Valuing a 911 Anniversary Edition

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:58 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Valuing a 911 Anniversary Edition

Hi 911 Forum!

"What's my car worth" threads draw a ton of ire over on the 993 forum (usually because they are thinly veiled attempts at starting auctions via PM), but I hope I'm received without pitchforks here. This thread is made with honest intentions; I come in peace.

I'm hoping to list my '89 911 cab for sale. The car is a Canadian market "25th Anniversary Edition" 911. I'm having a tremendous amount of trouble finding historical sales figures for this model (aside from churning up the odd US market Anniversary Edition, which I'm not sure if a like-for-like comparison) and as such am having trouble honing in on even a ballpark figure of the car's value. If anybody could provide info or steer me in the direction of comparable cars bought/sold in the past, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should post some pics of the car as there are a few 25th owners from all over the world on site perhaps they can chip in.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 AM
sdoolin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles? Silver or black? Overall condition? Service history? Are you original/second/third owner?
Old 11-25-2014, 06:23 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeap,...some pics and history would be in order.

This one is certainly special due to the color. There's SO much bad (wrong) information out there on these Anniversary Editions. Once you get past the BS errors out there, you can then get dizzy when working the production numbers on these pups. I own a silver metallic coupe (U.S.), Anniversary Edition (1989).

One thing's for sure: not many of those (yours') arrived on our shores as a Cab in that color. Aside,...

Depending upon the condition and all the rest,...these babies can fetch some serious money from specific buyers. The days of fetching these for $20K-$22K are over. If she's "right", she could turn anything between $30K and (well) upwards should you have a collector on your hands.

Although an old adage, she'll be worth what someone is willing to pay for her.

Looking forward to your pics.......

BEST!

Doyle
Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Doyle. It's funny, I put a feeler post out on Craigslist and was inundated by people forcefully telling me that it's not an Anniversary Model. A few of them happily ate crow after realizing that some (non US) Anniversary Models were indeed delivered in Marine Blue and that mine is one of them.

Anyhow, a brief survey of the market for non low-mile 3.2Ls pegs their value anywhere from the teens to ~40 depending on condition. Mine is generally in excellent cosmetic condition, good mechanical condition, but has 100k miles on the odo and an accident from 1990. I have been thinking of an asking price in the mid 30s but want a few more data points on Anniversary Models before I can be certain.

I'm hesitant to start posting photos and detailed history for fear of this coming across as an auction thread. I understand that makes valuing my particular car difficult, but what I'm really after is more data points on Anniversary cars.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:32 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Surely they must have supported their contentions with facts? Sounds like the contention is paint color. I must say that I've not dug around as to the Cabs out there so I can't (for now speak to any production data points until referenced.

Without question, many posters state (declare?) that all cabs were produced ONLY in two colors (Silver metallic or satin black). As to non-US import (color) numbers,...I'd like to see that source as well ( on the blues, that is). Clearly, you have one that contradicts one of the mantras that exists out on the web...not too surprising to me. Maybe others will chime in shortly.....

Always good to seek out the real deal.

What was the extent of the repair on the "accident"?

Doyle
Old 11-26-2014, 03:17 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Your car sounds to be truly unique, one of one, as I have never seen or heard about 25th produced in any other colour other than silver or Satin black with soft silk grey interior and black piping. I wonder if they did a pink one for UK market?

Given the truly unique nature of your car I would suggest that you are undervaluing your car - I would approach RM auctions with a reserve of $300,000. As its one of one, I wouldn't worry about condition, accident damage or silly little things like that either.

In foresight it was really silly of me to buy a 50th in one of the known colours of Geyser Grey, Graphite Grey & Black with pepito fabric or black leather interior and should have waited till a "unique" one off colour combo popped up a few years down the line.

Last edited by Mondrian; 11-26-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

you are a rennlist paid member , dont be bashfull about showing/ advertising your car, thats a benefit paid member have .. throw up some pics and lets have a look .
Old 11-26-2014, 11:06 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

As to the UK market, I do think it was pink......

D
Old 11-27-2014, 11:06 AM
sdoolin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I am personally only aware of 25th Anniversary Edition cars in Silver or Black as others have noted here, but I have not researched any of these cars in the Canadian market. The numbers of these cars in the US is pretty well documented, and seems to make yours either truly one of one, or at least one of very very few.

That would mean you could ask pretty much whatever you wanted for the car.

I would be very interested in some pics having never seen or even heard of a 25th Anniversary car in blue.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:57 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Provide the chassis #, please.

Doyle
Old 12-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Calnan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics, VIN, photo of option code sticker, photo of window sticker - any of these would help us help you... As the others have mentioned - there is a fair amount of info on the US 25th SE models - or at least enough that among a few of us (sdoolin, Doyle), I'd say we have all/most of the relevant info re: stated production numbers. As an owner of an '89 SE coupe, I have done a good amount of research on the model and have not heard of any colors used other than Silver Metallic and Satin Black Metallic. Interested to see what you can provide.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Elvis left the anniversary building a long time ago - wonder why!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Guess he sold it ..
didnt need us any more
Old 12-12-2014, 12:15 AM
cashmancab
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

He probably sold it because he started a " what's this car worth" thread and received numerous auction offers.

Quick Reply: Valuing a 911 Anniversary Edition