Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 Carrera - 915 Transmission upgraded&problems

Old 10-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What GT says about the 1-2 shift.
As for improvements - start with the simple stuff. Fresh Swepco, coupler & adjustment, all linkage soft parts replaced (ball cup, bushings, etc).
"precise" is probably not the word for a 915. Tactile yes, precise no. And yes, cold is touchy - hot and hi-revs are best. Mine likes the track...
-C
Old 10-30-2014, 01:04 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to remember is that the 915 down shifts into 1st better if the car is still rolling slowly.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by upier
I have a question. How does a short shift kit help if you are shifting too quickly? Doesn't that increase the problem? On the 915 you want slow deliberate shifts. Good solid shift bushings are a must.
im not sure what you mean but read my post . a SS kit helps nothing, and it has nothing to do with shifting too quickly really.

a SS makes it feel less tractor like , doent mean you should shift any faster. You are correct, as i said in my post a SS kit can make a problem a lot worse so make this one of you last upgrades after your repair.
In my case im pretty short so i have the seat pulled all the way up . When i went into second the gear shifter would actually hit the seat believe it or not .. guess the sponge is toast.

a SS kit was cheaper than the sponge and seat rebuild
Old 10-31-2014, 10:08 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

I prefer a 915 transmission. Take off in 1st, while shifting towards second, stop in neutral for just a quick pause then into second. If your clutch and trans are o.k then this works every time.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:56 PM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears

Any idea the mileage on the gear oil? People really underservice the gear oil these cars and new oil can often make a world of difference, especially if the previous owner put Redline or some other super slippery synthetic in there thinking it is better. You want a dyno gear oil in there.

+1 on gear oil. Changed my gear oil to Kendall 80w90 and made hella a differences, now my gear box is butter smooth PO had Redline in there...
Old 11-05-2014, 11:36 AM
kazmermiki
Advanced

Hey guys,

which short **** kit would you rather have: the original Porsche or Seine?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:39 PM
jamesjedi
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These transmissions do not shift anything like a new Honda would. They are old, sycros will be worn. Especially 1st and 2nd.

More than likely the notchy, slow shift will be something that you will have to live with. The 915 has always been known for this, especially if it has not been rebuilt.

When I addressed similar symptoms, I rebuilt the pedal cluster, replaced clutch helper spring, Swepco, and replaced shifter bushings. It dramatically changed the feel.

It did not address the worn syncros.

All of the above work was very inexpensive, but took a while as I had never done the before.

Last edited by jamesjedi; 11-05-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 PM
jamesjedi
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind that the 915 is a great gear box. I did not think so at first, felt like a stick in the mud! However, they are lite, reasonably easy to repair, and less costly than modern boxes to rebuild, even when compared to the G50, which is getting old as well.

Sienne shifter is a shift gate. It helps prevent the "money shift" = over revved engines = $$$

It may make it "feel" better as well.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesjedi
Keep in mind that the 915 is a great gear box. I did not think so at first, felt like a stick in the mud! However, they are lite, reasonably easy to repair, and less costly than modern boxes to rebuild, even when compared to the G50, which is getting old as well.

Sienne shifter is a shift gate. It helps prevent the "money shift" = over revved engines = $$$

It may make it "feel" better as well.
Really an excellent point re the inconvenience=protection factor of the 915 transmission, jamesjedi!

Just back from 3 days of track driving my 85 stock Carrera at VIR. All other (transmission) drivers quake in fear of going from 5th to 3rd becoz they might end up in 1st (I believe the correct scientific term is "money shift") ... But not me...I have to wrestle the butch into 2nd and the coax/prod/plead for all the rest. Arm is still sore 3 days out but the 915 carpy synchros aactually do have some HPDe/racing advantaged that protect the engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.2 Carrera - 915 Transmission upgraded&problems