Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need opinions on the value of a 1975 911S

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:23 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Spanky,

Nice car, I think your car is worth more than that.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Interesting article in a recent SCM that put cars into three categories. The first is Immortals, which are cars that have so much marketable value that you could rebuild a burned out, rusted hulk from nothing more than a legit VIN plate and make lots of money in the process. A '73 or earlier S coupe is, I think, squarely in that category and my guess is that an unmolested '75 S is headed that way soon.

I would not disagree with Matt's valuation for the car as-is, but it would be really up to you and what you decide to do with the car that influences its potential value.

I would, though, strongly encourage you to have the car inspected by a neutral, trustworthy body shop as well as an experienced Porsche mechanic before you agree to a price. What looks to be solid and rust free to your amateur's inspection may turn into a nightmare once someone starts looking more carefully inside the rocker panels, center tunnel, etc. Corrosion loves to hide.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:54 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Kevin. The fact that it's a year before galvanizing started does worry me. I'm going to try and have it inspected to make sure there isn't any rust hiding in the hard to see areas. Appreciate the input.

Originally Posted by KevinGross
Interesting article in a recent SCM that put cars into three categories. The first is Immortals, which are cars that have so much marketable value that you could rebuild a burned out, rusted hulk from nothing more than a legit VIN plate and make lots of money in the process. A '73 or earlier S coupe is, I think, squarely in that category and my guess is that an unmolested '75 S is headed that way soon.

I would not disagree with Matt's valuation for the car as-is, but it would be really up to you and what you decide to do with the car that influences its potential value.

I would, though, strongly encourage you to have the car inspected by a neutral, trustworthy body shop as well as an experienced Porsche mechanic before you agree to a price. What looks to be solid and rust free to your amateur's inspection may turn into a nightmare once someone starts looking more carefully inside the rocker panels, center tunnel, etc. Corrosion loves to hide.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:21 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

I think the galvinized thing is overblown. When these cars were all season drivers and parked outside it mattered. They don't get treated like that any more. If it hasn't rusted yet there's nothing to worry about buying an early car.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross

Pricing old cars is like pricing art... so many variables, that each one is basically unique...

But a '73 911S and a '75 911S are not even in the same zip code.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on the value of a 1975 911S