Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil and Engine Temps

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil and Engine Temps

What are the max limits of temps with a stock 2.7? I've upgraded to a multi-row fender cooler with some airflow /valence ducting improvements (probably more can be done here), and on DE days my oil temp gets to and sometimes above 210. Is it worth the trouble to install head temp sensors, and if so, where is the best location? As far as I know the oil pump is stock - should I be looking at improvements here? At speed my oil pressure gauge shows 50-60 psi depending on rpm. Running Brad Penn, etc. I hold rpms to low redline max.
Cases have been time certed, relatively recent top end, tensioners, etc. Doesn't consume any oil presently, so all 'round healthy engine. I'd like to keep it that way.
Thanks.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:12 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

In my 75 2.7 I have seen oil temps as high as 210/ 220 in slow heavy traffic on the LA freeways in mid summer. I have not had a problem in any way. Im using M1 V twin 20/50 oil which works very well in hot engines that are air cooled or turbo charged.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Thanks Spanky.
My concern is that hi temps at hi revs could cause troubles.
-C
Old 05-22-2015, 10:44 AM
fennlane
AutoX

Oil temperature is a very emotive subject and causes huge disagreements.

The manufacturers of modern synthetic oils always claim that their oils can tolerate higher temperatures and I am sure this is true.

The problem, of course, is that higher oil temperatures also mean higher bearing temperatures and this is when the trouble starts.

If the oil temperature is too high then the bearing temperature will also be too high and this is problematic.

Bearing materials have not significantly changed and as bearing temps are typically 30degC higher than the oil inlet temp the too high a temp will cause premature failure.

On a hard driven engine under load I never like to seem more than 90degC. At this temp bearings should last well.

Also as viscosity falls the hydrostatic forces will be lower and it may be good to change grade to ensure that all is still well.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:45 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

I totally agree. The best oil in the world will not help if the max operating temp of the bearing material has been exceeded.

Quick Reply: Oil and Engine Temps