Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Baffling.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Baffling.....

....the RSR Dansk pea shooter on my stock '83 euro w/SSI's.
The Dansk 2/1 that I have is really the benchmark as it is properly tuned for the 3.0 and gives great mid range and top end.
However, being a slave to fashion wanted a 2 out in the middle.
A guy on this site said the Dansk banana 50mm 2in/out RSR was tuned for mid range.
I chopped 2.5 in from the outs as they are 12" long...way too far out there.
The muffler is quiet actually...just a slight low rumble in the distance and can't hear it at all cruising at 60-70+ mph where I do my cruising.
Still it moved my sweet spot a few hundred rpm higher so I thought I'd play with baffles (do this on HotRods).
I took a 1/8" thick alloy tube and cut 1.5 " lengths that fit almost snugly in the 50mm exits....placed the retaining screw/hole 5" back from the exit tip.
I also put one wrap of header tape around the outside of the tube for a snug fit.
I figured the 1 out of the Dansk 2/1 is 2.5 inches....the RSR muffler has two 1 7/8 inner diam outs....lot more moving thru.
The chambers/baffles moved the sweet spot down and it no longer comes on like a new gear....it just rolls on.
I did some high speed 100 mph bursts on the empty 65 mph state road and no starvation.
A bit quieter too and I am for that...nice mellow low note but no droning.
TOTALLY unscientific but lots of fun to play with.
Butt dyno says good but that's a who knows....still, may try some other made up stuff too see what happens.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You know what I did in an effort to cut down on heat? It actually ended up cutting down on the noise level so well that I forgot all about the heat. I wrapped the cat in aviation header heat wrap. Inside a cabriolet it makes a huge difference.

I know you don't have a cat, but wrapping your headers and even your muffler may be worth the effort.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes, that does work...it changes/absorbs the resonation that metal will make when exposed to pulsing.

That's a good idea...should also make the cat more effective for passing emissions as that'll keep the heat 'in'.

It (RSR Dansk w/baffles) is just as quiet as the original Dansk 2/1 that I removed presently, I can only tell the dif when I get on it hard...I am really pleased with the outcome as I was waiting to be disappointed by too much noise or a soft mid range.

Quick Reply: Baffling.....