Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1969-1973 hotrod project options

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
May be cheaper to buy an already built car and sell the chassis you have. The hot rod market has cooled off so there are some decent deals to be had.
Phil
I too have noticed a lot more hot rod 911 long nose cars sitting and not selling.
Has it really cooled off or is there just alot more cars in the market?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:18 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I too have noticed a lot more hot rod 911 long nose cars sitting and not selling.
Where besides here, Pelican, and eBay do you see these for sale?
Old 05-23-2015, 12:04 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Has it really cooled off or is there just alot more cars in the market?
I think you've seen my other comments about froth on the top of the market versus a bubble? I think a lot of frothy hot rods have come to market. What I mean is that as nice drivers and superlative hot rods went up in value, a lot of home built or B grade hot rods got pulled out and tried to get top dollar.

That '72T done as an RSR that was discussed the other day comes to mind.

There was a '67 911 normal hot rod that Dick Barbour bought at Auction. Car sold for mid $80's last fall. Barbour bought it for something like $110 on behalf of a client that backed out. And then listed it for $135k. For a non-numbers matching 67 with a built 2.7 in it. Had a mag case 911 gearbox that didn't even appear to have been rebuilt. Underpinnings of the car were all updated with SC/Carrera parts and Tarret/Elephant type modifications. The typical hot rod update stuff guys have been doing forever. The car was nice and had a $10k paint job in a cool color. But it was not a $135k car. It got marked down twice to close to their purchase price and is now off their website.

These cars are typical of the hot rods being put out right now. You aren't seeing many R-Gruppe cars that were built by Aase or Rothsport or that sort of thing. Those are the cars that will sell for equal to or more than the equivalent year and trim of what they started out as.

This car was build by a friend of mine:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...beginning.html
Started as a 912. His craftsmanship is superlative for a shadetree. Last Fall he listed it for $80k. He pulled it after 6 weeks due to a combination of no interest and the fact that he really was only considering selling to help fund other projects. A checkbook builder couldn't get that car put together for $80k. But the completed car won't sell for that.

Parts make a huge difference. Does the hot rod have genuine '68S sport seats or Classic GTS replica seats? Weber 46s or PMO 46s? A factory 100l center fill gas tank or one that was made out of a stock gas tank? Etc. You could have a '67 normal with a ton of real R/Sport Purposes parts that would easily be a 6 figure car. And then you could have someone's homebuilt equivalent that looks the same to the casual glance at cars-n-coffe that would be lucky to command $75k, it that.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Where besides here, Pelican, and eBay do you see these for sale?
Mainly ebay... there is typically one a week that appears... And reappears.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
I think you've seen my other comments about froth on the top of the market versus a bubble? I think a lot of frothy hot rods have come to market. What I mean is that as nice drivers and superlative hot rods went up in value, a lot of home built or B grade hot rods got pulled out and tried to get top dollar.
These cars are typical of the hot rods being put out right now. You aren't seeing many R-Gruppe cars that were built by Aase or Rothsport or that sort of thing. Those are the cars that will sell for equal to or more than the equivalent year and trim of what they started out as.
Yes, that must be what i have seen. Really good hot rods have been selling for strong money and result B grade hot rods were selling for higher then normal.

It must be the B grades that i am seeing not selling as there has been a few sitting for sale.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:25 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

You've seen my Orange 'T, and it is a restoration back to a rust free standard narrow body in all steel. I have had second thoughts all along about the final specification and that it will be a hotrod in part and maybe not as valuable but I keep coming back to three things;
1. The car didn't come with the original engine and box so a bigger and later transplant is happening but it is not forever.
2. The interior was non existant so it was open season on that.
3. A 70T 2.2 on carbs with skinny wheels and riding high on horse hair stuffed sprung seats is not for me....
Everything can be reversed without body work and the original specification parts and materials can be found. I don't know if this will happen but When I get old and change my outlook on originality it is an easy conversion back to stock. Just lots of money.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
You've seen my Orange 'T, and it is a restoration back to a rust free standard narrow body in all steel. I have had second thoughts all along about the final specification and that it will be a hotrod in part and maybe not as valuable but I keep coming back to three things;
1. The car didn't come with the original engine and box so a bigger and later transplant is happening but it is not forever.
2. The interior was non existant so it was open season on that.
3. A 70T 2.2 on carbs with skinny wheels and riding high on horse hair stuffed sprung seats is not for me....
Everything can be reversed without body work and the original specification parts and materials can be found. I don't know if this will happen but When I get old and change my outlook on originality it is an easy conversion back to stock. Just lots of money.
My thoughts exactly.
My 69 came with no motor or box and im not into farm tractor seats.

I will be hot rodding my car and have been trying to follow the market to see where i might end up resale wise.... curious is all.

If the *** drops out of the market on these things it would suck, but alas i am not selling this car.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
A 70T 2.2 on carbs with skinny wheels and riding high on horse hair stuffed sprung seats is not for me...
Agreed
Old 05-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Tugboat 996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

These two are interesting (no affiliation). The silver one looks like it would be a blast to drive but needs some rust repair and TLC.

http://trisslsportscars.com/portfoli...-2-2l-s-motor/

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...7-normale.html
Old 05-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tugboat 996
These two are interesting (no affiliation). The silver one looks like it would be a blast to drive but needs some rust repair and TLC.

http://trisslsportscars.com/portfoli...-2-2l-s-motor/

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...7-normale.html
Yes and the lack of a price on any car for sale (the Trissl one) drives me insane.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Tugboat 996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Yes and the lack of a price on any car for sale (the Trissl one) drives me insane.
They want $70K.

Quick Reply: 1969-1973 hotrod project options