Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ebay motors (and jalops)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 12:22 PM
KDRGibby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay motors (and jalops)

Does anyone have experience buying on ebay? The cynic in me thinks this is where the bad Porsches go to get sold.

Has anyone had any trouble arranging a PPI before or after the auction? Will sellers allow a PPI after you win the auction (I guess that is up to the seller).
Old 12-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Ebay is just a medium used for a world wide audience. I've purchased cars there with no issue but do have an inspection done and PPI ...hundreds spent can save you thousands.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:22 PM
KDRGibby
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reiver
Ebay is just a medium used for a world wide audience. I've purchased cars there with no issue but do have an inspection done and PPI ...hundreds spent can save you thousands.
Absolutely, I just need to find a seller that is willing to let me pay for the PPI after I win the bid. I’d rather not spend hundreds while losing bids.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:06 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought my 2006 997 4s on ebay, from jakes motor cars. Five years ago, car is great and only a problem with the sports exhaust this whole time.
Their feedback was around 400 higher end vehicles sold all 100% positive or I wouldn't have done it.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by KDRGibby
Absolutely, I just need to find a seller that is willing to let me pay for the PPI after I win the bid. I’d rather not spend hundreds while losing bids.
If you make arrangements during the bid, save your email traffic, it shouldn't be a hassle.
Agree up front what a deal breaker is....i.e, poor leak down or uneven leak down etc. major end items. Let him know that common wear out stuff is not a deal breaker as that will be his fear...i.e. torn axle boot or other minor stuff.
If the guy won't deal with a PPI you prob don't want the car anyway.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:47 PM
KDRGibby
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reiver
If you make arrangements during the bid, save your email traffic, it shouldn't be a hassle.
Agree up front what a deal breaker is....i.e, poor leak down or uneven leak down etc. major end items. Let him know that common wear out stuff is not a deal breaker as that will be his fear...i.e. torn axle boot or other minor stuff.
If the guy won't deal with a PPI you prob don't want the car anyway.
Still waiting to hear back from the seller, but I pulled an auto history report on it. Looks like this Porsche may have sat unregistered in a small town outside Buffalo, NY for at least 2 years before getting dusted off in May of this year and sold to the current seller (yes, a dealer). An estimated 6 owners, the interior is beat up (well worn to be nice), and the seller posted no money shots. So yes, a PPI is a must before I hand any $$$ over. Seller has good 100% raiting on over 100 reviews.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by KDRGibby
Still waiting to hear back from the seller, but I pulled an auto history report on it. Looks like this Porsche may have sat unregistered in a small town outside Buffalo, NY for at least 2 years before getting dusted off in May of this year and sold to the current seller (yes, a dealer). An estimated 6 owners, the interior is beat up (well worn to be nice), and the seller posted no money shots. So yes, a PPI is a must before I hand any $$$ over. Seller has good 100% raiting on over 100 reviews.
The ebay rating is better than nothing but not something I buy into totally. There are ways to rig that game.
If he is a dealer with an actual dealership then he may be easier to deal with than an individual....more desire for positive feedback.
Good luck.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:07 PM
racngrn
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I've purchased a number of cars on ebay. Mostly good experiences, but not always. Definitely need to connect via telephone. Talking to someone is extremely helpful as BS artists generally shine through. Of course, the PPI is crucial. My purchases have been both dealers and private parties. My 911 was one and was between me and a private party. Excellent car and excellent person to deal with. Called me 6 months later out of the blue to check on the car. He was a long term owner and had real attachment. Ther e are honest folks out there who use ebay to capture a very wide group of buyers. Not always scammers - but plenty of them too. Talk on the phone. It will help. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:45 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I've sold some really good cars on ebay, I've bought a few as well. I agree with what being said - connect on the phone.

Phil
Old 12-21-2014, 08:52 AM
KDRGibby
Instructor

Well the dealership never got back to me... they were closed Friday and Saturday (the last two days of the auction). According to Ebay it went unsold.

But I did discover a useful trick.

Copy and paste the VIN into Google (or your web browser of choice) and you may find an older listing of the car. You may even find what it sold for if it was listed on Ebay.

The 83 I was interested in was listed on Ebay a few months back for $20,100. The new dealership (after some washing and waxing) is now asking $27,900 (too much).

I found another, low-mileage 1980 SC listed (now sold) for $32,995 by a dealership in Arizona. The dealership bought it from a guy in Connecticut for $22,100 back in October. The AZ dealership called it a "California car, now an AZ car so it is rust free!" but didn't mention in the ad he bought it from Connecticut. He 's now sold it to someone who likely didn't do their research.

Final note, I don't think the price surge can last long if dealerships are buying the cars at fair market value and trying to flip them in 2 months for $6k to $10k more. Hopefully the craze has peaked so I can soon get one to enjoy.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Reiver
Drifting

As an aside. I've had a professional auto inspector (AAG) save me from a predator flipper.
After talking to the guy I just had a feeling altho he sounded honest/normal. The TR3 was in Fla and I in Az.
AAG inspected the car and sent an 11 page insp form with pictures...excellent report and the seller had a garage full of euro cars in various shape and repair. This was also noted in the phonecon with the AAG agent.
The seller was a liar/fraud scam artist. He also had a good ebay rating thru buying not selling.
This type of insp does not take the place of a mechanical PPI but saved me thousands of bucks.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:39 PM
shaner
7th Gear

I've had great experiences buying on ebay.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:17 PM
KDRGibby
Instructor

The seller has reposted the 1983 911 SC on Ebay but has not responded back to me yet. I did find out he bought this on Ebay in October for $20,100 (or less as that was the list price on Ebay). He's now asking $27,900.

See the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-Coupe-/141515094354

It was on Ebay for 20 days and didn't sell. Likely because he was offered fair market value and not enough to make a profit. I think it may have been for sale in November as well, but can't be sure

Since (I believe, based on the info in the autocheck) it was sitting in someone's garage unregistered for 2 years outside of Buffalo, NY, I believe he may have had to do some repairs too... but I was trying to figure out how "recent" the major service was... (the car was re-registered in NY in May 2014 after not having been registered in the state since 2011).
Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 PM
KDRGibby
Instructor

His red 86 coupe is gone... oh well.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:35 PM
KDRGibby
Instructor

Well, an 81 coupe is exactly what I want....

Wrong wheels, wrong front bumper, wrong side mirrors, rebuilt title with 160,000 miles, all yours for the low price of $28,000 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...39431#viTabs_0

Quick Reply: Ebay motors (and jalops)