Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Radio Wiring Diagram - 89 911 Targa 3.2L?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Franks89-911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Wiring Diagram - 89 911 Targa 3.2L?

I have a 1989 911 Targa, 3.2L. Does anyone have a diagram of the radio wiring for my car? I am replacing the "CD-2" original unit which is kaput, with an aftermarket unit. Apparently no wiring harnesses exist to make my life easier.

This is really all I have been able to find:
http://www.modifiedlife.com/1989-por...e-color-codes/

1989 Porsche 911 Car Radio Wire Color Codes
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Red
Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray/Blue
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: White
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 5 1/4″ Speakers
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 4″ x 6″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:50 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,163 Likes on 834 Posts

Actually i would need nothing more than is right there. The speakers are easy to figure out as it's usually labeled right on the radio. Or on the wires
Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Franks89-911
3rd Gear

Default Radio Wiring - 89 911 3.2L, Porsche CD-2 original head unit,with preamp?!?! PLS HELP

Thanks for the info Iceman.

So...I finally got the CD-2 unit out of the car.

I have a 6-plug white connector, another connector that appears to be for the antenna, and then a 8-pin DIN "preamp" plug. The diagram sticker on the top of the unit is of no help in finding the speaker wires or other wires. See pics.

I really need some help. How do I go from such wiring to connecting an aftermarket head unit? Am I going to have to rewire the whole car?

Thanks,
Frank
Attached Images      
Old 04-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Hi Frank,

It's easier than what it may seem. I'm in the process of upgrading the system on my '87 Carrera coupe.

I'll be installing a Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT unit - upgrading from a Blaupunkt Atlanta 110 unit the PO installed. I'm doing the upgrade mostly for the Bluetooth capability (hands free phone and music streaming), USB port connectivity (charging phone music + playing music), and SD card slot (to ditch the CDs and keep all music in a tiny card).

I purchased the unit from Crutchfield (no affiliation). The rear connectors come with labeled wires that one then joins to the corresponding matching cables on the dash end.

Here's the respective Toronto 420 wiring diagram - You'll quickly identify the matching connections per your vehicle's outgoing radio, and you'll need to do a little extra digging in your car for the speaker wires.

And here's how the radio looks and the plugs you get

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Fast40th; 04-23-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

In addition I'll be installing an external Bluetooth microphone Blaupunkt BPTRN420MIC as well as a nifty USB extension using the rear USB radio port, together with a pair of Retrosound R-612 door speakers to keep somewhat stock looking.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Franks89-911
3rd Gear

Default Blaupunkt Toronto

Thanks Fast40.

I love the look of the Toronto. That's definitely in keeping with the spirit of the car. And the price isn't bad either.

Interestingly, Crutchfield tells me that the Toronto won't fit in the 911. See attached. How did you get yours to fit?
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Franks89-911
Thanks Fast40.

I love the look of the Toronto. That's definitely in keeping with the spirit of the car. And the price isn't bad either.

Interestingly, Crutchfield tells me that the Toronto won't fit in the 911. See attached. How did you get yours to fit?
Hi Frank - Yes that's right the Crutchfield site says that message. I contacted their tech support directly and their reply was that it is a depth issue. In my case I'm replacing an older Atlanta unit for the Toronto unit. The Atlanta is deeper than the Toronto so I was advised I should be ok, and thus I went ahead for the purchase. Radio hasn't arrived yet thus why I haven't confirmed fit. But buying it from Crutchfield (again no affiliation) gives you live tech support and easy return policies in case things don't work out.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Radio Wiring Diagram - 89 911 Targa 3.2L?