Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question about fuchs wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 06:14 AM
HereIam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about fuchs wheels

I'm shopping for an 80-89 911. I have a few wheel questions...

I prefer fuchs wheels with the silver hearts, but they're less common than black wheels. Can silver hearts be made simply by removing powder coating and polishing the centers of some black wheels?

Alternatively, who makes a good replica wheel? I see a lot of bright chrome-centered wheels for sale online, but not the polished look of an authentic one.

Is it correct what I'm finding...that used original fuchs with polished hearts can sell for around $8000? Am I looking in the wrong place, or are they all typically that valuable?

As I shop used wheels, are there differences among the various years I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:02 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy some new ones in 17". More tire options.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

The Fuchs centers were anodized, not powder coated, to the best of my knowledge. 8K is absurd.
Take your time and read up on Fuchs, really quite the wheel

Please correct me if I have written in error
Old 11-17-2014, 11:06 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you are looking in the wrong place. Early Fuchs are available and they can all (original Fuchs) be refinished as you like. The silver on the wheels was anodized from the factory and it is a very durable finish so long as you clean them properly. I just delivered a set of '71 15" x 6" deep six Fuchs, 5 of them, to Harvey Weidman Wheels in Oroville, CA to have them restored to their original factory finish. The cost is about $325 per wheel for that process. He is the absolute best at this work and it shows in the finished product.

Whether you want to buy real original Fuchs, or like mentioned above, go with a new Fuchs in 17" is up to you. I do like the option of more tires being available for the 17" rims. Either way you go you can get the wheel finished any way you prefer.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:06 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just in case some people do not know an additional service that that Weidman's provides is painting your center caps. They offer either a three color or a five color as options and his wife and daughter Heidi are the ones that personally paint the centers. I just got mine back Saturday and they are a work of art. My caps were still in very good shape so the black did not have to be repainted, the charge was $120 for the four shipped. Considering the meticulous work involved I think more than reasonable. I have pictures of them if anybody would like to see them pm your email and I will send them. Curt
Old 11-17-2014, 06:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by jaeger86
Just in case some people do not know an additional service that that Weidman's provides is painting your center caps. They offer either a three color or a five color as options and his wife and daughter Heidi are the ones that personally paint the centers. I just got mine back Saturday and they are a work of art. My caps were still in very good shape so the black did not have to be repainted, the charge was $120 for the four shipped. Considering the meticulous work involved I think more than reasonable. I have pictures of them if anybody would like to see them pm your email and I will send them. Curt
what you have pics of the wife and daughter ? ur holding out !!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:05 PM
HereIam
Advanced

Originally Posted by theiceman
what you have pics of the wife and daughter ? ur holding out !!
LOL we have a grammar geek on our hands. From now on everyone be sure to diagram your sentences before you post!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM
HereIam
Advanced

Originally Posted by HereIam
LOL we have a grammar geek on our hands. From now on everyone be sure to diagram your sentences before you post!

I should take my own advice. I meant to say:

Everyone, be sure to diagram your sentences.
Or if you prefer...Everyone be sure to diagram his/her sentences.

~breaking into old sweats, thinking about Jr. High Language Arts class~
Old 11-17-2014, 07:20 PM
HereIam
Advanced

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I took a look at 17" wheels, but I'm not liking the modern look as much. What "tire limitations" are there to running stock rims instead of 17"? How much am I going to care if I'm not tracking the car? (Mostly I'll be taking long drives with PCA methinks).
Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg3.htm#item9

http://www.automotion.com/euromeiste...r-porsche.html
Old 11-26-2014, 08:22 PM
rshea
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default wheels

I recently restored an 88 Carrera sport coupe and had to decide what to do about wheels. It can with 16" Fuch 7'sand 8's.The ones that came on the car were in pretty bad shape. I read a lot about wheel structure failure on older Fuch wheels do to age and the fatigue factor. So I was reluctant to buy older original wheels off eBay, Reenlist, or the PCA site. You just never know what you are really getting. The options were to get them refinished or buy new wheels. After much research i decided to get new 17" 8's and 9's from Zuffenhous. They are a 3 piece Fuch style wheel (built to original Fuch specs) that are very strong, very light and a work of art. I had them painted to match the body color of the car. I have had nothing but compliments on the wheels. They are very high quality and are the same wheels used on a lot of the Singer built cars. I highly recommend them ...they are at least worth a look as you decide what to do. There are certainly cheaper ways to go...but these are certainly a great long term option.
Good luck on your research.
Attached Images    
Old 11-26-2014, 09:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

I am the worst on the Internet when it comes to typing and grammar
Old 11-27-2014, 10:47 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

rshea- Love your car and the wheels.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

What are "hearts"? Do you mean the petals?
Old 11-29-2014, 01:09 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a used set of 16x7s and 16x8s a couple of years ago and had them refinished at Wheel Enhancement. Total cost was around $3K. They did an RS style finish for me, matte anodizing on the petals and inner surface, with clear anodizing on the lip, and black painted centres. The downside is that the correct rear tire is a 245/45R16 which is only currently available in a Bridgestone RE-11.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Question about fuchs wheels