Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Unsolicited praise – Fred Cook’s replacement fuse panels

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 10:03 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Unsolicited praise – Fred Cook’s replacement fuse panels

NO VESTED INTEREST. NOT a paid advertisement!

I want to post this to fellow air cooled owners regarding the fuse panel I got from Fred Cook. Many of you might know that Fred makes an updated (and slightly expanded) fuse panel for air cooled 911’s, using ATO fuses.

I got tired of the tangle of old wires, and the failing old style fuses and unreliable panel connections, so I jumped in and ordered the Deluxe version of Fred’s panel with headlight relays, and with the extra male connectors to 20,19,18,17 and with 13,14,15 jumpers per “AZ’s” suggestion on a previous Pelican post (no extra cost!). It also comes with all new fuses in place.

I got it today, and I have to echo the other laudatory comments that have been posted in the past on the Pelican Porsche forum regarding Fred’s high quality work. This panel is worth every bit of the money he charges – and I am certain that his profit margin is slim (mind you, you pay for expertise and experience and professionalism – or you can flub around and half-a** it with a self-made slightly unsophisticated product).

I have yet to mount this panel, and the usual expectations are that it takes 6-8 hours of
concentrated work, so I’m not looking forward to that end of the ordeal.

However, I want to make sure Fred gets the credit and recognition for his high quality product, and to make sure that those of you who are reaching a similar conclusion regarding your old underperforming fuse panel will know about this option.

Fred’s email address is gacook@windstream.net, or find him on the Pelican forum.
Here are some pics of the panel out of the box:
Attached Images         
Old 10-26-2014, 10:15 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

I can appreciate that those of you who daily drive these cars might feel the need for this reliability
Personally I feel it takes a lot away from the classic look and appeal of these cars
Old 10-26-2014, 10:17 AM
stasha
Racer

Cook's panel fits under the stock fuse box cover, so the improvement is not visible unless you know what to look for.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:54 PM
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

That looks fantastic. Is there a link to Fred's products, or they on PP?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-26-2014, 02:03 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
That looks fantastic. Is there a link to Fred's products, or they on PP?
Thanks,
Dave
I only know them on PP. Search "cook" or prob email him directly, see above posting. Very personable, takes personal responsibility for product and installation.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:39 PM
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Mistake, sorry, I posted to wrong thread.
Dave

Last edited by j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net; 10-27-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:06 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

I installed one of Fred's fuse panels two Winters ago and it's a nice improvement over the bullet fuses ... he's also great with personal support for his products !

Cheers
Phil
Old 10-26-2014, 06:54 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the basic price?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

although i'm sure its a great quality product , and looks to be top notch . i'm sure those who welded on flairs to their long hoods and made other changes from stock didn't ever dream it would impact their originality or value 30 years down the road. Personally i just think anytime you can keep something stock , do it .

But having said all that if you keep all the original fuse blocks , fuses and removed parts , that would be a great compromise so it can be returned to original condition if ever desired.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:23 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
although i'm sure its a great quality product , and looks to be top notch . i'm sure those who welded on flairs to their long hoods and made other changes from stock didn't ever dream it would impact their originality or value 30 years down the road. Personally i just think anytime you can keep something stock , do it .

But having said all that if you keep all the original fuse blocks , fuses and removed parts , that would be a great compromise so it can be returned to original condition if ever desired.
Yes, you are correct about eventual regrets about altering from stock. A hot rod only stays "hot" for a few years, then becomes passé, while stock only gains in value. Have you seen the prices for a Rambler, for instance? Who woulda' thunk!

Quick Reply: Unsolicited praise – Fred Cook’s replacement fuse panels