's driving me nuts. My battery is new, the DME is new, I have a new alternator as well.
Here is what's happening: I drive the car for a month without any problems. I stop somewhere, turn off the car and when I get back in, nothing. I put the key in, the radio comes on, everything seems fine, but when I turn the key the engine doesn't turn over.
I have to have someone push me and I start the car in second gear. Then it works fine for a while.
I had an old Clifford alarm and I had it removed thinking this was the problem but it happened again 5 weeks after that.
Has anyone dealt with this type of issue? I will really appreciate any help.

Olivier
The solenoid in your starter motor is failing intermittently so that the gears are not engaging to turn the engine over. You need a new starter motor. (Probably.)
Old 05-18-2015, 12:40 AM
oprevot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point Terry. I had the car up on a lift last week and I didn't think about checking the starter. The car starts without hesitation (I mean, when it starts at all). I will clean the wires and solenoid first. Thank you very much for your input.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:15 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Nvmd... Need to learn to read... Lol
Old 05-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has to be the starter, espiecally if you can push start it.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:31 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Starbuckslova1
Has to be the starter, espiecally if you can push start it.
yup .

OP have yours rebuilt or convert to a high torque starter.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:15 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

If you go to the trouble to take it out to mess with the solenoid, just get a new high torque starter. Also saves weight.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:56 AM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Did the problem exist prior to the new battery, DME, and alternator?

This may be unrelated to your problem, but I once chased down a similar-sounding problem for nearly a year on my '85. Intermittently, like one out of 10 times: Key to on, I hear a fuel pump, everything works, then when I turn the key to the start position, nothing would happen. Once I hit this 1/10 failure mode, I was stuck until I waited it out for a long time, or ... I found that hooking up jumper cables for a jump start would make it start immediately every time (no need to wait at all for the charging to proceed). I cleaned every related electrical contact I could find, replaced ground straps, tested starter components, and I forget what else.

Anyway, it turned out to be a faulty Optima battery that was less than a year old when the problems started. I could not believe it. But after replacing the battery (on warranty), the problem never occurred again.

Just a data point to consider.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:51 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Did the problem exist prior to the new battery, DME, and alternator?

This may be unrelated to your problem, but I once chased down a similar-sounding problem for nearly a year on my '85. Intermittently, like one out of 10 times: Key to on, I hear a fuel pump, everything works, then when I turn the key to the start position, nothing would happen. Once I hit this 1/10 failure mode, I was stuck until I waited it out for a long time, or ... I found that hooking up jumper cables for a jump start would make it start immediately every time (no need to wait at all for the charging to proceed). I cleaned every related electrical contact I could find, replaced ground straps, tested starter components, and I forget what else.

Anyway, it turned out to be a faulty Optima battery that was less than a year old when the problems started. I could not believe it. But after replacing the battery (on warranty), the problem never occurred again.

Just a data point to consider.
wow intermittent shorted cell

that is super rare ..
Old 05-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Could also be a ground strap issue, on further contemplation, or the "yellow wire" having a continuity issue. Odds are highest, it would be the starter, as a "wear item".
Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ground strap on tranny?

Quick Reply: Engine doesn't start