Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1973 Targa 911E - Sell to Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 1973 Targa 911E - Sell to Dealer?

OK, so I understand there's some distain for these valuation threads, but the fact remains this forum is an excellent source of expert information. I own a 993 and have a pretty good read on the valuations of that series, but I'm not as aware of values of the older classics.

The car is a 1-owner, all original body panels/paint 1973 911E Targa, Yellow exterior/black interior, 60k miles, no A/C, AM radio, roll-up windows, all paperwork from original transaction. No dents, major scratches and interior has no rips, tears or abnormal wear.

The car isn't used on a regular basis and hasn't been run in a little over a year, but will run and shift without any issues.

Because this car is all-original, low miles, 1-owner and located in PA, I called Holt Motorsports and Sloan Cars and both are interested in seeing pictures and a subsequent personal inspection. So, a dealer would be the easiest and quickest sales channel, but the purchase price would be at a discount, naturally.

The questions is, what would a ball-park price be for this, on a retail level? I'll post some picture at some point, but assuming this car is everything I stated, which it is, is this a $25k, $50k, $100k or whatever car? Just can't find enough comps out there to get a good read on this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

It's a moving target but it might be a $100k car. Without pictures it is really really hard to say.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:44 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Everyone is aware of how the values of the longhoods have been rising over the past 18-24 months; in fact, most air cooled 911's are enjoying a rise in value. You may have a very desirable car on your hands. Genuine original survivors generally bring the strongest money within their model. Generally, targa's are less valuable than their coupe brothers and E's are slotted between S and T versions. If your car is truly an original car in all respects, meaning paint, interior, engine etc, and it's rust free, you have a very desirable car. Holt and Sloan will know the value upon inspection but there are other ways to market the car. eBay with a high reserve? A barn find early 70's mess just sold for over 50k and the bidding was furious. I also suggest speaking with Paul Kramer in Costa Mesa Ca., owner of AutoKennel. He's very dialed in to the early 911 community and will give you great advice and guidance. Geographically undesirable, but Paul has a long reach and is a good man.

I wouldn't be surprised if your car is a $100K example. By the way, which yellow...signal or light yellow? Does it have sport seats?

I have a 72T and a 73S and know the early 911 happenings pretty well. Happy to discuss on the phone if you'd like. PM me if you want to connect.

Nick
Old 03-11-2015, 04:13 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, could easily approach six figures.

No, do not sell to a dealer.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:54 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Well there is not a lot of distain for valuation threads. But there has been distain recently for car flippers just looking to flip cars for a fst buck driving up prices. See kirbys threads

I did notice you did not state anywhere it is your car.

You wanting to flip and make cash ?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

It is not my car; it is a friends car who has lost interest and doesn't really follow the market. He told me he'd like to sell the car and I offered to help him. Like a said, I called a couple air-cooled northeast dealers and posted this thread as first steps to establish valuation.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:16 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Yup, could easily approach six figures.

No, do not sell to a dealer.
This.

Only sell to a dealer if your friend is desperate. They will try to steal the car and will provide every excuse in the book why this particular car is only worth X. They will make it seem like they are doing you a huge favor. Avoid the temptation of the easy sale to a dealer. They are Nick named "stealers" for good reason. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:55 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, $100K is a good baseline for a clean, documented 911E... could be higher.

True value in these cars depends on originality, and more importantly Documenting that originality. To get top dollar for the car, the buyer is going to be a very knowledgeable and sophisticated collector.... and they are not going to trust the seller's word.

The actual price you get depends on how much effort you are willing to make.

My suggestion is to get all the "numbers" off the car... VIN, engine, trans type and serial number, etc. Get a title history, and collect all the service records etc that you can find... incidental stuff like owner's manuals and tools are significant.

Getting a COA from Porsche is a good first step. And getting an independent evaluation from a respected Porsche expert, while it will cost money, will add significant credibility to the car.

Armed with this, there are three options for a car like this.

First is to contract a reputable "broker"... they will charge a commission, but will also have a wide network of potential buyers... they will tell you upfront what they think the car is worth, what their commission is, and will not sell the car without your agreement on the price.

Second is to go through an auction company. If it is a top quality car, most A-list Auctioneers will be willing to take the consignment of a 911E. The downside is that you have to pay to haul the car to the auction, and there is no guarantee on the price... but it is likely to get you your best net deal.

Finally, you can try to sell it yourself, this reduces transaction costs, but IMHO, is also a huge PIA, and probably not worth the effort.

Good Luck.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:20 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K964
This.

Only sell to a dealer if your friend is desperate. They will try to steal the car and will provide every excuse in the book why this particular car is only worth X. They will make it seem like they are doing you a huge favor. Avoid the temptation of the easy sale to a dealer. They are Nick named "stealers" for good reason. Good luck.
Are you calling me a stealer? Based on what, replying to the PO who was looking for advise? I'm a long time enthusiast in the early 911 world and was just offering some help.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP
Are you calling me a stealer? Based on what, replying to the PO who was looking for advise? I'm a long time enthusiast in the early 911 world and was just offering some help.
thats pretty damn funny .... he called it a "nickname' and your name is Nick .. just a really strange coincidence .. I dont think any insult was directed towards you .. a nickname is a fairly common phrase ...

Reminds of my review once with my boss when i said i didnt want to do one thing coz i felt it was a " Joe Job " .. you guessed it , his name was Joe .. didnt gat a raise that year ;(
Old 03-12-2015, 11:51 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Wait...upon further review I think you're correct. I misread it, I don't think K964 was calling me a stealer. Nick name vrs. nickname made the difference. No harm, no foul.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:26 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP
Wait...upon further review I think you're correct. I misread it, I don't think K964 was calling me a stealer. Nick name vrs. nickname made the difference. No harm, no foul.
Little sensitive lately ? LOL ease up ...that was funny !
Old 03-13-2015, 01:42 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman

Reminds of my review once with my boss when i said i didnt want to do one thing coz i felt it was a " Joe Job " .. you guessed it , his name was Joe .. didnt gat a raise that year ;(
I has a boss named Moebius... I suggested he should open a 24/7 strip club... next day I got traded to the Cleveland Browns...
Old 03-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

JMHO, but your friend needs a professional appraisal by someone who is a long-hood expert. Anything less in today's market will sell him short of its value.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:42 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick, now you have to intentionally overpay for your next Porsche at least 10 large....

Quick Reply: 1973 Targa 911E - Sell to Dealer?