Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

MSD ignition control on 3.2; have you got this system installed on yours

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:42 AM
The car-nut
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD ignition control on 3.2; have you got this system installed on yours

Hello all:
Has anyone installed an MSD 6L ignition control on his/her 911 3.2?

I had installed one on my 911 SC, which resulted in excellent start up and great performance boost (much more responsive than teh OEM ignition). However, after installing the MSD 6L (6425) along with a MSD Ignition Blaster 2 Hi-Performance Coil on my 3.2, I could not see much of a change in either the start up or performance.

I wonder if anyone else has installed such a system on their 3.2?

Cheers
Zack
Old 11-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Zack,

While I'm a real big fan is MSD ignitions (we use a lot of them on carbureted and MFI cars), I think they are a great waste of money on the Motronic-equipped engines.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:22 PM
The car-nut
Advanced

Hi Steve:
I am reaching to that conclusion (after paying over $450 Can for them)!

I do not understand why Wayne Dempsey recommends it so highly in his 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 book!

Cheers,
Zack
Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 PM
obscene
Intermediate

It's a big improvement for the older cars. Not as much for a 3.2 with newer ignition and fuel injection technology.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

i think there is a big change as pointed out from SC to 3.2 . Different coil , technology etc . Loren and some wwest guy got into it i think , it was quite interesting reading but i dont know where the thread is. I think its a lot about where the charge is stored , one is built up in the box and the other is the coil. Personally i think on CIS cars stock is fine . A buddy of mine had a permatune and it was taking a little bit to start. I talked him into going back to stock and he says the car starts instantly and goes like a rocket , way more pull in the top end. We now think he had something wrong with his Permadoom. All that to say maybe your original CDI unit was going bad and it wasnt the MSD that gave it the huge lift, just a box that was working , who knows. does a 3.2 even have a CDI box stock ? im not sure how it works with the DME.

Last edited by theiceman; 11-27-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: MSD ignition control on 3.2; have you got this system installed on yours