Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Desirable???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:38 PM
racesx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desirable???

How rare and/or desirable would a "triple" white '83 SC Cab be worth (white car, white interior, white top, and even white wheels all factory spec'd)?

I'm a water-cooled guy, and don't have much knowledge on the older cars (other than dreaming in high school over these cars).

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful insight!
Old 05-15-2015, 10:48 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Interesting question. Here's my humble opinion, as an owner of a white '85 cab ...

I personally would think it was an interesting thing to come across in the parking lot one day. I'd go and check it out. But no way would I want it. I don't think it would look too good.

A white interior would be tough to keep white.
A white canvas top ... !!! ... would probably look great in the museum, but not anywhere else.
The white paint (mine is Grand Prix White = the whiter vs. the Alpine White also offered in my year) is great. They did not use clear coat on the white paints, which I think is a great advantage in the long run if you take care of it.
White wheels I think do look cool on a white body. I've got the standard anodized black Fuchs.
The other thing you'd have with a 4-way white match is that they would all be slightly different shades of white, even if just due to the different textures and surfaces, so it would be a match, but not a perfect one, which might look worse than with different colors.

Rare? - I've never even heard of that, so I'll guess it's rare, and yes, I'd love to see photos.

As far as collectibility, of course it is a little cooler still because '83 was when they first brought the cab back.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

I would say less desirable than just about any other combo you could imagine.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:38 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

You could always buy it post production numbers for '83 cabs and then tout is as:

- only one of its kind.
-the first year of the cab

And who knows some amateur collector may bite and you could make a good profit.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:47 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Gawd... sooo '80's.

If you can document the factory provenance... Porsche always did special orders.. then you have something "interesting" and rare... if it is after-market, its a sideshow attraction.

I'd echo the opinion of most 911 guys that this color-combo is not desirable to most Porsche Collectors... personally, I'd be perfectly comfortable driving a pink '55 Eldorado Convertible, but would probably not want to be seen in a 4-way white 911... jus' saying'...

Still, 'one of a kind" is one of a kind, and there may be some guy out there that just has to have it.... a real conundrum....

A nice '83 SC Cab is probably a $25-35K car, so if you can get it at the low end for condition, it might be a buy...
Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

interesting color combo...

I know of a 1986 cabrio available. White exterior, white wheels, blue interior, blue top.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

around me there selling for low 30's

33 will buy a nice one.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:27 PM
racesx
Instructor

Yes, not a fan of the all white option at all. Just curious if it was rare and/or desirable. After a little research, sounds like its not really either. But it does sound like a good deal for a "fixer-upper", needing a new top and interior. Supposedly runs but has after-market wheels on it. I'm going to go look at it now, so we'll see. I can post pics if anyone is interested???
Old 05-19-2015, 04:10 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I have to wonder if the top was done after the fact. I've only ever seen triple white cars as paint, interior and wheels. Special wishes stuff is actually pretty hot right now, especially in oddball color combos. I am going to go against the grain and say that if you can document the white top is original from Porsche you've got a car worth 10-15% more than similar condition '83 Cabs. And '83 cab is already valuable because it is the only SC cab. Add in weird color and certain collectors will drool.

If you buy this car, I would try to flip it by selling it through a BAT auction. Check out this one that ends tomorrow:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/197...-911-sc-targa/
I think it's still going to move a fair bit from current bid before it ends.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:05 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Click down a few on the Vanilla Ice car.... hoo whaa
Old 05-19-2015, 06:42 PM
racesx
Instructor

Okay, so saw the car and took a quick drive with it. Owner just performed a "major service" on it, including a new clutch. Car has a black top (swore he said white top in phone conversation???), but has original white wheels and white seats. Needs tires and cosmetic work, has 134k mileage on it, but is all there with a whale tail on it (is that a factory option?). Need to get a PPI, but price seems right ...
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2015, 06:52 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Those aren't original wheels, but I wouldn't make it a deal killer. If you buy it and want it right, I have a set of white Fuchs out in the barn, but they are driver quality wheels. Not super nice, but straight and true.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 PM
racesx
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTgears
Those aren't original wheels, but I wouldn't make it a deal killer. If you buy it and want it right, I have a set of white Fuchs out in the barn, but they are driver quality wheels. Not super nice, but straight and true.
I was wondering about those wheels ... look more '90's vintage also. If I do go through with this, I might take you up on your offer, thanks!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those wheels are BBS

If its a good deal and you like it i see no reason not to get it.

check for oil leaks
Old 05-20-2015, 11:44 AM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BBS wheels were THE 911 wheels to have in the 1980's. The gold spiderweb centers with silver rim/lip were a very popular Porsche look for the 944 and 911,930. They were the first of the big dollar wheels and much more sought after than the original OEM Futch that were considered "dated" at the time.

Quick Reply: Desirable???