Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 Trans Connect question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 AM
NoSubstitute911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 915 Trans Connect question

My '86 Targa was having transmission problems, so I figured a good winter project would be to drop the engine/trans (first time) and have the transmission rebuilt. Took the trans to Porsche mechanic friend, who went through it and fixed the bad synchros. I'm now in the process of putting it back together and have a question about connecting it back to the engine. The Bentley manual states "turn clutch cross-shaft so that clutch release fork hooks into release bearing". Does this mean the release fork is supposed to ride in/on the bearing? I've attached a picture of how my fork sits looking through the inspection hole at the top of the trans. It looks like my fork (red arrow) is behind the bearing (green arrow). Is this right? If not, how to I get the fork over the bearing while sliding the trans on the engine?
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2015, 10:29 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The fork should ride inside the walls of the bearing... As it is right now when you operate the clutch, the fork wont pull on anything.

As you slide the transmission onto the engine, you have to rotate the clutch fork shaft to get the ends of the fork lined up inside the bearing groove by watching through that access hole. Once they touch the fork will continue to slide into the bearing groove if positioned properly.

To be more specific, when the fork is approaching the bearing as you are sliding the trans towards the engine it will be on a diagonal angle to the face of the bearing. The tips of the fork will enter the groove of the bearing from the left side and the fork will rotate onto the bearing as you mate the trans.

Use some 101 moly in the bearing groove and on the clutch fork.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:53 PM
NoSubstitute911
5th Gear

I kind of thought it wasn't right. Sure glad I noticed it before I installed it back in the car. Thanks for the for the advice and the tip on the grease.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM
NoSubstitute911
5th Gear

I think I got it right this time. Thanks again for the advice.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Looks good!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
The fork should ride inside the walls of the bearing... As it is right now when you operate the clutch, the fork wont pull on anything.

As you slide the transmission onto the engine, you have to rotate the clutch fork shaft to get the ends of the fork lined up inside the bearing groove by watching through that access hole. Once they touch the fork will continue to slide into the bearing groove if positioned properly.

To be more specific, when the fork is approaching the bearing as you are sliding the trans towards the engine it will be on a diagonal angle to the face of the bearing. The tips of the fork will enter the groove of the bearing from the left side and the fork will rotate onto the bearing as you mate the trans.

Use some 101 moly in the bearing groove and on the clutch fork.
What about copper paste? LOL
Old 04-28-2015, 03:26 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
What about copper paste? LOL

Quick Reply: 915 Trans Connect question