Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:45 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Road Trip

Driving my "new to me" 1972 911 from Ottawa Canada to North Carolina.

14 hrs plus i have to import the car into the USA.

Here is my route if you care to help if need be...
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like great fun... enjoy. Take pics. We've done the run from Kingston to Raleigh way too many times though I still enjoy the drive!

Gary
Old 10-24-2014, 01:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

i have done a good chunk of that trip amny times .. The Pennsylvania turnpike is just painfull. just a long boring drive ...

i would plan on more like 15 hours tho at least .. hope you found a good car ..
Old 10-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Great way to get to know your new ride...I love a good road trip when time isn't critical. Have a safe one.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:31 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

NO WAY. LOOOL.

I grew up in Osgoode, small town south of Ottawa.... and I bought my car just outside of Raleigh, NC!!!

Small world. Can't believe there was a '72 in Osgoode and I didn't know about it. I'm ashamed of myself.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:02 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Actually 2. But I sold my last one some 15 years ago.
In Virginia. George Madon university. Need to stop for food/Starbucks leaded fuel. The car has been running great, I can't seem to shut off 100% of the heat so my head is toasty and toes cold.
The best part of the drive is now. Going through from Roanoke to charlotte. Traffic is heavy. Expecially through Pennsylvania. the 911 is much better on gas than the Cayenne. I did the same trip last Aug and I'd swear I bought twice as much gas
Old 10-25-2014, 08:55 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Had a great trip. First picture is my friend that i bought the car from. Downtown Ottawa. One day after the horrible shooting, but people were going about their business as normal. He is sorry to see her go but I assured him I will take good care of her.

Next picture is at the border doing the customs paperwork. I was brought aside to get the usual cavity search. "Any weapons, knives, drugs I should know about before i search your car?" The immigration guy asks. I said the car is 40 years old, you may not find a gun, but bed bugs? Maybe.
After the search i went to Customs and they imported the car. I had to pay 2.5% fee of selling price and wait for the guard to do the paperwork. Took about an hour at both stops. They clearly get paid by the hour.
After the stressful part was done it was just down to me driving the 900 odd miles.
Took some back roads from Ogsdenburg to find I81. Had some fun on the secondary roads. Eventually made it to the highway and breezed thorough syracuse NY. And when i hit traffic in PA is was bumper to bumper till i got to VA.
Around dinner time i stopped in Harrisonburg VA and got some Italian at some mom and pop shop. Then when i went out to the car it wouldn't start. I had lights so it must have been the solenoid on the starter. The guys from the restaurant helped me push the car for a bump start and off i went. It was about 4 hours to get home and i was hoping to get there without stopping in fear that i wouldn't start again.
But my bladder gave to the temptation and so i stopped in N.C. about 1 hour to go. I just left the car running while i filled it up. Got home at about 11pm after leaving osgoode at 7am. One long long drive for one day but i made it.
So the last picture is of the car in front of my house. Will need to make some space in the garage. Thanks for the support. I'm glad i didn't need to make any help me calls but those can sometimes turn out for the best. Might make a friend during the journey.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Road Trip